Do you have any "banned" foods that you won't allow in your diet?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I must be the only person on the planet who really doesn't LIKE pasta alfredo. :-)

I don't like it either. My family thinks it's weird.
  • mbg_pr
    mbg_pr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    I don't have any crazy weight goals, but I like to keep my day-to-day eating splurge-free, and maybe reserve a day in the weekend for my husband's cooking (Italian from Brooklyn, so you know its going to be 400g of carbs per serving!). During the week, I BAN completely from my diet dairy-based and flour-based products, anything processed is out. No candy, chocolate, cookies, popcorn, pretzels, no snacking of any kind, except unsalted nuts but in moderation because I can eat a whole bag! For my sweet cravings, I have Green Tea with lemon and oranges or apples with cinnamon. This kind of discipline has taken a LONG time to achieve, but now it comes very naturally. I was actually not looking to lose weight, but more so understand what kind of stuff I ate that would make me feel bloated or irritable. Dairy products particularly are no longer something I die for, and I actually believe they make me a bit sick when I do cheat on my diet with them, so I have stopped eating it (pasta with no cheese, imagine that!). I aim for more than 50 oz of water a day, and that also helps manage my cravings. But EVERYONE, including me, has those days where they can eat 18 oreo cookies in one sitting (yes, I have done this...). So, while you continue to get to know your body, and what kind of foods you enjoy eating, how they make your body feel, identify those that are worth having once a week and those that are really just not worth it!
    Good luck!!
    Milena
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I must be the only person on the planet who really doesn't LIKE pasta alfredo. :-)

I'm meh on it. It's too glommy. I'd rather have carbonara if I'm going to have cheesy pasta.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I don't even like ice cream and the calories are crazy for such a little bit.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    i do not forbid anything overall, but on a daily basis, i will not eat alot of carbs and i will not go over my daily calorie allotment. a couple of times per month, i will eat anything i want for a whole day and not log calories or care what the food is. tuesday is my next one - and i have ALOT of girl scout cookies to eat!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Kale. I abstain from kale.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    haagen daz
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I don't like it either. My family thinks it's weird.

Agreed, not an alfredo fan at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Only things not worth the calories for me... so drinks and dishes in sauce that I never cared for in the first place.

If it's something I love, I make it fit/find a lower calorie version of it.

Oooh. On a similar note: a poor/low cal (if it isn't at least 90% as good)/cheap/knock off version of what I want. For instance, I enjoy fried chicken and cinnamon rolls (not at the same time). I will literally wait days or even weeks to get the BEST of those things. I'm not going to settle for KFC or the vaguely cinnamon flavored, concrete frosted styrofoam grocery stores sell. Once I get the right thing, I eat the S**T out of it with no guilt at all.

Edited because "*kitten*" sigh.

I'm with you there! But I have no problem saving calories on lasagna by using lower calorie meat and part skim mozzarella, for example. Or I make chicken parm using some egg whites instead of oil before putting the bread crumbs in.

The key is finding things that will satisfy your craving for less calories, and save calories for the things that you can't lighten up (like pizza. Don't even talk to me about pizzas on a wrap or whatnot).

But things like chips... I realized that I would eat the whole bowl if I started eating them, but didn't really miss them if I didn't... so I'd rather save the calories for the things I really like instead (baked goods or chocolate).

For what it's worth, every time I've banned a food I actually love, I end up binging on it. So there's really no point.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

My dh hates it. My dd loves it. I think it is just okay.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Well now I want chicken alfredo...

I sent and looked up the recipe for a traditional alfredo sauce...nothing seemed so terrible to me. Is it high in calories...yes but there is a lighter version. It is very similar to a sauce that I use to make chicken noodle casserole. Add in some chicken and you are good to go. If you want less calories you could serve it over steamed/roasted vegetables.

I ran the recipe through the builder and it is only 157 calories per serving(4 servings total) not including the pasta.

Skinny Alfredo Sauce
    INGREDIENTS:

12 ounces fettuccine (or any pasta shape)
    1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or butter
    4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely-minced
    3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
    3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    (optional toppings: chopped fresh parsley, extra Parmesan)

Here's the recipe site of someone is interested.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/skinny-fettuccine-alfredo-recipe/

Cauliflower alfredo sauce is even better super thick and creamy and low calorie
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i used to think trigger foods were just a bunch of hooey - poor excuse for lack of self control, but examining my own eating patterns, I've realized some things always lead to excess. As to discipline - I can fast successfully no problem. But some foods lead down a rabbit hole. Good donuts, chewy cookies, and pasta - i could swear they change my brain chemistry, so I avoid my triggers.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have banned warm potato salad. Barf

i love warm potato salad i always microwave mine :D
  • TravisinCanada
    TravisinCanada Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Carbs, I don't eat them.
    (But I live Keto so I guess it is expected).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't really think of foods as 'banned' but yes, there are foods I really enjoy that I don't eat because they are too caloric to be worth it. Alfredo would be one for me also. Cheesecake is another. I can't say for sure I'll never eat these again, but I don't plan to.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Creamed corn. It's disgusting.

Same goes for the skin on top of pudding.

Blasphemy! A pox on ye!

The correct answer is broccoli - vile weed!

I will eat your vile weed. Do you want the pudding skin or the corn or both? I have leak proof envelope ready to go.

I will take both please and happily provide funds for shipping.

On a recent vacation we were at one of Lagasi's restaurants and they had creamed corn as a side - baby sweet kernels in a cream base - it was divine!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Gluten.

But I have celiac disease, otherwise I wouldn't ban it.

I prefer vegetarian carbonara to alfredo for pasta dishes. Always have. Thinking now of it, I might make it for us this weekend.

And beets. Beets are banned from life.

Ugh - hate beets with a passion, but Kvass is tasty - alcohol really does make everything better....and also worse, but such is the dilemma of touching the sun.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Only stuff I dislike. BUT I have banned myself from buying multi packets of any sort of junk or treat. If I wat something I have to go out and buy a single serving of it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Donuts. Cuz if I have one I have several.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "banned" foods, but there are some things (like most grains or giant, sugary things) that I've deemed "not worth" their calorie count. I'll probably eat them again once I'm at maintenance though.