February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @elise4270 You never cease to crack me up. I've never heard of "square 0.005". LOL Good luck with the lottery and thanks for all your support.

Your welcome! I've got one toe in square 1, basically plans without any action, lol! It's a start! Kinda.

I guess I could stick one whole foot out in square 1 by getting out and joining planet fitness so I can get up early tomorrow and work out.... I mean I could. *Shrugs* I'm just watching Netflix. Wait. Hulu. Know any good shows on either?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 You never cease to crack me up. I've never heard of "square 0.005". LOL Good luck with the lottery and thanks for all your support.

Your welcome! I've got one toe in square 1, basically plans without any action, lol! It's a start! Kinda.

I guess I could stick one whole foot out in square 1 by getting out and joining planet fitness so I can get up early tomorrow and work out.... I mean I could. *Shrugs*

LOL Do it!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2017
    Options

I guess I could stick one whole foot out in square 1 by getting out and joining planet fitness so I can get up early tomorrow and work out.... I mean I could. *Shrugs*

LOL Do it!

I'll think about it.... Oh wait. Jakkie Chan does, doesn't dawdle thinking. Ugh alright. Where's my shoes?
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    My new thing all weekend was "can I do it in less than a minute?" then I had to do it right away instead of procrastinating. I'm not sure if you can sign up for Planet Fitness in less than a minute though :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    My new thing all weekend was "can I do it in less than a minute?" then I had to do it right away instead of procrastinating. I'm not sure if you can sign up for Planet Fitness in less than a minute though :)

Hey I like that! Yea ya can online. I made it to the gym. Joined. Booked a 6am15 minute visit with the trainer... On a day that I'm off! Ugh crap. Well, i guess it's time to suck it up!

Now I gotta plan for my first visit tomorrow morning. What'll I wear? And what to pack for breakfast. It'll be good to plan some meals. I love frozen pizza, but I gotta take charge of the household meals!
  • greenolivetree
    Options

Hey I like that! Yea ya can online. I made it to the gym. Joined. Booked a 6am15 minute visit with the trainer... On a day that I'm off! Ugh crap. Well, i guess it's time to suck it up!

Now I gotta plan for my first visit tomorrow morning. What'll I wear? And what to pack for breakfast. It'll be good to plan some meals. I love frozen pizza, but I gotta take charge of the household meals!

Nice!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I find I am only successful on the early morning workouts if everything is laid out the night before. Including what I'm wearing to work. Also, since I go to the gym after work, I have to have that bag of stuff ready to go in the car too. I have to leave by about 6:40am for work so there's time to make decisions! It's a pain - and it cuts into the evening but it's the only way to be ready to go.

As far as getting up early... it sucks, but you just have to do it. Eventually you will be so tired you go to bed early!

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I used to do this in an old job when dealing with (email) overload though I had a 2-minute limit. If can be dealt with in <2min then JFDI, otherwise decide if important (very different to urgent). If important schedule time to do it otherwise ignore it. Never really thought about applying to personal life but maybe I should. I'm the world's best procrastinator .. when I can be bothered!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I find I am only successful on the early morning workouts if everything is laid out the night before. Including what I'm wearing to work. Also, since I go to the gym after work, I have to have that bag of stuff ready to go in the car too. I have to leave by about 6:40am for work so there's time to make decisions! It's a pain - and it cuts into the evening but it's the only way to be ready to go.

As far as getting up early... it sucks, but you just have to do it. Eventually you will be so tired you go to bed early!

I wake up 4-5 am anyways I just don't wanna get up. I know I won't go after work. And I'll keep that as my running (walking), biking time. I'll get it all ready the night before. I'll probably have to put the alarm across the room though!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @elise4270 I'd say I'd get up early to support you, but this is our last week before hubby goes back to work so I'm enjoying every minute of sleep before we resume our previous schedule. LOL That 5:20am alarm next week is gonna suck. Ha. At some point I'll start early morning running again though like last summer. Because it's either that or 9pm. I need to avoid the sun too because I found out they ain't kidding when they put "avoid sun exposure" on a medication warning label. :|
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7---2.45 mile walk
    10---same 2.45 mile walk
    11---3.79 walk
    16---3.00
    18---3.32
    20---3.39 more walking miles... I shoulda got the bike out but got caught up in the gym... Maybe mañana.

17.49/something

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    What ARE you guys smoking?!!!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, @HonuNui - that picture is amazing, I can only imagine what it's like to hike there in person.

Date :::: Miles :::: Feb MTD (goal = 70)
    02/01/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    02/02/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    02/03/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 8.3
    02/04/17 :::: 6.8 :::: 15.1
    02/05/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 19.1
    02/06/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 22.8
    02/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.8
    02/08/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 26.1
    02/09/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 28.7
    02/10/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 31.8
    02/11/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 39.4
    02/12/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 41.9
    02/13/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 44.5
    02/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 44.5
    02/15/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 48.0
    02/16/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 51.0
    02/17/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 54.3
    02/18/17 :::: 7.4 :::: 61.7
    02/19/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 64.8
    02/20/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 68.4

Group speedwork tonight was 60-60s. One minute hard, one minute recovery x 9. Plus 4 sprints. Good for the old heart rate. Very happy that it's staying light longer and we didn't have to turn on our headlamps until about halfway through! Spring is coming!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Heavy wet snow Saturday night & Sunday. = no run Sunday. Managed 2 ugly km's tonight after work.
    The footing was horrendous, rough, lumpy compacted snow with a beautiful layer of " Fall on your Kitten " ice underneath it.
    I probably should have turned back after 50m but us runners always think it's going to get better just around the corner. It didn't. Just to add to the running challenge - visibility was non-existent as the sky was overcast with lovely white clouds and white snow on the ground = no visual references. Turned at 1 km and carefully ran home at the sizzling pace of 7:40/km :( , just trying to prevent a fall or injury.

02/05 21.2 km –21.2km –118.8 km – YTD 141.3 – Chilly Willy HM PB@ 2:12:36
    02/06 3.0 km –24.2km –115.8 km – YTD 144.3
    02/11 3.0 km –27.2km –112.8 km – YTD 147.3
    02/13 5.25 km –32.42km –107.55 km – YTD 152.55
    02/18 16.0 km –48.42km –91.55 km – YTD 168.55
    02/20 2.0 km –50.42km –89.55 km – YTD 170.55 – Ice Run on the dike

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    2/1 6.3r 4.4w
    2/2 5.2r 5.3w
    2/3 0.0r 7.25w
    2/4 7.0r 0.5w
    2/5 4.2r 0.0w
    2/6 5.1r 4.6w
    2/7 5.05r 4.4w
    2/8 10.0r 0.5w
    2/9 0.0r 7.3w
    2/10 5.2r 6.1w
    2/11 7.5r 0.5w
    2/12 4.65r 0.0w
    2/13 7.1r 4.0w
    2/14 6.3r 5.0w
    2/15 5.2r 3.2w
    2/16 7.6r 5.6w
    2/17 0.0r 8.7w
    2/18 7.1r 0.75w
    2/19 5.2r 0.0w
    2/20 8.25r 4.0w
    Total so far = 106.95r + 72.1w = 179.05 miles

I think I can safely say that I am increasing my base mileage. For a moment I considered running 10 on the treadmill but then I got tired of watching endless episodes of Two and a Half Men.

I changed my goal in MFP and it recalculated my net calories to 1300. Oh boy.

Also, my running bra apparently hates my boobs. It's leaving painful red areas (I assume it's chafing) along where the wires are. My bf says that means there's something wrong with the bra, but this was the only one I could find that fits. Gonna try some Gold Bond Friction Defense stick and see if that helps.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Wow, that's crazy...and stunning!
    Also, my running bra apparently hates my boobs. It's leaving painful red areas (I assume it's chafing) along where the wires are. My bf says that means there's something wrong with the bra, but this was the only one I could find that fits. Gonna try some Gold Bond Friction Defense stick and see if that helps.
    @RespectTheKitty Vaseline!! I always use vaseline for this on my long runs and it really helps.
    Ok, here's my personal experience in terms of the effects of weight. And that is that the effects are bigger than I would have anticipated. The first time I got into running was back in around 2012. I was the lowest weight I've ever been. I had NO history of running, had just been using the elliptical like a madwoman, and one day went out and ran 4 miles. I very very quickly improved my pace, and PR'd my 5k at just a hair under 22 minutes. Crazy, I know. I also ran 12 miles at I think around an 8:00ish pace, or just over? And I was not using any kind of a training plan or anything. So anyway, I ended up with an overuse injury (of course) because I was also dancing at the same time, and just being stupid about it. And that injury really set me back. It took me a couple years to really find my motivation/drive/dedication to running again.

This time around I have a training plan. I'm being consistent. I'm logging more miles, consistently, than I did back then. This week was my first time ever having a 30 mile week. However, I'm just about 25-30 lbs heavier than I was that first time around. I'm currently 9 lbs over the top end of my healthy BMI range (of course, taking that chart with a grain of salt). And I am sooooo much slower than I was that first time around. Right now, my 5k time is somewhere around 28-29 minutes. I am slowly increasing my speed now, and I am also slowly decreasing my weight, but my speed is NOTHING like it was that first time around. I don't know for sure, but I feel like it is really tied to the weight that I was back then, versus the weight that I am right now. The good thing is, I know that as I continue to stick to my structured/progressive running plan, and continue to lose weight, BOTH of those things will contribute to getting faster. But I know how frustrating it can be, when you know what you were once capable of, and it feels so difficult to regain it.

All I can say is, DON'T GIVE UP! You've got this, you can do it, and you'll get there! Try to stay positive about it as much as you can.
    @KatieJane83 @greenolivetree Definitely agree with this, especially the bold parts. The beginning of my running journey was also the beginning of my weight loss journey so I didn't exactly start out like you two...I was my heaviest when I started running in 2011. However, I don't think it's any coincidence that the same time I was at my lowest weight in 2012/2014, my running also peaked and then I received a stress fracture to go along with it. My weight crept back up and my training/performance slid backward. After Chicago this past fall, I committed myself to losing the 10-15 pounds I knew I needed to help out my training. It worked, but too well and here I am recovering from another stress injury (although yes, I think I jumped the gun a little bit in increasing pace and mileage too fast, my doctor also thinks my bone density has something to do it with too). Something that also may be obvious but I don't think has been mentioned yet is that when I am losing weight or maintaining a lower/ideal weight, I am most likely eating a more balanced diet that better fuels my body for running. Diet and weight definitely go hand in hand and it's easy (at least for me) to justify some junk food here or there with the extra calories I'm burning, but it can easily spiral out of control and then I'm back to where I started. Currently fighting that battle with the Girl Scout cookies that just arrived. But I agree with @katiejane83 's sentiment...don't give up! This seems like it is a great passion of yours and you will get back to that happy running place!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @HonuNui That's a spectacular photo! Thanks for sharing it!