Options
124»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.

Cutting out sugar doesn't result in any kind of detox.
    As for the sugar, I have cut out a lot as well. After the initial "detox" it gets sooooo much better. Your body just needs time to adjust to the changes.

Sugar Can Cause Insulin Resistance, a Stepping Stone Towards Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes. Insulin is a very important hormone in the body. ... Having too much glucose in the blood is highly toxic and one of the reasons for complications of diabetes, like blindness and the likes. Take it from a girl with a mother on dialyses from diabetes and an uncle who passed away from diabetes in his 40s. Sugar is lethal and something's to be said for how anyone feels when they give it up... u can't compare how healthy u feel

Body Fat causes insulin resistance.
    Fat stops the pancreas from being able to distribute insulin to the body so that it can balance the carbs you consume
    The amount of fat varies from person to person but people don't get diabetes or IR simply from eating sugar or carbs, you get it from consuming too many calories and gaining weight on your body.

My Uncle suffered with type 2 diabetes for many years, he was fit and slim and had never been overweight. He ate copious amounts of sugar and sweets plus he smoked. He recently died from a diabetes related illness.

He is the one and only family member to have had diabetes, like i said he was slim, exercised and also ate healthy other than the sugar, plenty of veggies, lean meats etc etc
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Sugar Can Cause Insulin Resistance, a Stepping Stone Towards Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes. Insulin is a very important hormone in the body. ... Having too much glucose in the blood is highly toxic and one of the reasons for complications of diabetes, like blindness and the likes. Take it from a girl with a mother on dialyses from diabetes and an uncle who passed away from diabetes in his 40s. Sugar is lethal and something's to be said for how anyone feels when they give it up... u can't compare how healthy u feel

No it doesn't. There is no evidence that indicates sugar causes insulin resistance or diabetes.
    Elevated glucose is a symptom of diabetes but symptoms are not causes.
    Chicken pox causes itching but itching doesn't cause chicken pox.

Yes, people with diabetes should limit their intake of sugar but not because it is a lethal substance (it's not). Rather, they have a disease which renders their body incapable of processing the sugar properly. It is the disease which leads to extremely elevated blood glucose levels (and yes, those levels are dangerous).
    However, healthy individuals (non-diabetics) can eat all the sugar they want and their body will respond appropriately to begin processing/metabolizing the resulting glucose so that elevated blood glucose levels do not occur.

Diabetes has three known causes/risk factors:
    Genetics
    Obesity
    Sedentary lifestyle

Diabetes means you can't be careless with sugar.
    Sugar does not mean you'll get diabetes.

As for the claim that sugar is lethal, it is actually vital to life, so much so that if you don't consume enough in your diet your liver will produce it to keep you alive because you literally cannot function without it.
    Op why are you doing this?

Refined sugar isn't healthy and caffeine keeps me awake... that's why

"Refined" sugar is not unhealthy (it's also not really refined). It can be easier than many things to overeat which can lead to a calorie surplus which in turn leads to weight gain.
    Within an otherwise healthy diet and barring any medical conditions, there is no need to worry about added sugar.

But what's wrong with cutting out something you don't feel good after? I mean like if u are an Indian and it plays havoc with your stomach and skin would u like to quit it? Sugar doesn't agree with me

Nothing wrong with cutting out foods you don't enjoy.
    But making false claims about their impact on health is silly.

What's good for yourself... sorry if it was a sore subject for you

Not a sore subject. I'm just correcting misinformation.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There are enough threads on here about "sugar" so I advise you read them.

Regarding caffeine; there is no reason to eliminate it. In fact it is an appetite suppressant and has a mild thermogenic effect so can be beneficial for weight loss.

Good god I wouldn't want to suppress my appetite lol I'd die if I hadn't the energy for the miles I put in

Then is this thread misplaced here in the weight loss forum?

You have a lot of work ahead of you, if you're going to be concerned about errant threads on this forum.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

My family tree is full of type 2 diabetics and I lost one grandfather to complications to it and am currently losing my only living grandma to it. Thing is-every person in my family who has/had type 2 was/is also overweight or obese. I'm the only one in my family who's reversed the progression of pre-diabetes, by losing the extra weight, and I eat 'refined' sugar every single day. I have around 5 years of hard data that shows my glucose number is directly tied to my weight and when I'm at the lower range of a healthy bmi my glucose numbers are in the 80s and 90s, which is solidly in the normal range.

Everyone is different and there are those who struggle with high glucose numbers even at a healthy weight, but that's not the case for everyone and many can normalize high numbers just by controlling their weight, while still enjoying foods with added sugar. I'm a former prediabetic and strongly disagree with you that sugar is lethal.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    What our bodies can handle in our 20's and 30's might be a completely different story once we reach our 50's 60's and 70's. Just because they're healthy now eating all the sugary and processed foods, doesn't mean it's not going to come back and bite them in the butt years later.
    I'd rather err on the side of caution and not be under the illusion that I'm bulletproof and what/how much i eat isn't going going to affect me one way or the other down the track.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    No, youre right, but i work in a nursing home full of elderly.. who eat dessert after lunch and supper.. its usually cakes, ice cream, loafs, cream pies, etc.. they dont all have diabetes, a lot of them live just fine, in fact we have a lady who is 108, we have a couple others who are 106 and 105 and two who are 104. A lot of their families bring in chocolate bars, boxes of chocolates, chips and treats on a regular basis outside of what we feed them..

So i guess in the end is.. whatever route you take, its going to be how its going to be.. just like how a lot of really good healthy people end up with cancer or some other illness.. and its okay to not want to eat the processed sugar if you dont want to, but i think what me and a few others are just trying to say is, choice is choice but sugar isn't what gives people IR or diabetes.. there are other factors which attribute to the illness and unfortunately carbs are just the thing people need to limit once they have it.

Valid points Kriss :smile: