Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Add me :) eating 1,200 cal. Or less Per day

Replies

• reinatwinkle
    reinatwinkle Posts: 22 Member
    Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184
    I need to loose to get my ideal weight (what is my ideal wieght base on the above info?)

To give you an idea, I am 5'1", 29, 164lbs. MFP sets me at 1200cals. I reset that to 1400cals. I also workout 60mins a day and eat back half my calories..

They say my ideal weight is 65kg.? Is that true??
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I was planning to 900 .i was just asking for advice if 900 is good?? Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Nope. Not good. MINIMUM of 1200 calories. And that's a NET goal. If you exercise, it should be more.

What happens when somwone eat below 1,200? I just joined this app.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Muscle loss, hair loss, loss of period, organ weakness and shutdown...the list of issues goes on

@reinatwinkle I've had hair loss due to anemia and wouldn't wish this on anyone. The problem is, you don't get a lot of the symptoms of malnutrition right away - hair loss might start months after you've been under-eating. So you can't undereat and assume all is well because you are not having symptoms right away.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I was planning to 900 .i was just asking for advice if 900 is good?? Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Nope. Not good. MINIMUM of 1200 calories. And that's a NET goal. If you exercise, it should be more.

What happens when somwone eat below 1,200? I just joined this app.

Muscle loss, hair loss, hormonal problems, loss in bone density...let me know if you need me to continue.

Yes

Please remember that your heart is a muscle and it works incredibly hard to keep you alive. If you are not eating enough for basic functions such as breathing and to keep your heart beating, you can cause yourself to get heart failure and well...that's not something you want to deal with, let alone at 25 years old.

I ran your numbers (sedentary activity level) and you should be eating about 1600 calories to lose weight. This number drops as you lose weight because you require less fuel to run your body.

So if you started at 900...where would you go from there? It's better to start at the higher number so you have room to drop safely.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184
    I need to loose to get my ideal weight (what is my ideal wieght base on the above info?)

To give you an idea, I am 5'1", 29, 164lbs. MFP sets me at 1200cals. I reset that to 1400cals. I also workout 60mins a day and eat back half my calories..

65kg is a perfectly healthy weight at your height.

I am one inch shorter than you and weigh in at 63kg.
  • reinatwinkle
    Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Do you think from 184 lbs to 65kg.. if i will be eating 1200 per day without excercise and protein based food. How many months will i achieve my ideal weight?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you give us your stats (age, height, weight, how much you have to lose) we can help you with your MFP settings.

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Your "ideal" weight depends on a number of factors. So when you google it, it will be a range.

Some of the factors include: lean muscle to fat ratio. Women with higher %'s of lean muscle can look healthy and firm at higher weights. Frame size - we're not all the same. Smaller frames most likely need to weigh less. Body type: I'm a pear, so I'm thin on top first (never been thin on the bottom)...but not every pear, hourglass, apple, etc is going to be the same either.

Set an initial goal....somewhere in the middle. As you get closer, you'll figure it out.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I would start out with a goal weight of 145, which would put you at the high end of a healthy weight range. As you get closer to that weight, you can figure out if you'll be happy there or of you'd like to lose a few more.

Since that means you'll be trying to lose 40 lbs, you should tell MFP that you want to lose anywhere from 1-1.5 lb/week. As you start to lose weight, you'll want to lower that rate to 1 lb/week. And when you're about 15 lbs from your goal, you'll want to lower it again to .5 lb/week.

Once you go through MFP's guided set up, it'll give you your daily calorie goal. Buy a good Scale and use it to weigh everything you eat, so you know exactly how many calories you're consuming per day. If you want to exercise (it's a good idea for both your health, to help you keep lean muscle mass, and to make it easier for you maintain your calorie goal), add some to your weekly routine and eat back at least some of the extra calories you'll get.

And finally, try not to set a deadline for your weight loss. It's a slow process but you'll successfully reach your goal if you stick to the plan MFP gives you and you don't try to rush it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Do you think from 184 lbs to 65kg.. if i will be eating 1200 per day without excercise and protein based food. How many months will i achieve my ideal weight?

It may take about six months or more - but your basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is the minimum calories you need to take in to survive is more than 1200.

I think you need to take the idea of 1200 out of your head. 1200 is the minimum for short women (like we're talking 5') or older ladies. You are neither.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,670 Member
    If you give us your stats (age, height, weight, how much you have to lose) we can help you with your MFP settings.

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

According to this, assuming a sedentary lifestyle:
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=25&lbs=185&in=64&act=1.2&f=1

Your maintenance calories (to neither gain, nor lose) would be around 1880 cals a day.

To lose around a pound a week, you'd be able to eat 1380 cals a day.
    I would not recommend going below 1200, just as everyone else has said here, and to ensure that you do eat most, if not all of your exercise calories back.

• reinatwinkle
    TeaBea wrote: »

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Your "ideal" weight depends on a number of factors. So when you google it, it will be a range.

Some of the factors include: lean muscle to fat ratio. Women with higher %'s of lean muscle can look healthy and firm at higher weights. Frame size - we're not all the same. Smaller frames most likely need to weigh less. Body type: I'm a pear, so I'm thin on top first (never been thin on the bottom)...but not every pear, hourglass, apple, etc is going to be the same either.

Set an initial goal....somewhere in the middle. As you get closer, you'll figure it out.

I registered to herbalife.they say my ideal is 65 kg. And i am 184 lbs today.. i have 22 kg. Of fat and i do not remember all the data. But i remember they say that i only need to get rid of the excess fat which is 19kg.
  • sammyliftsandeats

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

I registered to herbalife.they say my ideal is 65 kg. And i am 184 lbs today.. i have 22 kg. Of fat and i do not remember all the data. But i remember they say that i only need to get rid of the excess fat which is 19kg.

Ditch the herbalife.
  • reinatwinkle

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Ditch the herbalife.

Are their info wrong? It is just my 3rd day enrolled with them
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    OP, most people would see the potential list of fantastic side effects of VLCDs (like hair loss, amenorrhea, loss of muscle [including really important ones like your heart], loss of bone density [because who really cares if you get osteoporosis and break a hip when you're old?], death) and think we're blowing things out of proportion. We are presenting the worst-case-scenario, because most people don't stick with a VLCD long enough to get those side effects, and that's a good thing.

So if those are the rare side effects, what's the most likely outcome if you try to live on something like 900 calories? It's that you'll trigger over-eating, because your body really fights back when you try to starve it. The most likely outcome is that you can maybe stick with it for a little while, then you'll end up gaining it all back plus more.

(Note, in case the OP really is pro-ana: this is not a challenge! If you read my post above and think "I can stick with it longer than most people," you need to see a doctor. If you do manage to stick with it long enough, your prize is very exciting, very serious health problems, with a real risk of dying).
  • sammyliftsandeats

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Ditch the herbalife.

The info they provided you with for your ideal weight is not wrong.

But you don't need them to lose weight.

The protein powders they sell are subpar, expensive, and there are reports that some people developed internal organ damage while taking their supplements.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat the appropriate amount of calories, track them using this app, and weigh your food to make sure you are eating the right amount. Exercise is good, but not necessary to lose weight. Lots of people lose weight without exercise.

You do not need pills, shakes, wraps, teas, or any of the other junk pyramid scheme marketing companies try to push on you.
  • reinatwinkle
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, most people would see the potential list of fantastic side effects of VLCDs (like hair loss, amenorrhea, loss of muscle [including really important ones like your heart], loss of bone density [because who really cares if you get osteoporosis and break a hip when you're old?], death) and think we're blowing things out of proportion. We are presenting the worst-case-scenario, because most people don't stick with a VLCD long enough to get those side effects, and that's a good thing.

So if those are the rare side effects, what's the most likely outcome if you try to live on something like 900 calories? It's that you'll trigger over-eating, because your body really fights back when you try to starve it. The most likely outcome is that you can maybe stick with it for a little while, then you'll end up gaining it all back plus more.

(Note, in case the OP really is pro-ana: this is not a challenge! If you read my post above and think "I can stick with it longer than most people," you need to see a doctor. If you do manage to stick with it long enough, your prize is very exciting, very serious health problems, with a real risk of dying).

Oh i already said i will do the 1200 people :|
  • reinatwinkle

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Ditch the herbalife.

The info they provided you with for your ideal weight is not wrong.

But you don't need them to lose weight.

The protein powders they sell are subpar, expensive, and there are reports that some people developed internal organ damage while taking their supplements.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat the appropriate amount of calories, track them using this app, and weigh your food to make sure you are eating the right amount. Exercise is good, but not necessary to lose weight. Lots of people lose weight without exercise.

You do not need pills, shakes, wraps, teas, or any of the other junk pyramid scheme marketing companies try to push on you.

Thank you <3
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Age 25
    Height 5'4
    Weight 184

Ditch the herbalife.

2 things. You need to lose excess fat.....but when we lose weight we lose fat+existing lean muscle. There are ways to limit lean muscle loss - moderate weekly weight loss goal, adequate protein and strength training. If Herbalife implied just fat loss using their product.....well, that's advertising for you. Digital scales are wildly unreliable for body fat %'s, I'm sure how they got numbers for you.

You won't learn anything about your eating habits using meal replacement shakes. Use your existing shakes as a protein supplement, maybe replace a meal here or there. But losing weight is just step ONE. Then you have a whole lifetime to keep that weight loss off. Eating regular food, but measuring & logging portions helps you bring about real lifestyle changes.
  • whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member

You've been told countless times that 1200 isn't enough for you! Unless your 5 foot or under, which you've already said your not, or unless your profile pic is 50 years out of date you need to eat more!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    I'm 4'11" started at 143lbs and I'm currently down to 120lbs. I am losing weight eating 1370 calories a day. Try to add some exercise because I know I look thin at 110lbs but I look great at 120lbs when I'm toned and have some muscle. You probably don't want to end up looking "skinny fat" where you reach your goal weight but still look soft. I have a couple apps on my phone and do about 20 minutes of exercise a day and I know it's not a lot but I will increase it as I get use to it. Eat at minimum 1200 but you can eat more depending on your needs, I increased mine from 1200 to 1370 calories to fit my needs.
  • reinatwinkle
    whiplashy wrote: »

You've been told countless times that 1200 isn't enough for you! Unless your 5 foot or under, which you've already said your not, or unless your profile pic is 50 years out of date you need to eat more!

This app told me that i need only 1.200 because i am working everyday 1p hours daily no time to work out.
This discussion has been closed.