Bingeing

Options
I'm so unhappy. I lost 20kg about 3 years ago. The weight is creeping back on as I am. Bingeing most evenings. I hate myself for it. Any help or advice? I'm desperate ☹️

Replies

• jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well.

Everytime I binge, though, it's for some psychological reason. For example, when I'm frustrated with my work load, when my partner is pissing me off, etc.

When I binge at night, (like last night) ... it was because I stayed up too late and didn't eat enough protein for dinner so I got hungry at 12am, and went straight to the pantry. I ate until I had a headache ... but I wish that I had just gone to bed early (10pm) in order to avoid the stomach and emotional upset.

However, everything I ate after midnight, I logged into today's diary, so I can pretty much only eat 900 calories today because of the damage I did so late last night...

Idk if this is the best system, but it's my system and it's working for me (I'm still losing 1-2 lbs a month)

Jillian
  • alisonwoodrow12
    alisonwoodrow12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you. I'm so depressed food is my only comfort.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me, it took addressing the cause head-on to make any progress. I know I binge when I'm bored and when I'm depressed, so for the first issue it's about mindfulness every time I reach for something if I'm reaching for it for any other reason than I'm hungry and to instead treat the real symptom. For mental health treatment, I gave up on the system because I put in a decade of effort to get nothing out of it, but I recently explored alternative treatment options for my depression and anxiety and found something that is working for me and it's been the key to reversing my situation.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you. I'm so depressed food is my only comfort.
    Is it really?
    I'm so unhappy. I lost 20kg about 3 years ago. The weight is creeping back on as I am. Bingeing most evenings. I hate myself for it. Any help or advice? I'm desperate ☹️

I binge for comfort in the moment, but long term, it rarely helps. It took me a long time to realize it, and I still don't care at times (give me instant gratification), but it was a good realization for me.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    There is a good book named "Brain Over Binge" It is available for download on Amazon Kindle. Its a good read. Both Katherine and I have slayed the binge beast.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You've received some good advice. I just want to add that if I can redirect that urge to consume toward meat I can usually stop it in its tracks. Big "if" though, I know.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Red flags everywhere

OP, binging and being depressed warrant a trip to the therapist. Or reach out to those online who can help. I refer any client out who binges or has binged so they can sort through the right process and learn how to break the habit.
    Best of luck on your journey and I hope you seek help before this becomes a bigger problem.

If you're on Facebook, seek out Georgie Fear and see what her rate is for a Skype session. She's who I refer my clients to in these cases.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. What helps:
    1. Eat a decent, filling dinner so that you do not start snacking due to hunger. Of course, you don't want to add too many calories, so add a lot of veggies on the side. With my dinner today (homemade lentil loaf), I made a big side of sautéed cabbage.
    2. Brush & floss right after dinner. Once this happens, it's my signal to stop eating, and I am too lazy to rebrush
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling with overeating/ evening binges too. I'm fine until around 4pm then i feel tired and bored and hit the snacks. Dinner comes soon after (even though I'm not hungry then) and i continue the snacks through to bedtime. I really feel like I need to break this cycle.
  • alisonwoodrow12
    Options
    I'm very similar. Ate much less yesterday. Stepped on the scales and stayed the same. Arrgh ☹️
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I'm very similar. Ate much less yesterday. Stepped on the scales and stayed the same. Arrgh ☹️

Don't worry about the scales in the short term. Water weight changes make it unreliable. Celebrate your success when you get the numbers right.

• gracemaryx
    gracemaryx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bingeing is definitely a problem for me too, it always has been. I feel out of control at times. 20kg down and I still struggle with it.

The only way to control it is too really really force yourself to not give in. Think of the horrible feelings you feel after a binge. Think of how amazing you'll feel in the morning if you just resist the urge and go to sleep.

A cup of green/mint/camomile tea with stevia does help resist the urge to binge but I know sometimes it's uncontrollable. Like you physically can't restrain yourself. Just take it one step at a time. You are stronger than you think.

When I do give into the binge I usually take it easy and eat less carbs/fats the next day. I've still lost weight. Remember it's not the end of the world. Good on you for addressing the problem.
  • alisonwoodrow12
    Options
    Another binge last night. My partner remarked I was being piggy. Feel worse than ever this morning. Two bottles of wine didn't help either. Wish I could turn the clock back.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had to cut my drinking down by about 95% to get on track with eating correct portion sizes, not bingeing, and finally- losing weight. Even though I counted my wine calories, I didn't seem to lose weight, and I slipped a lot. For the past 8 weeks I have wine maybe four times. But I often go over my calories, or just not care, after a couple of glasses of wine. I've had to basically cut out wine over the past 5 years, to lose weight. When I try to add it back in, in moderation, I start gaining weight. The message is loud and clear, if I can just listen.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Another binge last night. My partner remarked I was being piggy. Feel worse than ever this morning. Two bottles of wine didn't help either. Wish I could turn the clock back.

Yesterday was a binge day for me too. I've had more than normal recently. Bronchitis put my exercise routine on the shelf and with no exercise I'm more likely to binge. I tried my own advice to eat meat and it didn't work yesterday. It HAS worked though so I'm not going to retract it.

Today's job is just to remember that feeling guilt and shame hinders rather than helps, I need to just get on track today and do my best to stay on track.

Hope you're doing the same OP. This group and specifically this thread might help you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38966639#Comment_38966639