How much do you spend on groceries?

Options
Shannon7713
Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
Hello everyone! I know this is not a fitness topic, but I am curious (because of my families spending habits) on how much is "NORMAL" to spend on groceries a month? Going thru our budget and just realized that in 18 days we have spent close to $800.00 on food and health and beauty items (razors, diapers, shampoos, detergents etc). We have a family of 5. We are a one income family and no wonder we are living paycheck to paycheck lately.
How much do you all spend each month and how big is your family?
Thank You so much!!

Shannon :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kportelli70
    Options
    We are a family of 7 (plus 2 dogs and a tortoise) and on average I spend $1200 per month.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 4 on $100 a week. That's including toiletries, fresh meats and veggies. I am a coupon shopper so I save a lot of money doing that, and I have huge stockpiles of deodorant, toothpaste, shampoos, ect... :)
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    We are a family of 3 plus 1 dog. and we spend 60 a week on everything. Food, household stuff,personal care, dog stuff.

We used to spend alot more. But since couponing, I have a huge stockpile of everything but food. Everything is easy to find very cheap except food.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I feed a family of 4 on $100 a week. That's including toiletries, fresh meats and veggies. I am a coupon shopper so I save a lot of money doing that, and I have huge stockpiles of deodorant, toothpaste, shampoos, ect... :)

Woot!:)....I highly suggest trying to coupon. It took me 2 months to build a stockpile of cleaners, personal stuff to last a year. and I spent barely anything on it!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Anywhere from 100-160 a week depending on the need of toiletries and such. That doesn't included paper towels, toilet paper, diapers or laundry detergent....those all come from Sam's club and we don't have to buy those as often. Maybe every other month.
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    OMGoodness girl! We need to talk. I have a family of 4 and I am a super coupon freak. Last week I spent less than $60 on groceries at a main grocery store (not Walmart) and about $25 dollars on fruit, yogurt,low fat cheese sticks (just because of the brand) at Sams Club. I would be glad to share what I have learned with you and trust me it will rock your world. I have found that I spend a TON less and we eat healthier because I can afford to by better meats and veggies for my family. Lets Chat. Friend me if you want!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    for me and my partner who scoffs everything he can get his lips around i probably spend about £250 a month, but i have 4 guineas that also need a lot of veg :o)
  • mbolton55
    mbolton55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 5 (plus a dog and a rat). We are on a budget and I try to only spend 100 a week on food, but sometimes I can't hit that because of the other stuff that comes up needed like health and beauty stuff, so it can range from 100-150 a week. :smile:
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There's only two of us in my house but we hit 2 major grocery stores and Costco every couple of weeks and we watch the flyers...last week we bought 6 full size tubes of Crest toothpaste at Costco and from the price at our local grocery store we saved nearly 20.00 and will have enough toothpaste until we need dentures lol
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's just me and my husband (no kids), and when he is home, we spend about $400 a month on groceries. But since he is deployed I've only been spending about $40 on groceries a month, plus my Lean Shakes from GNC, so total for just me its $100 a month.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We are a family of 4 and spend a little under $500. We are moving though and I'm hoping to cut back to maybe $80 a week, so a little over $320. I hope we can do it.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    its just me and my cat and i spend about 40 dollars a week on groceries
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My family of 5 (with a dog & turtle too LOL), on a single income, budgets about $250/week for household items (think walmart) & groceries. And that's higher than we used to spend since we've switched to a more organic diet.

I suggest you make a list of what you need when you run out of it, and stick to the list at the store. Take a calculator too. I buy my "pantry" items (non-refrigerated stuff) at walmart and stick to my grocery store for the cold stuff... fresh produce, meat and dairy.

Good luck. If you're mindful, you'll do better.

Oh, I've also taken just cash with me into the store to make sure I stick to my budget... it REALLY makes you add up every penny and decide whether or not to throw in those impulse buys! lol
  • david83ec
    david83ec Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For me and my wife its about 35 USD +- weekly, for food and personal care items
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    We are empty nesters with two dogs. We spend about $400 a month. That includes food, dog food, toiletries, paper goods and cleaning supplies. Some months I spend a little more if one of the stores is having a good stock up sale and some months a little less if I have items I stocked up on. I try to shop once a week for fruit and veg, but sometimes I go twice. Depends how much I buy the first time and how the produce looks when I go. I use coupons when I can but I don't buy much packaged stuff except for cleaning, paper goods and toiletries so I don't find many coupons to use.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I would say anywhere from $600+ a month including diapers, toiletries, etc...with a family of 5 that is. It just depends on how much we are eating, etc.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm a family of 6 (7 during the summer) and I spend 120 for a week.. that includes non food items.. like pullups and dog food ect
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    2 adults & a 16 y/o boy = about $175 a wk. shopping but sometimes more or less. However, we buy what we want & don't "eat on sale" at all unless it's a product we usually get & stock up. Have switched to primarily organic & shop farmers markets as well. It sure seems like a lot but to us it's worth it. We clip coupons for our products and might typically save $4-$12 there if we're lucky!
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    wow, Thank you all so much for your replies. I have major issues with shopping.... My pantry is STOCKED yet I still continue to buy. ( the kids and hubs dont want what in there sometimes and I just keep buying) I need to make some changes.... thank you all again ♥♥
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Family of 3 plus a dog & we spend on average $125-$150 a week on groceries & toiletries.