Things You Didn't Know Before MFP

Options

Replies

• naomisimpson247
    Options
    1 lb of fat or 1 lb of muscle both weigh the same. 1 lb of popcorn weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. A pound is a pound. Its like a trick triva question...what weighs more 3 tons of bricks or 3 tons of feathers. They both weigh the same. :ohwell:
  • stnyco
    stnyco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that I wasn't alone; that so many many people of different ages and sizes, etc. were struggling with the same issues.
    I didn't know that there is hope for someone as heavy as me.
    I didn't know that just reading about others successes and struggles could be so motivating for me!
    I didn't know MFP would replace Facebook on my computer.

Now I know and I THANK YOU ALL!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I didn't "know" that a pound of muscle weighed more than a pound of fat. smiley-laughing021.gif

:laugh:

Except that muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle. The difference is that fat is "bulkier" than muscle, which explains why you may not lose much weight and still lose inches.

Anyway, I didn't know how much cholesterol was in the animal products (meat, eggs, dairy) I was eating before MFP. Pretty gross!
  • TinaWil6
    TinaWil6 Posts: 5
    Options
    Did you know that 10 pounds of feathers weighs the same as a 10 pound bowling ball. It takes up a lot more room though. :laugh:
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how much of a tool MFP could be and how motivating others' success stories could be!

That being said, I'm rather new with no friends (lol, no MFP friends that is) so if anyone else is up for another buddy please friend me!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that eating healthy could be filling. I thought I had to eat stuff like pasta to be full.
  • BellaLacie
    BellaLacie Posts: 12
    Options
    Me either! I have been overweight all my live. As it turns out, all I needed to do to lose weight was to eat more.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how many calories I was eating. Nearly every night I had a bran muffin for dessert thinking I was doing something good. I have since found out that it's almost 500 calories.. ouch!! No wonder I couldn't lose. I have also learned that regular fruit yogurt is loaded with sugar. I also didn't know how much sodium was in food. I am shocked by the amount in things you wouldn't expect such as cottage cheese. I am shocked to know I will gain weight if I go over a certain amount (and not very many) calories every day. Once I reach my goal I have to stay between 1650 - 1800 to maintain unless I exercise on a regular basis. I hate to exercise so I'm not happy about that.. ouch! :ohwell: I have also learned that water is most magic of all and by drinking 8 cups a day you will lose tons of weight.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Didn't know who the hell TOM was...:ohwell:
  • smsmith1616
    smsmith1616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1.) I didn't know how to measure portions on my plate (i.e. 1 oz of meat being close to the size of my palm).
    I just want to make sure you aren't misleading yourself (although I assume it was just a typo)....but the size of your palm (also the size of a deck of cards, etc.) is 3 to 4 ounces of meat, not 1 ounce.

You are correct! I hit a 1 instead of a 4!! OOOPS!! Where's the edit button??!

Thank you!
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any clue how many calories were in things!
    Like Mcdonalds snack sized myflurries! You wouldnt think there are that many but its like 500!!!!LOLOL
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    cooked meat vs raw meat does not weigh the same lol
    and that most foods containe carbs, fats and protein. I used to think almonds were only fat, not good when you are counting calories
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that counting my daily calories would be so easy.

I didn't know what i would find soooo many people supporting me because we have the same goals.

Loving MFP Family!!!!
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that before MFP my "snacks" had more calories than my meals
  • lucian25
    lucian25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had no idea I wasn't eating close to enough fruits and veggies.
  • BecomingMyself
    Options
    I didn't know how out of control my eating habits were.

4945961.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • art4u
    art4u Posts: 1
    Options
    That If you exersise more you get to eat more. I think that fact is one of the things that I like best. In the past I would eat 1200 and spend two hours at the gym and the only thing I lost was muscle. And I always felt bad. As soon as I started following MyFitnessPal I lost weight easily and felt better too.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I didn't know who "TOM" was either...turns out he's related to Aunt Flo.

I didn't know about all the great workout DVDs out there. Thanks to MFP, Jillian Michaels has made me her b!tch...
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that SIZE MATTERS... lol. In terms of portion size, plate size, pant size and a few other important items. Ahem...
  • debbond64
    debbond64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    what is nsv or hrm?