Who eats whatever they want and drops body fat?

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    If I eat any foods I want, but stay within my deficit (avg 1500 cal /day), then I absolutely lose fat! Of course, the trick for me is to not go over my daily calorie allotment, so it's not like I can eat however much I want. But on the other hand, on very special occasions (some vacation days, my birthday, major holidays), I simply don't even worry about "how much" and I just enjoy myself. Then I get back to it the next day, and I can be back to where I was within a day or two (or a few!). It's totally worth that extra day or two to just be able to enjoy.

Since I began using MFP, I have consistently lost weight, except for two months over the holidays, during which I maintained, still using MFP. The fact that I can so easily stick with it using MFP--yeah, that's kept me pretty positive about things. During past weight-loss endeavors, I used to not even think about maintenance, only to gain weight back after reaching my goal weight. Now, I know exactly what to do, and my time maintaining over the holidays has given me the confidence I needed to feel like I can keep the weight off this time, using MFP. I do believe I'll need to continue logging even at maintenance, but I don't mind that. I have about 12 lbs to go (for a total of 30 lost), so my goal is in my sights!

• aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Yes, eat whatever I want. Lost 59lbs. to date. My main advice is to be very aware of your calorie intake to your daily goal. And most of all read your labels.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I am 122 pounds down and counting. I am considerably stronger now than when I started. Losing weight does not automatically mean losing muscle if you keep your protein up and lift heavy. If you don't though, you definitely will lose some muscle. Yes, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight but the better you eat, the more satisfied you are likely to stay and the more nutrients you will get. I don't have any foods that aren't allowed and I do allow some indulgences but, at the same time, I try to spend my calories wisely. I am far more satisfied with a substantial portion of grilled chicken, roasted veggies, and sweet potatoes than I am the same number of calories of something from a drive through. Choosing the right foods for me has made this process relatively easy. If I tried to eat tiny portions of "junk food", I would be miserable.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    For the most part, I eat whatever I like, though I have to do a lot of exercise to burn off the calories sometimes. Good thing dancing is my hobby! I'very been making a point lately to do a better job of hitting my protein goal each day, though, and eat a wide variety of foods. I went from a size 18-20 to size 8-10 doing exactly this.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    I lost 70 pounds and I eat whatever I want as long as I fit it in my calorie goal. I never have eaten a lot of trans fats, but I do eat sugar and I also eat out pretty regularly so I probably do eat some trans fats. The only thing I have restricted in order to lose weight was my portion sizes. I can be happy with a small portion of ice cream or chocolate. Cutting things like that out entirely would not be sustainable for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I eat pretty much whatever I want. Even when losing, we would still go out to eat on Fridays, Mexican food or fast food. I would just eat a smaller portion or take some home for another meal. I eat chocolate almost everyday. I worked out the whole time I lost weight, but I still probably lost some muscle. I had to build back up a little after hitting my lowest weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    I eat what I want BUT a good majority of what I want is meat, vegetables, fruit, eggs, dairy, whole grains, and healthy fats. I have what is traditionally called junk food--chips or cake or cookies or the like--once every week or so. I don't want them more often because I know it would make me feel and look and function poorly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2017
    I suppose it depends on what you "want". Most of us got overweight by eating whatever we wanted. If you want to build or keep muscle through lifting,then you would also have to "want" appropriate amounts of protein to support this goal. You need to "want" foods with appropriate nutritional balance, to keep you healthy. To eat at a calorie goal, you need to "want" an appropriate balance of foods to keep you energized and satiated so you don't go over your calorie goal. Although you could lose weight eating only pizza, beer & donuts, you wouldn't be able to eat very much of it. These foods do not support muscle retention or building, or any nutritional goals. It is not sustainable long term, or really even short term.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    I find it hard to maintain it's always a struggle to eat enough
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I eat anything I want as well just not EVERYTHING lol. I look at my calories as a weekly thing. I keep Monday-Thurs very low so that I can have 1 or 2 high days. Last week, I average 1617 net calories per day even though Saturday was 3000 calories of ice cream, whiskey, cider, pizza etc. I do keep an eye on my macros, mostly protein, but that seems to settle out naturally with what I want to eat.

I lost 30+ pounds this way, 1.1lb/week doing just this. Maintained for well over a year too without logging after. Life happened (divorce, promotion, nearly 6/12 months traveling, moving multiple times etc) and I'm back looking to lose 14lbs doing the same thing.
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member
    Dropping body fat is a function of a clean, healthy diet like whole foods --> meats, eggs, beans, fruits and veggies...
    You are what you eat.
    Further, fat loss is enhanced by certain forms of training like HIIT cardio, weight lifting and plyometrics.
    80% of our results are from diet, so get that right first or learn to love being merely average.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Yes. I'm down 35 pounds since the end of August eating what I want (though I try to make healthier choices and control portions of treats).

As a chemist, though, I have to say that "trans fats" are a little different from the other foods on your list. They are known to cause health problems since they include C=C double bonds with a geometry that doesn't occur in nature. In fairness, very few foods contain them in any significant amount these days due to their bad reputation. (They were introduced at a time when it was thought that any unsaturated fat was better than any saturated fat. That was wrong.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Dropping body fat is a function of a clean, healthy diet like whole foods --> meats, eggs, beans, fruits and veggies...
    You are what you eat.
    Further, fat loss is enhanced by certain forms of training like HIIT cardio, weight lifting and plyometrics.
    80% of our results are from diet, so get that right first or learn to love being merely average.

I love healthy foods.. but my diet is far from clean.. still dropped body fat. Also I only did weight lifting, no cardio.
    For me, I would say diet and exercise can be about equal, actually lifting for me is more important in terms of my goals and results especially if I'm close enough to goal.
    Great that all worked for you.. but wouldn't work for me or some others I'm sure.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Personally I used to log my food to see the macros, not count calories. Now I know what food contains how much protein, carbs or fat, I don't log it anymore. I eat as much as I wish. I can't stand eating less and being hungry. Overeating was never my problem. I just didn't have time to prepare meals at home. I used to eat on the go most of the time. Processed, frozen and trashy foods made me gain weight, not obsessing or binging.
    I've lost 21lbs since I started my new life style on Dec26 by eating Whole/Unprocessed Foods. Now I like what I eat. How you lose weight is an entirely personal decision to make.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    According to my Fitbit BIA scale, not perfect but I'm sure it can show a trend, I've lost 41 pounds of fat mass and 14 pounds of lean mass. I lift heavy three days a week and try, but usually don't succeed, eating a gram of protein per lb/lean mass. I also eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calorie goals. I don't eat that many whole grains or get anywhere near 5 servings of fruit and veg. I've been eating cookies and chocolate everyday for two weeks straight and indulge in a drink or two and most of a pizza every week. I don't know how much of that lean mass lost was muscle, but I'm for sure losing a lot of fat and gonna keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I eat whatever i want and mostly however much i want. But i have a small appetite and get uncomfortably full very quickly.

Ive never been into food, it just doesn't intetest me. The exception is when i have pms and ovulation i can be a bit of a chocolate monster.

I mostly eat paleo as it helps with my ibs and low carb helps my hypoglycaemia. I dont like the taste and feel of fatty food and im really picky.

This is how ive eaten most of my life. Its not a strict or planned diet. I tracked calories for a year to lose the 30lbs i gained after my mum died and i ate a lot of calorie dense convenience food ( mostly frozen pizza, bacon sandwiches and chocolate) due to being too depressed to cook or prepare home cooked food.

This only needs to be as complicated as you want it to be. Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    You are what you eat.
    Someone didn't read the thread! :)

I got fat eating a good wholesome diet because I ate too much of it - not because of what I ate.
    All I changed to get slim was the weekly volume of food to create a calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Lots of good stuff in this thread.

I am excited to say that I have adopted habits and attitudes of successful dieters/long time maintainers. My preferences have changed to some degree - what I want now, is food I like, enough to keep me satisfied and happy and energetic, not foods I "can't get enough of" and not so much that I feel stuffed and tired. I take great care of my intake, and love to plan meals, but I don't worry about "eating healthy". I have boundaries, like eating regular meals composed of real food, and I don't keep a stash of junk food, but I don't feel deprived. Instead, I look forward to my meals and find great enjoyment in eating. I have cravings that I usually choose to not give in to, but I don't feel like I'm missing out. I don't feel envy towards those who can eat more than me, or entitlement to "treat myself" or self pity that I "can't".

I've lost 50 pounds and kept them off for 28 months - today :D
    I have a healthy body fat % and feel great.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    I don't really eat what I want...my boss just called the office and is bringing in Panera for Breakfast and asked everyone what they wanted and I had to decline (although I love Panera) because I have to stick with my breakfast I brought in that is carefully measured out so I know the exact calories in it. I do love healthy foods (now) but I didn't get fat eating healthy foods, I love nachos, pizza, tacos, I will eat the bumper of a car if it has melted cheese all over it. And wine, I can go through 3-4 bottles a week if I didn't care about the calories. I have found that calories add up fast and I like volume so I choose things that are low in calories so I can eat more of it. I have a desk job and although I workout every.single.day. I still do not burn very many calories so I don't get to eat what I want. I *had* lost 65 pounds but have gained about 20 back (due to pizza, more wine, etc creeping back into my diet) so I really have to buckle down because I am SOOOO angry at myself for gaining some of that weight back. I do like what I eat for the most part, I don't eat things I don't like, but sometimes I would rather have a burger and fries for dinner rather than a salad (with only lemon as the dressing) and grilled chicken.