KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    this thread delivers. haha
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sp1219 wrote: »
    I eat a fair amount of lentils and beans because I am a pescetarian However, it has the unpleasant side effect of making me gassy :o Can gas make the number on the scales go up?

For the record, I get protein from a variety of sources, and drink tons of water and herbal tea. But I like beans, lentils, broccoli, etc!
    Gas does not make the scale rise.....but it can get risky when coupled with mild diarrhea.
    I learned that lesson the hard way....

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

I guess that is going to depend on how good the sphincter muscles are - a muscle group which is sadly often neglected by fitness enthusiasts ;)

Is there a workout that will build the sphincter, but not make me bulk up on my glutes?

"To begin strengthening your sphincter muscles, the National Health Service recommends lifting and squeezing your sphincter as you would if you were trying to avoid passing gas. After you practice this movement, tighten your muscles in the way you would if you were trying to stop urine in mid-flow. After you practice these two movements separately, combine them by starting the first movement and holding it while initiating the second movement. Once you completely tighten your muscles, keep them contracted for a few seconds, then fully release the contraction before starting over again."
    livestrong.com

You're welcome.

The things I google for MFP :D

You should know by now that livestrong.com is not a reputable source. Has this technique been peer reviewed and independently verified?

PS - How does one go about independently verifying the strength of someone else's sphincter? (Don't answer that...)

I think possibly the very last thing I want to do is learn how to verify the strength of someone else's sphincter :o
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of lentils and beans because I am a pescetarian However, it has the unpleasant side effect of making me gassy :o Can gas make the number on the scales go up?

For the record, I get protein from a variety of sources, and drink tons of water and herbal tea. But I like beans, lentils, broccoli, etc!

Bringing this back around to the OP's question, have you tried Beano?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

How about testing this. When you feel a good fart coming, step on the scale. Step off, let'er rip, and step back on again. Only way you will know for sure.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Gas doesn't weigh anything- it's just air.

Try performing this experiment, to see that air does have weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5LT_wfI98w
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

I guess that is going to depend on how good the sphincter muscles are - a muscle group which is sadly often neglected by fitness enthusiasts ;)

Is there a workout that will build the sphincter, but not make me bulk up on my glutes?

Mexican food the night before squats might do it? But then again, squats = glute work so I'd recommend Mexican food + front squats: Kind of like the plank for the sphincter.

Edited to add: Don't go to failure :(

Or if you are, do it at home. No one else should have to clean up that *kitten*.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    @StealthHealth Is this something where I need to work in progressive overloading or is it just max reps?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Gas does not make the scale rise.....but it can get risky when coupled with mild diarrhea.
    I learned that lesson the hard way....

Shart happens...
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    ROFLO. Oh my gosh! Laughing so hard I'm crying. Feeling sorry for the hernia repair guy. :D
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    This is how it works.

Any gas in the body would increase the bodies weight by mass of the gas x gravity. Any extra volume of air that the body displaced due to the gas being inside of the body and expanding the bodies volume would create a buoyancy force up (reducing the scale weight) by the amount of the weight of the air in the volume of air displaced.

That is how denser-than-water ships float. They sink into the water to the level of where the water that is displaced weighs the same as the weight of the ship. The weight of the ship is countered by the upwards buoyancy force of the water displaced.

There ya go.

Gas in a body would be negligible on the scale.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Who else thought of this thread at socially embarrassing times? Ha!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. As a science teacher, this thread hurts my heart just a little bit. Lol

GAS is not going to weigh enough to have a weight difference. It will make you bloated just like blowing up a balloon as (previously mentioned), which will make your pants tighter. Retaining water will make you gain weight, as the density is much higher, and it usually occurs in most of the cells in your body.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sure it is. That's why fart balloons are so heavy.