Plant-Based Eating for 21 Days- New To This- Anyone Else

1235»

Replies

• eramir27
    eramir27 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey If it still interests you. Ive been a vegan for over a year and its been a tough but very awesome journey. Some recommendations on plant based protein:
    Quinoa combo with chickpeas
    Tempeh
    Tofu

If you are concerned with lack of B12:
    Try Spirulina powder or tablets

For the most of vitamins and minerals, plants contain a high amount on this, every different plant has its benefits, you can always research individually based on your preference. I might include a green juice from time to time as it really does the body good. Good luck on your journey! I hope you enjoy it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    eramir27 wrote: »
    Hey If it still interests you. Ive been a vegan for over a year and its been a tough but very awesome journey. Some recommendations on plant based protein:
    Quinoa combo with chickpeas
    Tempeh
    Tofu

If you are concerned with lack of B12:
    Try Spirulina powder or tablets

For the most of vitamins and minerals, plants contain a high amount on this, every different plant has its benefits, you can always research individually based on your preference. I might include a green juice from time to time as it really does the body good. Good luck on your journey! I hope you enjoy it.

Spirulina contains a B12 analog, not B12. It is not a reliable source of B12. When studied clinically, it did not improve B12 levels in people who consumed it. It may even interfere with absorption of actual B12.

Here is some more information: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/plant#spiru
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    ambridget2 wrote: »
    I want to try plant-based eating so I am beginning a 21 Day Program on my own. Grocery shopping was exhausting yet eye-opening. Any advice from vegans on their beginnings?
    The best advice for this site is to not take advice from the open forums; check out the vegan groups. People who have never tried it tend to be fairly hostile and uninformed on the subject.

Keep your favorite fruits and vegetables on hand at home.
    Log your calories, at least at first, to make sure you get enough.
    Potatoes and rice, even the much maligned white varieties, are your friend.
    Eat your greens. Every day.
    Veggie soups are super easy to make, very filling, and can be very nutritious.
  • Anithen
    Anithen Posts: 5 Member
    I recommend taking a good multi vitamin and sip fortified vegan milks weekly so you aren't missing any vitamins. Aside from that, there are a lot of simple things to eat. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.