Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing your progress. Good luck!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting wheatgrass, someone hold me...

Try and focus on what seems like hunger pangs, to us, is, well, normal stomach. We are so used to being full or eating. It took me awhile before I could feel hungry without feeling anxious and to realize that anxious was what I was feeling in the first place. it's no different then quitting smoking if you eat to self medicate. This is why some GBS have issues, they take away the 'medicine' and don't address the issues.

Figure out how you got here and why. It's not normal for us to be this way and I have a hard time believing there are many happy fat people. I had to come to terms with what I was avoiding my eating a box of Frosted Flakes. When I stopped drinking the eating really got crazy.

SOme of it is mouth hunger, chew gum, if it helps, the juice police will never know....

But in all seriousness unless we deal with what got us here, nothing will work, not fasting, surgery, whatever. Not eating is hard because I don't think how much time we realize is taken up by eating, thing about what to eat, feeling ****ty for eating, and on and on an on.

Edited to add.

If you are gonna throw a banana in a blender, you can eat it, you know,lol. Give yourself a healthy option. I only juice hard fruits, the rest goes in the blender, spinach, even. This may make you fuller because it's the whole fruit/veg.

those hunger pangs are from the glycemic load and stress juice fasters experience. basically, juice fasting is a liquid carbohydrate diet.
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This may be "silly" but why couldn't I just eat all the fruits and veggies without turning them into juice? Would this not work the same?
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    This may be "silly" but why couldn't I just eat all the fruits and veggies without turning them into juice? Would this not work the same?

Got this from Lance Armstrong's website
    A big difference between juiced vegetables and whole vegetables is digestion. According to the Living and Raw Foods website, juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables. Much more of the nutrients are then absorbed by the body as compared to eating the whole vegetable. Certain diseases, such as inflammatory bowel diseases and malabsorption, make it difficult to digest food. This can often lead to malnutrition, since many nutrients are not readily absorbed by the body. Juicing is a way for the body to benefit from vegetables because it is easier to digest.
    Benefits
    Both eating your vegetables and juicing your vegetables will give you essential nutrients needed by the body to help fight disease. But juicing will give you more of those nutrients than just eating your vegetables. Vegetables have phytochemicals, which have been found to protect cells from damage and help fight disease. According to the Joyful Juicer website, these biochemical substances may prevent and fight against heart disease, diabetes, asthma, cancer, allergies and digestive system ailments. A study published in the American Journal of Medicine, according to the Natural News website, reports that both vegetable and fruit juice may help protect against Alzheimer's disease due to the phytochemical polyphenol. Not only does juicing provide more of these phytochemicals, it also provides the body with more water.
    Studies
    There is no surprise that eating your vegetables is healthy. According to the Vegetarianism and Vegetarian Nutrition website, a 1997 report published by the World Cancer Research Fund, choosing predominantly plant-based diets, full of fruits and vegetables, lowers the risk of cancer. A 1997 study of 47,000 Italians published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that individuals with high consumption of vegetables lowered their risk of myocardial infarction by 21 percent and angina by 11 percent, according to the Vegetarianism and Vegetarian Nutrition website. But if you don't like eating vegetables or cannot digest raw whole vegetables, juicing provides a way for you to gain the benefits of these results. The Natural News website reports that a study done by the University of California at Davis showed that people who drank their vegetables in conjunction with eating vegetables were more likely to consume the recommended daily amount. The vegetable-juice drinkers stated they enjoyed drinking the vegetables and found it a more convenient way of adding vegetables to their diet.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I actually just bought a cheap juicer last week to try and incorporate more juice in my diet. I haven't used it yet but I'm interested in seeing how your juicing goes! I added you as a friend.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    I'm just starting wheatgrass, someone hold me...

Try and focus on what seems like hunger pangs, to us, is, well, normal stomach. We are so used to being full or eating. It took me awhile before I could feel hungry without feeling anxious and to realize that anxious was what I was feeling in the first place. it's no different then quitting smoking if you eat to self medicate. This is why some GBS have issues, they take away the 'medicine' and don't address the issues.

Figure out how you got here and why. It's not normal for us to be this way and I have a hard time believing there are many happy fat people. I had to come to terms with what I was avoiding my eating a box of Frosted Flakes. When I stopped drinking the eating really got crazy.

SOme of it is mouth hunger, chew gum, if it helps, the juice police will never know....

But in all seriousness unless we deal with what got us here, nothing will work, not fasting, surgery, whatever. Not eating is hard because I don't think how much time we realize is taken up by eating, thing about what to eat, feeling ****ty for eating, and on and on an on.

Edited to add.

If you are gonna throw a banana in a blender, you can eat it, you know,lol. Give yourself a healthy option. I only juice hard fruits, the rest goes in the blender, spinach, even. This may make you fuller because it's the whole fruit/veg.

those hunger pangs are from the glycemic load and stress juice fasters experience. basically, juice fasting is a liquid carbohydrate diet.

Again. Vegetables. Have. Protein.

While Vegans have more variety, they seem to live, look and feel really well. This is because Vegetables. Have. Protein. One of my juice mixes has 11 grams of protein. From. A. Vegetable.

My vegan protein powder (non soy) is 20 grams per serving of protein. From vegetables.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    So far, so good. Day 3 and we feel great! Days 1 and 2 were kinda crappy - we didn't feel bad, no muscle aches, headaches, nothing like that, we just kinda felt down/gloomy ... it didn't help at ALL that NOBODY around us has supported our decision, so that I'm sure has a lot to do with it. Anyway, today we feel great, energized, productive, both in great moods, ready to conquer the next 7 days.

GL to the rest who are doing the juice fast- :flowerforyou:
  • awandell
    Options
    So far, so good. Day 3 and we feel great! Days 1 and 2 were kinda crappy - we didn't feel bad, no muscle aches, headaches, nothing like that, we just kinda felt down/gloomy ... it didn't help at ALL that NOBODY around us has supported our decision, so that I'm sure has a lot to do with it. Anyway, today we feel great, energized, productive, both in great moods, ready to conquer the next 7 days.

Awesome! So glad you're feeling well! We're tinkering around with the idea of staying on the fast longer than 10 days. We are feeling really great, full of energy, thinking clearly, our skin is clearing up, even weird veins that were showing up on my legs (over 2 years ago) are disappearing. I am loving this fast. I wish I would've known about it sooner!
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So I'm not going to do a full on juice fast, more like a 7 day raw food diet. (I've been craving / eating too many sweets recently, so figured I'd try it) I'm starting next monday, and will do it during a "rest week" for P90X.

For those of you that purely juice, do you still count calories? How many calories per day do you aim for?

Carrot / Apple / Ginger is my favorite by the way.
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    Im on day two and not feeling great- - do others usually experience this? Last night was really tough mentally feeling like i NEEDED to eat- even though i wasnt particularly hungry. Mentally i feel alert- just achy all over. I had a great green smoothie yesterday with fruit, almonds, spinach, hemp seeds, and flax, so I think i met alot of nutritional needs- i might still be sore from pushing myself monday with starting to walk and some running when i am usually not active. Will see how today goes- thanks for all the positive support in this thread!
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    my brother did the 2 week juice detox and changed his diet. he is the picture of health now.

good luck to you
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options

From the show you would have to eat a lot of veggies and fruits in one sitting, but I don't see why not, its foods like fennel I don't see myself eating...
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

Keep going, your doing great
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Im on day two and not feeling great- - do others usually experience this? Last night was really tough mentally feeling like i NEEDED to eat- even though i wasnt particularly hungry. Mentally i feel alert- just achy all over. I had a great green smoothie yesterday with fruit, almonds, spinach, hemp seeds, and flax, so I think i met alot of nutritional needs- i might still be sore from pushing myself monday with starting to walk and some running when i am usually not active. Will see how today goes- thanks for all the positive support in this thread!

Hey yeah day one and two were blah, but thats because we are so use to eating unhealthy. but now its time for change and I think this fast will push us to eat healthier and change our habits. Just keep pushing, don't watch commercials. I saw a lot of fastfood and restaurant commercials yesterday I almost went out and to by something unhealthy. But I stayed strong and didn't. So commercials I get up go outside for a few minutes, walk around and then I am ok. Your doing great the first few days will be hard, but just keep going.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Alright Day 3 is here and I am filling revived and energized, think i will do some jogging today. So excited another 2.6lbs gone. and Its gonna stay gone. How is everyone else feeling today thats juicing, or even just eating more veggies and fruits? I feel like I can conquer the world...Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy, for it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one's liberty. Lets see how the rest of the day goes. I'm Ready!!!
  • awandell
    Options

Girl, we felt awful on day two. I let my husband nap as long as he wanted to (that was his day off), and we just let things go as we felt awful from all the toxins being leached out of our bodies. Hang in there. It's the detox process. It included headaches, body aches, fatigue, and just plain crappy feeling, but still there was a mental clarity that I was appreciating on day two, just like you said. Hang in there! Today is day 5. I ran for 55 minutes on the elliptical and I feel amazing (not tired at all! Although the workout was -whew- a hard workout). It gets better! a LOT better!
  • awandell
    Options
    Alright Day 3 is here and I am filling revived and energized, think i will do some jogging today. So excited another 2.6lbs gone. and Its gonna stay gone. How is everyone else feeling today thats juicing, or even just eating more veggies and fruits? I feel like I can conquer the world...Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy, for it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one's liberty. Lets see how the rest of the day goes. I'm Ready!!!

We are playing around with the idea of doing this fast longer because we really love it! We'll see how it goes though! I've never been so energized during a workout as I was today (except when I was maybe 16). Feeling really really great on day 5! We've also found some recipes that we can tolerate better, so that helps! Ha! Still hiding brussel sprouts in juice (bleh!) But really, really loving this. Both of our energy levels have skyrocketed!
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

We are playing around with the idea of doing this fast longer because we really love it! We'll see how it goes though! I've never been so energized during a workout as I was today (except when I was maybe 16). Feeling really really great on day 5! We've also found some recipes that we can tolerate better, so that helps! Ha! Still hiding brussel sprouts in juice (bleh!) But really, really loving this. Both of our energy levels have skyrocketed!

Still playing around with recipes, but still not liking any of the veggies, love the fruits though, except, did not care for the watermelon mix I had today (Mostly watermelon) Strawberry, rasberry, blueberries and pear
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Love this topic discussion and so thankful it was started (Thanks ddakota!). :flowerforyou: Thanks for accepting my friend request, too :) I hope for us to enjoy our journey to healthier living.

I found you when I saw a reply by one of my friends. Then watched the movie suggested, have read everyone's replies, and have done some of my own research. My personal take on the subject is that I completely understand the need for some sort of jump-start when one realizes that the/our/my body has gotten so out of shape and feeling fat and unhealthy that one just needs to get back in control. Like wiping a cluttered chalkboard, sometimes we have to clean house, inside our bodies and our kitchen. South Beach does it, and it's touted as one of the healthiest programs out there. In fact, just about every "diet program" out there has some sort of transitioning system in place towards healthier meal planning which includes going through our kitchens and throwing out the junk.

The clutter (junk food) which has crept into our pantries and refrigerators isn't always put there by only our hand and only for us. We are often pressured into purchasing and stocking soda's, certain breads, chips, cookies, ice-creams, cheeses, pasta dishes, etc... not only by the fast food industry and TV commercials... but by our loved ones. As women, we are generally people-pleasers, and we often purchase things, even unhealthy things, with the intention of pleasing our loved ones.

Unlike drug addicts and alcohol addiction... we cannot just STOP eating food. Food is not always an addiction, but can be just a matter of fatigue and convenience and our busy lifestyles. Problems with being over-weight and under-nourished can also have a WHOLE LOT to do with the other people in our lives.

I can't tell you how many times my hubby (who eats ice cream most nights) will ask me if I want any. If I say no, he then pressures me by saying, "are you sure?", sometimes repeatedly. Then often informs me all the goodies he put in his bowl (cookies, choc.syrup, nuts, etc), and will ask me if I want a bite. On the occasions which I have stated, "ok, just one scoop"... he has brought me a bowl with 3 heaping scoops. Needless to say, we ended up having a "discussion" about it.

I happen to have been brought up with a varied appreciation of all sorts of foods. I love veggies, and can enjoy a whole meal with nothing but veggies, raw and/or steamed/boiled. I've been enjoying more and more fresh fruits and veggies and can almost not tolerate frozen veggies of any kind, so dining out is often disappointing. I don't HAVE to have sweets, but do occasionally indulge but not often, but I do love pretty much anything chocolate or toffee-flavored.

I'm not fond of the idea of just juicing every meal (for me), but would love to know some recipes for something similar to V-8 (without the high sodium or sugar content of store-bought) to replace a meal or two a day.

Anyway, I've been dabbling in a bit of smoothie-making. I enjoy broccoli soup, so I've been experimenting with that. So far, I still add a touch of cheese and Smart Balance buttery spread and a bit of salt. Hopefully I can wean myself away from the added touches soon, as I learn which herbs to add.

PS...A "diet" is what you eat... not something you go on and off of.
    I look forward to the continued updates :)
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Love this topic discussion and so thankful it was started (Thanks ddakota!). :flowerforyou: Thanks for accepting my friend request, too :) I hope for us to enjoy our journey to healthier living.

I found you when I saw a reply by one of my friends. Then watched the movie suggested, have read everyone's replies, and have done some of my own research. My personal take on the subject is that I completely understand the need for some sort of jump-start when one realizes that the/our/my body has gotten so out of shape and feeling fat and unhealthy that one just needs to get back in control. Like wiping a cluttered chalkboard, sometimes we have to clean house, inside our bodies and our kitchen. South Beach does it, and it's touted as one of the healthiest programs out there. In fact, just about every "diet program" out there has some sort of transitioning system in place towards healthier meal planning which includes going through our kitchens and throwing out the junk.

The clutter (junk food) which has crept into our pantries and refrigerators isn't always put there by only our hand and only for us. We are often pressured into purchasing and stocking soda's, certain breads, chips, cookies, ice-creams, cheeses, pasta dishes, etc... not only by the fast food industry and TV commercials... but by our loved ones. As women, we are generally people-pleasers, and we often purchase things, even unhealthy things, with the intention of pleasing our loved ones.

Unlike drug addicts and alcohol addiction... we cannot just STOP eating food. Food is not always an addiction, but can be just a matter of fatigue and convenience and our busy lifestyles. Problems with being over-weight and under-nourished can also have a WHOLE LOT to do with the other people in our lives.

I can't tell you how many times my hubby (who eats ice cream most nights) will ask me if I want any. If I say no, he then pressures me by saying, "are you sure?", sometimes repeatedly. Then often informs me all the goodies he put in his bowl (cookies, choc.syrup, nuts, etc), and will ask me if I want a bite. On the occasions which I have stated, "ok, just one scoop"... he has brought me a bowl with 3 heaping scoops. Needless to say, we ended up having a "discussion" about it.

I happen to have been brought up with a varied appreciation of all sorts of foods. I love veggies, and can enjoy a whole meal with nothing but veggies, raw and/or steamed/boiled. I've been enjoying more and more fresh fruits and veggies and can almost not tolerate frozen veggies of any kind, so dining out is often disappointing. I don't HAVE to have sweets, but do occasionally indulge but not often, but I do love pretty much anything chocolate or toffee-flavored.

I'm not fond of the idea of just juicing every meal (for me), but would love to know some recipes for something similar to V-8 (without the high sodium or sugar content of store-bought) to replace a meal or two a day.

Anyway, I've been dabbling in a bit of smoothie-making. I enjoy broccoli soup, so I've been experimenting with that. So far, I still add a touch of cheese and Smart Balance buttery spread and a bit of salt. Hopefully I can wean myself away from the added touches soon, as I learn which herbs to add.

PS...A "diet" is what you eat... not something you go on and off of.
    I look forward to the continued updates :)

I can relate to everything you said, there are a lot of juice recipes out there, just google it, thats what I have been doing. Trying different things, i actually made one up today and it was actually good, i was suprised, it was 2 apples, almost 2 cups of spinach and kale, a quarter of a beet and some fresh parsley. all in all it was good, i was surprised. Juicing is fun and you get a lot more food into u all at once. Have fun juicing