I gain weight by eating healthy????????????

Options

Replies

• cdurgin
    cdurgin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know for me when I have a "cheat" meal, I see it two days later on the scale, not the next day.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about picking an "eating plan" and working with that for about 3 months to see if that helps? It really doesn't matter which one as long as long as it's balanced in terms of protein, carbs, fats. I like the paleo recipes a lot and tend to use them as meal ideas, because, dieting is boring.

From my Navy days: "Plan the dive; dive the plan." If you have a plan and daily goals, that really helps.

I *try* to limit my total calories to 1400; my carbs to 53 g; my fats to 62 g; my sugar to 15 g and I try to get at least 21g fiber and 158 g protein. I am not always successful - so far I am averaging 2 out of 3 compliant days for my calories. But - I have found that by limiting my carbs and sugar that I am not starving (and "hangry") and I am not going into ketosis either.

(You can set up which nutrients to track and the amounts under the HOME tab / Goals.)

I have a protein shake in the morning (right now I am using coconut milk, whey protein, ground chia seed, modified citrus pectin and moringa herb), which I make the night before; (224 calories) (Sometimes I use flax or basil seed).

I make up a blended meal of veggies on Sundays for lunches (5 carrots, 5 to 10 celery stalks depending on how big they are, 1 sweet onion, 5 cloves of garlic, 1 to 2 bunches of curly parsley, up to 3 lemons juiced, 2 TBSP good olive oil, sea salt, pepper). I add different spices each week - like smoked paprika, chili seasoning, so that I don't get bored. (48 calories)

You can also add tomatoes, avocado, cucumbers, beets, etc to mix it up.) (You make up the recipe as you go and weigh each thing for the grams, then divide by 5 for your daily amount).

I also saute a huge amount of different kinds of mushrooms (with olive oil and garlic and salt and pepper) and then add lemon juice and eat some of them for lunch to kind of give me some texture and bulk. (92 calories).

I have 160 grams of plain full fat yogurt that I add some home made marinated cucumbers (salt / pepper, olive oil and lemon) and dill to for my protein for lunch (209 calories).

Dinner is usually a out take of a paleo recipe that I make low carb for the remaining calories. This is usually where the variances to my calories come in and even though I am over 1400 calories sometimes, I am usually under 1500.

Good luck! <3
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    i weigh sometimes in the day and night.. i love watching it go up and down lol..

I need a life lol

Bodies are weird. For a long time I'd be a pound less from evening to morning, like clockwork for the most part. This year it's a two pound drop overnight. Weird body is weird. But agreed, it is fun to watch. I have suddenly realised, despite me weighing daily but apparently I'm not overly observant, that second week after break week of my pill, my weight stalls. I'm interested to see at which point it drops. It also drops between Saturday-Monday of pill break week.

I find it totally fascinating.
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand that weight is fluid. I do not understand my weight. I skip breakfast and lunch almost everyday, which helps with the weight loss. Two days ago i ate only grilled vegetables at dinner time and nothing else. I weighed 128.7. Yesterday i didn't eat breakfast or lunch but i did eat a bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, three pieces of pizza, and some cake. For some reason, i only weighed 128.2. Today, i ate a large ceaser salad for lunch and a tiny bit of chinese food for dinner and some wheat thins. For some reason i ended up weighing 129.4????

Don't skip meals. Eat balanced, nutritious ones. It is not just eating at a calorie deficit, it's also eating nutritiously and regularly. You not only need to consider calories, but also carbs. I always recommend someone see a registered dietitian specializing in weight loss. Certainly, it does cost something but it is an excellent investment in your health.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I understand that weight is fluid. I do not understand my weight. I skip breakfast and lunch almost everyday, which helps with the weight loss. Two days ago i ate only grilled vegetables at dinner time and nothing else. I weighed 128.7. Yesterday i didn't eat breakfast or lunch but i did eat a bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, three pieces of pizza, and some cake. For some reason, i only weighed 128.2. Today, i ate a large ceaser salad for lunch and a tiny bit of chinese food for dinner and some wheat thins. For some reason i ended up weighing 129.4????

It is less than 1 lb difference in 3 days. Weight fluctuation is normal. If you are going to weigh every day get used to seeing the number go up and down. Be patient and stick to your plan.
    You don't mention calories at all. You ate some very calorie dense foods. Are you tracking your calorie intake? Using a food scale?
    Your diet doesn't seem super healthy in that you do not seem to be getting a balance of nutrients each day. It looks like just random food you grabbed. That doesn't matter for weight loss (because calories are important for that) but for health you might want to pay more attention to meeting your nutritional needs.
    A lot of foods you ate in the past few days are higher sodium which lead to water retention. That make the number on the scale go up by a pound or more.
    You might also have more food waste (poop) in your system still if you ate more.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cdurgin wrote: »
    I know for me when I have a "cheat" meal, I see it two days later on the scale, not the next day.

I'm the same way. If it's a lot of salt, it hits the next day, but if not it takes a couple of days.

Seems weird to me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    When you skip meals your body stores anything it can as fat incase its being starved again.
    Google, why I'm not losing weight when I eat less. There's hundreds of articles

No. Plenty of us here do IF and only eat 1-2 times a day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does.

Don't most people doing IF eat two meals a day? I would have thought it would be difficult to pack all the nutrients you need for good health into a single meal. Do-able, but requiring a fair amount of planning. So, I would tend to say that 1 meal per day would not be a good idea for somebody like the OP who doesn't seem to be planning her food all that much. She may be setting herself up for cravings and binges by eating so rarely without paying attention to fat and protein content of her food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    i weigh sometimes in the day and night.. i love watching it go up and down lol..

I need a life lol

Bodies are weird. For a long time I'd be a pound less from evening to morning, like clockwork for the most part. This year it's a two pound drop overnight. Weird body is weird. But agreed, it is fun to watch. I have suddenly realised, despite me weighing daily but apparently I'm not overly observant, that second week after break week of my pill, my weight stalls. I'm interested to see at which point it drops. It also drops between Saturday-Monday of pill break week.

I find it totally fascinating.

Not so weird: It's really wired into the mechanism.

Where does your fat go when you lose it? Defecation/urination? Some, but not mostly.

Where, then? You exhale it. You burn the darn stuff up and it goes away like smoke out a chimney. (http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257 - watch the cute little video if you don't like research writings.)

While you're asleep, you have no food/water input, and plenty of exhalation. So, when you're in a calorie deficit, the majority of your fat loss leaves via exhalation. Moreover, your exhalation also includes moisture (humidity), and that has weight - more output without offsetting input for several hours. In addition, you sweat - maybe not lots, maybe not perceptibly, but you do. More water leaving with no offset.

No surprise that you weigh less in the morning than at night! ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    cdurgin wrote: »

I'm the same way. If it's a lot of salt, it hits the next day, but if not it takes a couple of days.

Seems weird to me.

Also not so weird. Digestive system transit time varies by individual, but research suggests it easily exceeds 30 hours (sometimes significantly). Nutrients/calories have to be processed and converted into fat (or muscle, or whatever). Nutrients are extracted along the digestive route. It takes time.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340

Weight loss really is just a fun science-fair project for grown-ups. ;) Now, back to our regularly-scheduled thread - apologies, OP. :)
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    OP you have neither gained weight (in any meaningful sense) or eaten healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What you do one day has very little bearing on what happens the next and body weight fluctuates naturally.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sorry i know this isnt the actual reason why we brush our teeth in the morning but the only comment that came to mind after reading that is "I am going to need a mintier toothpaste from breathing out all that fat" LOL

CO2: Odorless. ;)