Does gas "weigh" more?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    We'll call a noticeable scale difference approximately 1/4 lb - 115g. The molecular weight of methane is 16.04g/mol, so you're looking at about 360 litres in volume.
    I really, really hope it's not due to gas.

What if the gas is compressed?

The human body can't compress gas to the extent of noticeably increasing its density. You need something like a steel canister to do that, not soft squashy organic tissue.

To answer your question, imagine farting into a balloon. Would it weigh any more than the empty balloon did already? No.

Thank you for that great mental image! I'm obviously still 12.. :laugh:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at my desk at work desperately trying not to burst out laughing and look like a crazed person

qgometnoi90j.jpg

I'm so with you. Thankfully, I work from home, which means I'm actually laughing out loud like a crazy person. My dog's giving me the side eye, but he's always been the judgemental type, so I've learned to ignore it.

That's stink-eye. ;)
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    This is pretty awesome. I would suggest waiting until you have a big toot, and then go stand on the scale right before you let it out, and then see if the scale changes once you do!

works for poops.

um... or so I've heard.

yeah. that's what I've heard. I've never tried it.
    eta... and CERTAINLY not yesterday, when I lost two pounds.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Intestinal gas is typically:

59 percent nitrogen, 21 percent hydrogen, 9 percent carbon dioxide, 7 percent methane and 4 percent oxygen. It has less O2 than air which would make it heavier but has more methane, which it lighter than air. So, it's probably about the same weight per volume as air. So, no, you're not changing you weight by farting.

But it is pressurized. If it weren't then you wouldn't be able to fart.

I guess that is going to depend on how good the sphincter muscles are - a muscle group which is sadly often neglected by fitness enthusiasts ;)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

59 percent nitrogen, 21 percent hydrogen, 9 percent carbon dioxide, 7 percent methane and 4 percent oxygen. It has less O2 than air which would make it heavier but has more methane, which it lighter than air. So, it's probably about the same weight per volume as air. So, no, you're not changing you weight by farting.

But it feels like you do sometimes, amiright?!

<fist bump>
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I guess that is going to depend on how good the sphincter muscles are - a muscle group which is sadly often neglected by fitness enthusiasts ;)

Is there a workout that will build the sphincter, but not make me bulk up on my glutes?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

But it is pressurized. If it weren't then you wouldn't be able to fart.

But not the sex enthusiasts

Crap. Gonna get warned again now....
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    But boy, doesn't it feel good to let one go? pfffffff....
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at my desk at work desperately trying not to burst out laughing and look like a crazed person

qgometnoi90j.jpg

I'm so with you. Thankfully, I work from home, which means I'm actually laughing out loud like a crazy person. My dog's giving me the side eye, but he's always been the judgemental type, so I've learned to ignore it.

That's stink-eye. ;)

I see what you did there... :D
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever. Now.. how many calories did I use by so much deep belly laughing?
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

I dunno, are we talking normal human stomachs or the core of a main sequence star?

Are you an astronaut?!?!

vQqeT3AYg8S5O.gif

Nah, I'm not even a real scientist, just a data scientist
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    This is pretty awesome. I would suggest waiting until you have a big toot, and then go stand on the scale right before you let it out, and then see if the scale changes once you do!

works for poops.

um... or so I've heard.

yeah. that's what I've heard. I've never tried it.
    eta... and CERTAINLY not yesterday, when I lost two pounds.

I did that a few times and my weight always went up after #2.