Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• kaialexander17
    kaialexander17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Someone please help! I've lost 4 pounds since my last weigh-in but I've gained two inches around my waist! D: i was a 26 inch waist now im a 28 inch waist :( i want to get to a 21 inch waist, someone please help me!! :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Examine what you have eaten that may be different, and stresses in life (the water retained from elevated cortisol from stress usually starts at belly).

Obviously you didn't gain fat that fast in that spot. Unless you mean your last weigh-in was 2 months ago.

Also - you may have intended a different topic - since this is about recomp - which means no weight loss.
    It doesn't sound like you are attempting recomp since you didn't comment negatively about losing weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Someone please help! I've lost 4 pounds since my last weigh-in but I've gained two inches around my waist! D: i was a 26 inch waist now im a 28 inch waist :( i want to get to a 21 inch waist, someone please help me!! :(

Be sure you're measuring in the exact same place - the smallest part of your waist. Sometimes I can't get the same measurement twice in a row. It can be tricky.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've read all the posts / pages to this thread ... but if I read this awhile ago, I am sorry that I'm just not remembering it:

Is there a rule of thumb for what percentage body fat to be at to start a recomp?

I'm 5' 1/2", 123 lbs. When I look at pics / sites that estimate BF%, I think I'm between 25-30%. I used an online calculator that asked for height, weight, waist and neck size, and I got 27%. I guess my ideal weight is 105?

I am tempted to just keep losing until I hit 110ish. I am fine eating at a deficit. But am wondering what those with some experience think.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've read all the posts / pages to this thread ... but if I read this awhile ago, I am sorry that I'm just not remembering it:

Is there a rule of thumb for what percentage body fat to be at to start a recomp?

I'm 5' 1/2", 123 lbs. When I look at pics / sites that estimate BF%, I think I'm between 25-30%. I used an online calculator that asked for height, weight, waist and neck size, and I got 27%. I guess my ideal weight is 105?

I am tempted to just keep losing until I hit 110ish. I am fine eating at a deficit. But am wondering what those with some experience think.

If your goal is to lose 20 more lbs, its not a recomp. Also, to hit 105, you would have to lose no lbm and hit 18% bf. Assuming you are 30% bf. I really wouldnt get hung up in a number. If anything concentrate on how you look.

I would cut slowly; 10-15% below maintenance, get about 100g of protein, and follow a solid progressive overload resistance program. If you want, time some cho/pro around your workouts and spread pro through out your day. Calories and macros are the most important but timing does have some potential of helping.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

You shouldn't think about "recomp" until you are pretty lean already. With more bodyfat, your hormones are in a less ideal position for muscle building.
  • youdoyou2016
    edited February 2017
    Options

You shouldn't think about "recomp" until you are pretty lean already. With more bodyfat, your hormones are in a less ideal position for muscle building.

Thanks -- I just realized that I just can't tell how lean I am. Lately a lot of people are telling me I'm really, really thin ... but I guess this is one of those things where my brain isn't quite caught up to reality yet. I've been the opposite of "thin" for a very long time. Unless, of course, they're just being nice and I really should weigh 105 lbs and should lose around 15. Oh, brother ... ?!

Pardon my weirdness :smile:
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm *recomping* but truly, I want to cut but can't get in the mindset. I'm lifting heavy and eating at maintenxe but have been for a while.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be good to add to the statement - "You shouldn't think about "recomp" until you are pretty lean already. With more bodyfat, your hormones are in a less ideal position for muscle building."

If you are already or almost at a healthy weight, but because of a bad diet and exercise routine have ended up skinny fat (higher BF% than desired), don't attempt to get "pretty lean" by going underweight with more of the same methods.
    Ready for recomp already.

Or define "pretty lean".

"Pretty lean" will vary for everyone hence why I wouldn't want to define it. From my reading it would seem to mean a bodyfat percentage would be in the region of 15% for males and 20% for females. However it will vary for everyone.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You have a Normal BMI of 24 and are likely in a normal body fat range if you think you are in the 25-30% body fat range visually. What is your ultimate bf goal?

I did recomp at BMI 24 last summer because I was "squishier" (is that a word?) than I wanted to be and was starting to get a little muffin top. I saw quick results-- flatter stomach, smaller abdomen, and overall felt and looked more defined.

I would say if you are wanting to maintain your weight, build muscle and lower your body fat percentage then go for it! Why not try? That way even when you do decide to start cutting again you will start out with more lean body mass than you have currently. Otherwise you could lose more muscle and be "squishy" thin instead of firm when you get to goal.

Edited for clarification
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This article suggests that for optimal recomposition, men should be in the 10-12% bf range and women in the 19-24% range.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kkress92 wrote: »
    This article suggests that for optimal recomposition, men should be in the 10-12% bf range and women in the 19-24% range.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

I was "stuck" on a plateau, so I figured I might as well do something productive. I might have been at a bf% that was not optimal for recomp but still got results preferable to not doing anything.

ETA-- Here is an interesting MFP blog:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-macronutrient-calculations-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I was "stuck" on a plateau, so I figured I might as well do something productive. I might have been at a bf% that was not optimal for recomp but still got results preferable to not doing anything.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-macronutrient-calculations-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle/

That blog looks ridiculous to me in terms of macro setup. It would have me eating 315g of protein per day on both training days and off days. His ratios are nowhere near the (far more sensible) ones I've seen posed by very knowledgeable people, such as in threads like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That blog looks ridiculous to me in terms of macro setup. It would have me eating 315g of protein per day on both training days and off days. His ratios are nowhere near the (far more sensible) ones I've seen posed by very knowledgeable people, such as in threads like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Ditto - some of the comments after the blog show the same issue.

Plus - when someone is willing to unnecessarily succumb to faddish vernacular right at the start "to burn fat and gain (lean) muscle" - makes me just look for problems.

Gee - tell me how to gain fat muscle just in case I wanted to. How do I get a rib-eye besides going to the butcher!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Ditto - some of the comments after the blog show the same issue.

Plus - when someone is willing to unnecessarily succumb to faddish vernacular right at the start "to burn fat and gain (lean) muscle" - makes me just look for problems.

Gee - tell me how to gain fat muscle just in case I wanted to. How do I get a rib-eye besides going to the butcher!

Bro, do you even AmazonFresh?
  • youdoyou2016
    Options

You have a Normal BMI of 24 and are likely in a normal body fat range if you think you are in the 25-30% body fat range visually. What is your ultimate bf goal?

I did recomp at BMI 24 last summer because I was "squishier" (is that a word?) than I wanted to be and was starting to get a little muffin top. I saw quick results-- flatter stomach, smaller abdomen, and overall felt and looked more defined.

I would say if you are wanting to maintain your weight, build muscle and lower your body fat percentage then go for it! Why not try? That way even when you do decide to start cutting again you will start out with more lean body mass than you have currently. Otherwise you could lose more muscle and be "squishy" thin instead of firm when you get to goal.

Edited for clarification

Yeah, squishy is precisely how I'd describe myself. :smile: Thanks for sharing your experience -- it helps / makes sense.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Perhaps it would be good to add to the statement - "You shouldn't think about "recomp" until you are pretty lean already. With more bodyfat, your hormones are in a less ideal position for muscle building."

If you are already or almost at a healthy weight, but because of a bad diet and exercise routine have ended up skinny fat (higher BF% than desired), don't attempt to get "pretty lean" by going underweight with more of the same methods.
    Ready for recomp already.

Or define "pretty lean".

I'm glad you clarified this point because this is where I'm at. I'm 5'7" and just got back down to 131 lbs. I have PCOS, most likely with IR (previously had prediabetes) and my belly has always been by far my trouble spot. I've learned from experimenting that if I start to go below 130, I really get too thin in places but I still have a very disproportionate amount of fat in my belly (and somewhat my upper thighs). I also have no idea what my BF% is because of how it's distributed. Recomp it is!!

Reading this thread was also helpful because I did physical therapy last year and the PT really recommended I stick with body weight workouts and/or machines for strength. Starting with body weight and it's good to know progress may be quite slow. (I have MS and some weakness that's likely from that; also hypermobility and get minor injuries relatively easily).