It Works? Scam or nah?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

Someone earlier posted this video on a thread about another MLM company... and while ITWORKS is not mentioned in this video they do operate the same way, some MLM is okay with me... scentsy... tupperware, etc.. and as long as the person doing it is happy making only a couple dollars, and their fine with the perks of getting more scentsy or tupperware etc thats fine.. but when it comes to offering people a product with false claims on their health and fitness, i believe those companies should be shut down, the video shows the actual heart break these MLM companies can leave people with... thousands of dollars of debt and unsold product all while never making any money for themselves, the companies thrive on getting you to to become a seller and encourage others to also become a seller, all while most of THEIR money comes from sellers buying hundreds and hundreds in product often unable to sell it, making no money for themselves and going broke. I don't support companies that thrive off false health claims.. i buy scentsy, they are nice to make my apartment smell lovely like cake and toffee and clean linen.. and the girl who sells it to me is fine with the fact that she is only getting free product, sometimes she wins vacations, but shes not living in a world where she thinks this is going to be her only job to pay the bills.
    A lot of people caught in these awful MLM scams are often there because they were sucked into false promises of extra income.

This video is brilliant. I knew there was something fishy about these companies, but this makes a compelling case that they are indeed pyramid schemes, with the actual product being a flimsy cover. Don't get involved, people!
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have some friends (especially the particular one who is in a constant pestering state) who sell the It Works! products.

I don't have issue with people making money selling stuff that works for them (the pestering one lost a lot of weight) but do you believe that these products can help people who have various ailments or medical challenges during their weight loss journey? Some of them claim that these products work miracles and it doesn't matter what condition someone is in. Especially the wraps.

Is it worth the money like they say? Are they being real friends by lying to me if their products aren't really legit?

Two loaded questions, I know. Just want to know your thoughts, MFP fam. Have a blessed day, ya'll!

I tried a lot of those products when I was around 20 (I'm only 25 but it seems like it's been quite a long time to me) and started to balloon because of University (read here: university's parties).

The only product that ever worked for me (and GOD did it work) was the ''Lida'' pill. I lost 10 pounds in 2-3 weeks because of that pill, but I must say that I had to stop after that because I was having mood swings and having palpitations. Did not gain the weight back, but kept the palpitations going for a while after I stopped, only to find out after some research that this pill contains some kind of mild amphetamines!

If you want an advice here, if it seems too good to be true, it is. If it was that easy or if there was a shortcut, there would be no fat people, and your miracle product would be everywhere on tv, newspapers and billboards. They are not because they don't work, and if they do, believe me you must be paying a price for it somewhere!

PS: don't misunderstand me, it was not a pill publicity, but a warning against those ''easy ways'' to miraculously lose weight without CICO. Your body is very likely not to lose fat if you are not using CICO and if it does, you are probably hurting it like I did.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Massive scam. One of the worst of the worst.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Save your money and do what really works: healthy eating and exercise and whatever motivates you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's just another MLM directed mostly directed at women. The pseudoscience is super strong and the marketing techniques are great for sales, but the product is crap.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Answer this honestly: Do you really think you can take a pill that will keep your body from absorbing a percentage of the carbs and fat you eat? Do you really believe that a wrap with some kind of stuff on it that makes your skin tingle will "shrink your fat cells"? Do you believe there is a vitamin that can make your hair grow 2 inches in a month? These are claims that itWorks makes. It's complete BULL! In my younger, more naive days, I threw away some money on a box of those "crazy" wraps. Yeah, it totally didn't work. Surprise, surprise. I have some FB friends who sell the junk. One of them has lost 99 pounds while taking it. BUT, she has completely changed her eating habits and is exercising. And still gives credit to itworks products. Ugh!
  • veruzkarosascolantonio
    Options
    I tried the wraps and they did NOTHING plus they smell strong, big waste but if you want to try it you can use seran wrap
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sorry but it's a pyramid scheme. And those never have products that really "work"
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Preparation H and Saran Wrap will get you the same (temporary) results. It'll cost you less too.

I generally assume all MLM's are scams. I don't think your friend realizes she's being scammed, but I do believe there is a lot of denial and indoctrination involved in order to keep her from realizing it. So she isn't so much lying, as passing on the false truths that were sold to her.

Avoid MLM's like the cultish plague on humanity that they are.
  • Meowack
    Meowack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's a pyramid scheme. And quite honestly, if it were that easy, to just take a pill and have fat and carbs blocked (no seriously, they have pills they claim do this) - nobody would be fat.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I posted my before and after weight loss pictures on my instagram. I got asked by a fried that sold it works if she could use my pictures and say it was her products that did it.

I politely told her to go f herself.

I've been asked this several times by friends who sell shakolgy. Grrr. My weight loss has been 100% CICO and proud!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    if i pill (or any 'thing') could make you thin, none of us would be here.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    if i pill (or any 'thing') could make you thin, none of us would be here.

Well there are some but they have a side effect of death and either get banned quickly or never make it to the market.

Even the crap on the market is crazy. My friend is a pediatric cardiologists and have of her patients are young girls who took diet pills.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    With my large clientele, I have been approached many times to sell Shakeology, Herbalife, Isagenix, ItWorks, and right now dealing with a client who wants me to join LegalShield. I tell them all the same thing............it's against my best interest to try to sell anything else but by own services in fitness.
    IMO the best MLM businesses are the make-up ones (Avon, Mary Kay, etc.) because it's practical products used by women everyday and the quality of product is decent.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i was struggling with my weight big time and NO MATTER WHAT I DID, i could not lose weight. i went to several drs and finally found out that i have several severe medical issues and i was put on prescription medications. i continued with my diet plan (calorie deficit) and started walking instead of the gym, and i have now lost 25 lbs. it's not a miracle - it's hard work and getting help from my dr.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my neighbor was using the it works fat burner and one of the other products(the carb blocker I think it was). she went from being healthy(just overweight) to having liver issues 3 months later.once she stopped it slowly got better
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    even those products (mary kay, avon) can really damage people because the MLM company forces the sellers to buy in bulk in order to maintain a certain status, if the products dont sell, the seller themselves is stuck with them and is out that money, and for some people they get so caught up in keeping their status they buy so much it needs to be hoarded in a garage and they lose everything
    Yes, that's true too. Too bad that just to hold status, people are oversold product. My aunt has done Avon forever, but she's never gotten rich from it. She just likes the product.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png