Keto diet

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between a keto plan and low carbs? I'm pretty new to this, trying to stay under 36 total carbs a day. I don't test for ketosis but if feeling like the army has marched through my mouth even after drinking a lot of water, I would say I'm there.

@Netdotnotes A ketogenic diet is a very low carb diet. A low carb diet is considered to be under 100-150g of carbs per day. Typically a ketogenic diet is under 50g per day but those with metabollic disease may need to go lower to stay in ketosis, and those who are very active and time carbs around exercise may go higher.

At 36 g per day, you are most likely in ketosis, at least most of the time, depending on your health.

The army marching through your mouth is not a typical sign of it though. Have you increased sodium to at LEAST 3000-5000 mg per day? That's over 1-2 tsp of table salt.
  • NoFatNoFit
    NoFatNoFit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What's the difference between a keto plan and low carbs? I'm pretty new to this, trying to stay under 36 total carbs a day. I don't test for ketosis but if feeling like the army has marched through my mouth even after drinking a lot of water, I would say I'm there.

@Netdotnotes A ketogenic diet is a very low carb diet. A low carb diet is considered to be under 100-150g of carbs per day. Typically a ketogenic diet is under 50g per day but those with metabollic disease may need to go lower to stay in ketosis, and those who are very active and time carbs around exercise may go higher.

At 36 g per day, you are most likely in ketosis, at least most of the time, depending on your health.

The army marching through your mouth is not a typical sign of it though. Have you increased sodium to at LEAST 3000-5000 mg per day? That's over 1-2 tsp of table salt.

I've also always wanted to know this. Thank you!

As for OP, I've been doing Keto on and off for a few months. I sometimes get light headed and headachey but feel better when I eat something salty and fatty =D
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    KrishnaKrolczyk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wa surprised at how slowly the weight came back after going off the diet for 2 months. I wonder if its because it isn't calorie restricted. The body doesn't really think its starving. It just switches fuel sources.
  • Netdotnotes
    Netdotnotes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I rarely look at my sodium levels, didn't really know it was a big deal. I just looked at this past month's graph of my sodium intake and see that for the most part I'm running under 2300mg, several times even under 1000mg, only twice over 2300mm. I have had a couple light headed moments. I do add a sprinkle of salt on foods you'd expect to and add whatever a recipe calls for when I cook but holy crap 3000-5000mg a day is a lot of salt. I guess I'll have to boost that up a bit. I am on BP meds one of which is a diuretic. Is adding that much salt going to mess up my meds and why exactly is it important to get so much salt? Do you lose faster with it? The first 3 weeks I lost 11 pounds, the last two zero even following my calories, fat, carb and protein macros very closely.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    The keto diet is naturally diruretic on it's own and that causes the body to expel a lot of sodium with the waste water. The need for extra salt is to replace the salt that is being disposed of as a result of the diet itself.

I am on a small dose of Lisonopril myself (slightly elevated BP from non-weight/diet factors) and the extra salt does not affect my BP readings - last week at the Dr's my BP was 130/80 and I eat a ton of salt.