Any women trying to gain weight

Replies

• txkmount wrote: »
    I too am trying to gain weight and have found some beneficial info on a website called Bony to Bombshell. I haven't joined their program (yet) just read some of their articles. Best of luck!

I have seen that too. There is someone I saw online that is the same size as me and now she is a professional body builder.

amber callahan before and after

b6wzeozn51lw.png
  • So how is everyone doing today?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited February 2017
    Does anyone else not like that fact that this app doesn't congratulate you when you gain weight only when you loose weight

OMG this bugs me so much. I'm trying to gain (though I don't think I'll be helpful as I'm gaining because I'm growing a small human). But it bugs me SO much that 1) the ticker on my profile can't even be set up properly for weight gain and 2) the app/website doesn't mark calories OVER my goal as green and say "Katie gained 1 lb since her last weight in" or anything even though I have the settings marked as gaining weight.

My $0.02 is that there's really no reason to wait to start lifting if that's your plan. It won't stop you from gaining fat, but you can start strengthening muscles while you're at it.
  • whitney12rodriguez
    whitney12rodriguez Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2017
    I know this app is targeted more toward people trying to loose weight. It's sad. Omg I just wrote a whole reply and it only posted the first two sentences.
  • moramissy
    moramissy Posts: 1 Member
    New here...but trying to gain about 5-10 lbs. My weight fluctuates between 110 and 113. Ideally I'd like to hit 120 and stay there but it's difficult. Workout at home but am going to start hitting the gym for more weight training variation. Good luck to everyone trying to gain!
  • whitney12rodriguez
    whitney12rodriguez Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2017
    moramissy wrote: »
    New here...but trying to gain about 5-10 lbs. My weight fluctuates between 110 and 113. Ideally I'd like to hit 120 and stay there but it's difficult. Workout at home but am going to start hitting the gym for more weight training variation. Good luck to everyone trying to gain!

Hey, welcome
  • Hey ladies guess what?!?
  • Making gains, you can do it ladies!
  • Bones2Toned
    Bones2Toned Posts: 73 Member
    Hi ladies,
    Feel free to add me!
    About myself:
    As a teen I was 118-120 the most. With life stresses I lost weight and hit 85 the lowest. I had to get a nutritionist and she got my weight up to 105.
    Then as a busy working adult and student, I never had the time to really sit down and indulge in my food and when I did, I always had to get right up.
    I noticed recently I couldn't fit my clothes as usual. I'm usually between 0-4 in pants with hips.

The way I started gaining weight was sitting down and eating. I've studied my nutrition, body, and weight gain for years. It's all about listening to your body, eating more than what you burn, and strength training to tone your fat gains.

I've gained 3lbs in the last 3 weeks. I only increased my calorie intake by 125 cals per day. So the trick is to calculate your BMR and see how many additional calories a day you will need to gain. If your BMR is 1700-2100, add 125-300 calories based on how quickly you want to gain. Snacking on healthy foods and carb sensed foods have helped. I don't eat much protein, which I should bring it contributes to lean muscle growth. However, this is my umteenth time starting over and I'll pursue my goals a month at a time and keep it going. I'll definitely say log daily just to get an idea of how close or far you are from your daily intake goals. But don't be too critical of yourself.

Let's all add each other for motivation. I love that people have goals but we should support each other because weight gain for women is usually looked down upon. Everyone's goals are different and unique.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    ksmallw3 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,
    Feel free to add me!
    About myself:
    As a teen I was 118-120 the most. With life stresses I lost weight and hit 85 the lowest. I had to get a nutritionist and she got my weight up to 105.
    Then as a busy working adult and student, I never had the time to really sit down and indulge in my food and when I did, I always had to get right up.
    I noticed recently I couldn't fit my clothes as usual. I'm usually between 0-4 in pants with hips.

The way I started gaining weight was sitting down and eating. I've studied my nutrition, body, and weight gain for years. It's all about listening to your body, eating more than what you burn, and strength training to tone your fat gains.

I've gained 3lbs in the last 3 weeks. I only increased my calorie intake by 125 cals per day. So the trick is to calculate your BMR and see how many additional calories a day you will need to gain. If your BMR is 1700-2100, add 125-300 calories based on how quickly you want to gain. Snacking on healthy foods and carb sensed foods have helped. I don't eat much protein, which I should bring it contributes to lean muscle growth. However, this is my umteenth time starting over and I'll pursue my goals a month at a time and keep it going. I'll definitely say log daily just to get an idea of how close or far you are from your daily intake goals. But don't be too critical of yourself.

Let's all add each other for motivation. I love that people have goals but we should support each other because weight gain for women is usually looked down upon. Everyone's goals are different and unique.

1lb a week is a great pace. Keep it up. Also, don't be surprised and dont' get discouraged if there are a few weeks you lose. It tends to happen when you overfeed and is no different than when people lose weight. But you definitely seem to be a on a good track.

• eatyeat
    eatyeat Posts: 1 Member
    Hi girls!
    I am 5'2 and weigh 92 pounds. I'm trying to gain weight.
    According to the internet, my BMR is 1250. I usually eat around 1300.
    Eating more calories is difficult for me, as it upsets my stomach. What foods should I eat that are high in calories but light for the stomach. Is yougurt a good option?
  • psuLemon
    eatyeat wrote: »
    Hi girls!
    I am 5'2 and weigh 92 pounds. I'm trying to gain weight.
    According to the internet, my BMR is 1250. I usually eat around 1300.
    Eating more calories is difficult for me, as it upsets my stomach. What foods should I eat that are high in calories but light for the stomach. Is yougurt a good option?

Bodies aren't full based on calories. They are filled by the make up of those calories (proteins, fats, carbs, fiber) and the volume. Also, if you want to gain weight, you won't be able to do it by only eat 50 calories above your BMR. In fact, you will probably continue to lose. You need to hit above your TDEE, which is all the calories you burn in a given day. The below thread should be helpful. Is yogurt good, yes, especially full fat.. and even better when you top it with granola... and chocolate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    I just completed shortcut to size about 5 weeks ago. Great program. I'm coming off my bulk and have started cutting after dropping to maintenance. Hope there is some evidence of the program left :)
  • cathipa wrote: »
    I just completed shortcut to size about 5 weeks ago. Great program. I'm coming off my bulk and have started cutting after dropping to maintenance. Hope there is some evidence of the program left :)
    OMG REALLY?? Finally a woman on SHORTCUT TO SIZE!!! did you see any results? I am on week 5 now phase 2 of the program
  • How much did you gain?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    I did a slow bulk from 7/2016 until 3 weeks ago. I gained about 10 pounds, but couldn't stand the fluff any more so I'm hoping some of it is muscle. I was doing another 12 week program prior to S2S. I definitely saw strength gains. I had to modify some since I have a home gym with a rack, but overall stuck with the program.
  • jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    Anybody have any advice for anxiety? I have intense anxiety with calories and food in general. It makes it hard to have a decent intake every day.
  • psuLemon
    jamocha101 wrote: »
    Anybody have any advice for anxiety? I have intense anxiety with calories and food in general. It makes it hard to have a decent intake every day.

Probably would be best to see a therapist.
  • mariabash85
    mariabash85 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone.
    Im also trying to gain weight, im about 7 stone the highest ive ever been lol and 5'4. Just wondering do you think i should take a weight gainer which has carbs protein and calories in. Or to take protein shakes? I cant decide because i am struggling to get my calories high everyday. Thanks!
  • Well for me I've tried mass gainers before and they never helped. Plus they made me constipated. I prefer protein shakes better.