Sugar levels exceeding due to fruit!? Healthy calorie intake!?

So, I have noticed since the beginning of using this app, my sugar levels go outside of my daily limits due to fruit. Out of 100g of sugar, 80g from fruit and 20g from normal meals. Does this mean I should lower my sugar level!?
Another problem is that my calorie intake is at an average of 1200cal daily and I get 500-1000cal off daily. Would this be ok or should I start to be worried about how much calorie I have?
If someone would please answer this, I would be grateful

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar to be honest. I'm not sure what you mean by "500-1000cal off daily" - do you mean you are overeating, undereating or something else?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, that's fine. As for that 500-1000 calories, I'm assuming that is what your exercise calories are? You should be eating those back, although I'd only go with half of them due to the high range.
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    macaron01 wrote: »
    So, I have noticed since the beginning of using this app, my sugar levels go outside of my daily limits due to fruit. Out of 100g of sugar, 80g from fruit and 20g from normal meals. Does this mean I should lower my sugar level!?
    Another problem is that my calorie intake is at an average of 1200cal daily and I get 500-1000cal off daily. Would this be ok or should I start to be worried about how much calorie I have?

Natural sugars are fine. I'm not to sure why mfp counts it. Its sugar that is added into anything you need to keep an eye on. I been keeping my eye on my sugar intake and it is shocking how much sugar is added into things.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    cake91 wrote: »

Natural sugars are fine. I'm not to sure why mfp counts it. Its sugar that is added into anything you need to keep an eye on. I been keeping my eye on my sugar intake and it is shocking how much sugar is added into things.

Not necessarily. It depends on why you are watching sugar. If you are diabetic, for example, then you have to monitor sugar from any source. I understand you may choose to not worry about natural sugars in fruit and veg, but from a nutritional point of view, sugar is sugar - there is no way mfp could make the distinction, and if it missed out sugars from some sources it would just make the numbers wrong.

Personally I don't really watch macros, but if the OP wants to monitor them but still wants to eat lots of fruit, the best approach would just be to adjust the goals to allow for a little more sugar.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    The only real issue is if you're crowding other things that may be more necessary such as 2x the RDA of protein for someone who is eating at a deficit for weight loss (i.e. 0.8g+ "ish" per lb of bodyweight) and at least 0.35g to 0.45g of healthy fats for a woman. Not to forget my favourite 28g (38g for men) of fiber.

So when you put all these in you might have to cut down a bit on fruits.

Also you do not mention vegetables and frankly they have as many or more nutrients than fruits (and probably less sugar if sugar overload is your particular concern).

Having said all that 1200 calories net is already pretty darn low. for the vast majority of people aiming so low implies that they are aiming for a faster weight loss than they should probably be aiming for...

my take is that you shouldn't net below that.
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2017

Not necessarily. It depends on why you are watching sugar. If you are diabetic, for example, then you have to monitor sugar from any source. I understand you may choose to not worry about natural sugars in fruit and veg, but from a nutritional point of view, sugar is sugar - there is no way mfp could make the distinction, and if it missed out sugars from some sources it would just make the numbers wrong.

Personally I don't really watch macros, but if the OP wants to monitor them but still wants to eat lots of fruit, the best approach would just be to adjust the goals to allow for a little more sugar.
    I understand "Sugar is sugar" to the myfitnesspal app, or to someone who has to watch sugar because of medical conditions, but for the most part sugar from fruit is no problem at all especially if you're eating the fruit whole. Natural sugar is processed different than other sugars because the fiber with the fruit slows down the negative processes we associate with sugar; insulin spikes, sugar crashes. Natural sugar only behaves like added sugar if you are say, eating massive amounts at one time or removing the fiber (like eating apples without the skin, or juicing oranges then straining the pulp and fiber out.

Am I wrong at all? Because I basically I ignore sugar from fruit sources if I eat the fruit whole, and keep it spaced out over the day; and in my eyes even that's being overly cautious. I know there are a lot of people out there who advocate "High Carb Vegan" lifestyles where they eat hundreds of grams of sugar a day and have no problems at all. They'll do things like eat 10 bananas in a single meal and have the blood tests to back up that they experience no side effects at all; short term or long term
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited February 2017
    butcher206 wrote: »

I understand "Sugar is sugar" to the myfitnesspal app, or to someone who has to watch sugar because of medical conditions, but for the most part sugar from fruit is no problem at all especially if you're eating the fruit whole. Natural sugar is processed different than other sugars because the fiber with the fruit slows down the process. Natural sugar only behaves like added sugar if you are say, eating massive amounts at one time or removing the fiber (like eating apples without the skin, or juicing oranges then straining the pulp and fiber out.

Am I wrong at all? Because I basically I ignore sugar from fruit sources if I eat the fruit whole, and keep it spaced out over the day. I know there are a lot of people out there who advocate "High Carb Vegan" lifestyles where they eat hundreds of grams of sugar a day and have no problems at all

Again, it depends what you mean.

In terms of calories, sugar is sugar is sugar. Many is the person who has failed to lose weight or even gained it because they thought fruit was "free" and didn't count it. Your body is good at getting energy from things and if it wasn't capable of getting energy from fruit sugars it would be pretty useless in survival terms.

In terms of carbs being counted for medical reasons or to maintain a particular state like ketosis, sugar is sugar is sugar. Yes the body has a little more work to convert it to glucose, but once the work is done, it's glucose, same as sugar from any other source.

In terms of glycaemic index and blood sugar effects over time, there is a difference in how quickly the body processes sugar from different sources. In some cases this is significant, in other cases it is slight. I believe fruit performs better for slow release than pure sucrose. But if you remove the fruit sugar from the context of the fruit, or change the context eg by drying the fruit, it will behave pretty much like any other sugar in this sense. Your handful of raisins? Sugar (and a bit of fibre). Same for fruit leathers.

In terms of fulness, cravings, effect on appetite, that's an unanswerable question as it's completely individual. Some people find fruit satisfying, others find it makes them hungrier or increases cravings. Personally I find it temporarily satisfying but leaves me feeling hollow and hunger will come back worse after a little while.

Your idea seems to be that there is such a thing as "bad" food and added sugar makes things "bad" whereas "natural" sugars are "good". It's just so much more complicated than that. Sugar really isn't bad at all - except that it rots your teeth and can make you hungry.

• butcher206
    edited February 2017

I understand "Sugar is sugar" to the myfitnesspal app, or to someone who has to watch sugar because of medical conditions, but for the most part sugar from fruit is no problem at all especially if you're eating the fruit whole. Natural sugar is processed different than other sugars because the fiber with the fruit slows down the process. Natural sugar only behaves like added sugar if you are say, eating massive amounts at one time or removing the fiber (like eating apples without the skin, or juicing oranges then straining the pulp and fiber out.

Am I wrong at all? Because I basically I ignore sugar from fruit sources if I eat the fruit whole, and keep it spaced out over the day. I know there are a lot of people out there who advocate "High Carb Vegan" lifestyles where they eat hundreds of grams of sugar a day and have no problems at all

In terms of calories, sugar is sugar is sugar. Many is the person who has failed to lose weight or even gained it because they thought fruit was "free" and didn't count it. Your body is good at getting energy from things and if it wasn't capable of getting energy from fruit sugars it would be pretty useless in survival terms.

In terms of carbs being counted for medical reasons or to maintain a particular state like ketosis, sugar is sugar is sugar. Yes the body has a little more work to convert it to glucose, but once the work is done, it's glucose, same as sugar from any other source.

In terms of glycaemic index and blood sugar effects over time, there is a difference in how quickly the body processes sugar from different sources. In some cases this is significant, in other cases it is slight. I believe fruit performs better for slow release than pure sucrose. But if you remove the fruit sugar from the context of the fruit, or change the context eg by drying the fruit, it will behave pretty much like any other sugar in this sense. Your handful of raisins? Sugar (and a bit of fibre). Same for fruit leathers.

In terms of fulness, cravings, effect on appetite, that's an unanswerable question as it's completely individual. Some people find fruit satisfying, others find it makes them hungrier or increases cravings. Personally I find it temporarily satisfying but leaves me feeling hollow and hunger will come back worse after a little while.

Your idea seems to be that there is such a thing as "bad" food and added sugar makes things "bad" whereas "natural" sugars are "good". It's just so much more complicated than that. Sugar really isn't bad at all - except that it rots your teeth and can make you hungry.

It's not more complicated than that at all. I was directly quoting sugar being used in the context of "natural sugar" vs "added sugar", and addressing that only and quite explicitly and specifically; then addressed specifically how it's processed when consumed as a whole fruit vs added sugar (talking about glycemic index without making it more complicated than it needed to be, or introducing the concept of dried fruits which were never brought up to begin with).
  • CattOfTheGarage

It's not more complicated than that at all. I was directly quoting sugar being used in the context of "natural sugar" vs "added sugar", and addressing that only and quite explicitly and specifically; then addressed specifically how it's processed when consumed as a whole fruit vs added sugar (talking about glycemic index without making it more complicated than it needed to be, or introducing the concept of dried fruits which were never brought up to begin with).

I still feel it is a little bit more complicated than "sugar from fruit is no problem at all". In most respects it is as much or as little of a problem as sugar from any other source.

When you make a blanket statement about "natural sugars", that very vague term covers fresh fruit but it also covers juices, it covers dried fruit, it covers maple syrup, honey, molasses - you just can't say that "natural sugars are fine" unless you're going to define "natural sugars" and define "fine".

Yes, there is a meaningful difference between a grape and a teaspoon of sugar (though only in terms of glycaemic index, not in other respects) - but there is no meaningful difference between a teaspoon of sucrose and a teaspoon of honey from a nutritional point of view.

I'm not nitpicking. People get legitimately confused about this stuff and struggle with weight loss or over-restriction as a result. Sugar is sugar. Fruit may keep you going a bit longer than other sugary foods, and has fibre and vitamins, but that's all the difference there is. It's still sugar.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I keep sugar up on my tracking only because I'm back down from diabetic to pre-diabetic. I usually pay less attention to it than my other macros, but I try to make sure I don't blow it completely out of the water. If it weren't for medical reasons, I wouldn't pay a bit of attention to it at all.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    As others have mentioned sugar is sugar. Fruit may be a preferable source due to the accompanying presence of other nutrients and fiber, but the sugar in it is still sugar. That being said, I watch how much fruit (& other sugary stuff) I eat only because with very limited calories (I'm 4'10") too much sugar (or starch) can impact how much protein I'll be able to fit in without going over calorie allotment. I don't track sugar separately at all.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ..imo-keeping an eye on the meal total macros (sugar - protein - fiber) would probably be a better gauge than "added" vs "natural" sugars if you are wary of glycemic effects.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Afura wrote: »
    I keep sugar up on my tracking only because I'm back down from diabetic to pre-diabetic. I usually pay less attention to it than my other macros, but I try to make sure I don't blow it completely out of the water. If it weren't for medical reasons, I wouldn't pay a bit of attention to it at all.

As a fellow T2Dm, separating sugars from other carbs means nothing. Total carbs is the number that is important. You can have your sugars really low but still have high blood sugar from too many starches.
  • butcher206
    edited February 2017
    All these hundreds of words and people typing up essays and completely ignoring the OP's question lol

Alright then; keep on trying to educate people on sugar with your admitted lack of medical knowledge or understanding of the topic and derailing the topic completely.

OP: Keep doing what you're doing there's nothing wrong with it; source; my doctor.
  • macaron01
    macaron01 Posts: 8 Member
    Ok to answer the question, I am perfectly healthy and no medical conditions, slightly overweight. So that is why I worry about wether fruit sugar will have any impact on the body weight. The 500-1000 cal off basically is from exercise.