Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options
suzievv
suzievv Posts: 410 Member
So, I've learned a lot here on these forums. One thing I'm very curious about but haven't seen any discussion on yet is GMOs. What do you think? Are GMOs bad for us?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Not to me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0

... without the hundreds of years of safety testing in humans. Kind of a big deal that we know apples and corn are safe to eat. In a few hundred years, today's genetically-engineered foods will have caught up in terms of safety testing. That's the thing.

You've heard the saying: one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    A few comments have reminded me of another question I have, which is: Are pest-control methods used on organic foods just as bad as any possible negative effect of GMO foods?

I used to be very concerned about the possible effects of tampering with nature. I thought that genetically modifying foods was "playing God." Now, I'm not so sure.
  • sydney_bosque
    sydney_bosque Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    A few comments have reminded me of another question I have, which is: Are pest-control methods used on organic foods just as bad as any possible negative effect of GMO foods?

I used to be very concerned about the possible effects of tampering with nature. I thought that genetically modifying foods was "playing God." Now, I'm not so sure.

It entirely depends on their certification. Organic apple sauce may only be made with organic sugar. Only if it says 100% organic does it mean everything in it is organic. Even then, there are still pesticides at play. Organic really only holds weight in the produce section. You have the ability to wash it of any residue still present, and you know how it's prepared. Organic labels beyond the produce aisle are essentially useless. Not as useless, however, as the term "all natural." Which is entirely un-regulated. You could slap it on velveta and nobody could say anything about it. I think your best bet on anything not produce related would be local over organic. Most local growers, or locally-produced peanut butter, honey, etc. are grown by people who believe in the values behind organic methods. That's what really counts.