I gain weight by eating healthy????????????

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    i weigh sometimes in the day and night.. i love watching it go up and down lol..

I need a life lol

Bodies are weird. For a long time I'd be a pound less from evening to morning, like clockwork for the most part. This year it's a two pound drop overnight. Weird body is weird. But agreed, it is fun to watch. I have suddenly realised, despite me weighing daily but apparently I'm not overly observant, that second week after break week of my pill, my weight stalls. I'm interested to see at which point it drops. It also drops between Saturday-Monday of pill break week.

I find it totally fascinating.

Not so weird: It's really wired into the mechanism.

Where does your fat go when you lose it? Defecation/urination? Some, but not mostly.

Where, then? You exhale it. You burn the darn stuff up and it goes away like smoke out a chimney. (http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257 - watch the cute little video if you don't like research writings.)

While you're asleep, you have no food/water input, and plenty of exhalation. So, when you're in a calorie deficit, the majority of your fat loss leaves via exhalation. Moreover, your exhalation also includes moisture (humidity), and that has weight - more output without offsetting input for several hours. In addition, you sweat - maybe not lots, maybe not perceptibly, but you do. More water leaving with no offset.

No surprise that you weigh less in the morning than at night! ;)

Oh no that's not the weirdness. The switch from consistently 1lb overnight to now 2lbs overnight is the weirdness. I understand the mechanisms :)
  • fauziyasamir
    fauziyasamir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey i really really need help in making my diet timetable anyone please help me...i can't eat broccoli mushrooms purple cabbage .... please ... i will really appreciate ur help am new to this diet thing
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    When you skip meals your body stores anything it can as fat incase its being starved again.
    Google, why I'm not losing weight when I eat less. There's hundreds of articles

No. Plenty of us here do IF and only eat 1-2 times a day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does.

Don't most people doing IF eat two meals a day? I would have thought it would be difficult to pack all the nutrients you need for good health into a single meal. Do-able, but requiring a fair amount of planning. So, I would tend to say that 1 meal per day would not be a good idea for somebody like the OP who doesn't seem to be planning her food all that much. She may be setting herself up for cravings and binges by eating so rarely without paying attention to fat and protein content of her food.

IF doesnt mean just one or two meals for everyone. it depends. I do IF and for me I usually dont eat after a certain time at night say 8pm and I dont eat again until say noon which gives me a 16:8 IF which means I fast for 16 hrs and eat in an 8 hr period of time. in that time I get in 3 meals and 2-3 snacks most days.some may only have 2 meals in that time frame,some do IF but its not the 16:8,they may do a 5:2 which means 5 days a week they eat low calories and the other 2 they eat at maintenance.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When you skip meals your body stores anything it can as fat incase its being starved again.

No. Plenty of us here do IF and only eat 1-2 times a day. Meal timing/frequency doesn't matter for weight loss, being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does.

Don't most people doing IF eat two meals a day? I would have thought it would be difficult to pack all the nutrients you need for good health into a single meal. Do-able, but requiring a fair amount of planning. So, I would tend to say that 1 meal per day would not be a good idea for somebody like the OP who doesn't seem to be planning her food all that much. She may be setting herself up for cravings and binges by eating so rarely without paying attention to fat and protein content of her food.

IF doesnt mean just one or two meals for everyone. it depends. I do IF and for me I usually dont eat after a certain time at night say 8pm and I dont eat again until say noon which gives me a 16:8 IF which means I fast for 16 hrs and eat in an 8 hr period of time. in that time I get in 3 meals and 2-3 snacks most days.some may only have 2 meals in that time frame,some do IF but its not the 16:8,they may do a 5:2 which means 5 days a week they eat low calories and the other 2 they eat at maintenance.

This was what I thought most people did for IF (2-3 meals; maybe a snack). I asked because I was genuinely surprised/curious to read that 1 meal/day would be a common thing.
  • anfgirl22
    anfgirl22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Carbs and calories are NOT the enemy!! And please don't skip meals. By doing so you are slowing down your metabolism. I used to eat 1300 calories a day, was yoyo-ing in weight the whole time because it was not a sustainable diet. My body was in and out of starvation mode all the time and held onto everything. Now I eat around or maybe a little less than 2000. I honestly don't really care about my calories too much, I'm more concerned with macros and eating when I'm hungry, stopping when I'm full. I've increased my carbs (I mean whole unprocessed foods, not refined sugar) and calories and am not gaining weight by doing so, just the opposite. Focus on whole, plant based meals! Your weight is going to fluctuate naturally, don't base it off day by day meals. I have never been happier or more satiated since I started eating bananas, oats, rice, beans, potatoes, etc. Oh and drink lots of water. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I can identify with the "bunch of cookies, Doritos, peanut butter, 3 pieces of pizza and cake" kind of day. But I'm hopeful that kind of day is just part of our past and not part of our future. I'm not sure how fast the body makes fat out of extra calories, but I think it might take more than a day. I've heard that carbs make you retain a bit of extra water, too, so it would make sense that you might gain a bit of weight (not fat) after a higher carb day.

It's important to discover what kind of diet makes you feel good. After years of trying to get away with high carb dieting that made me hungry and miserable, I finally tried high protein and lower carb. I'm astounded by how good I feel. It's such a relief to not have carb cravings pestering me all day.

The kind of diet that works for you depends on your own body's reaction to a particular balance of macros. But just looking at that day you described...it seems like you were somehow driven to eat things you know weren't the best. That doesn't sound like mere foolishness to me, it sounds like a physiological reaction to the sugar in that bunch of cookies. I know that's going to start a firestorm on here...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

This was what I thought most people did for IF (2-3 meals; maybe a snack). I asked because I was genuinely surprised/curious to read that 1 meal/day would be a common thing.

OMAD is a thing. Not as common as IF where 2-3 meals is more the norm. I actually ended up only having one meal yesterday but it was probably a bit lacking nutrients, I just didn't realise I'd be full the rest of the day! (Giant bowl of homemade dhal and chapatis)
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Thanks for your insight, CattOfTheGarage, but I do disagree with part of your statement - that "You need to cut out all sugar" is nonsense. Saying it's nonsense for everyone is just as incorrect as saying it's necessary for everyone.

There are people using this site who have a history of being at a normal-ish weight, and who seek to stay healthy and increase their health. I wonder if it's mostly these people who react so strongly to the statements they believe are "sugar myths."

At the other end of the spectrum, there are people who use this site because they need to lose a great deal of weight. Perhaps they have been unhealthy for a very long time due to their lack of personal where-with-all to make themselves act like normal-weight people around food. They are bewildered and even demoralized by their evident lack of self control. I don't believe it's this population that takes on the role of the sugar myth buster.

As for myself, upon realizing through experimentation that I was "addicted" to sugar, my natural inclination was to tell other people struggling with self control, "You could try cutting out all sugar!" like I did and see if you find relief from cravings that way. So, in my early days (2010 -2011) on this site, I made some statements about sugar that caused firestorms and I felt rather injured from it.

The posts might well have said, "No, you're fat because you're stupid, not because sugar is hijacking your willpower."

We all need to find the answers that are uniquely true for us, and many of us find it helpful to share our stories, hoping for a compassionate ear or helpful suggestions. So wouldn't it be great if we could all just humbly offer our ideas to each other rather than smugly insisting on them? None of us is omnicient, and last time I checked, God wasn't commenting on these forums.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Since my last post was so long, I ended up editing out the part where I said I cut out ADDed sugar for a period of time. And the absoluteness of it is what helps me. The all or nothing mentality is absolutely necessary for me for a period of time. Will I ever make exceptions? Sure, Christmas day I had an ounce of panettone. I struggled with cravings for a few days afterwards, so not sure it was worth it. Haven't had added sugar since. I also haven't had uncontrollable cravings since.

The all or nothing mentality is saving me, not derailing me. I don't know how long this period of abstinence needs to continue, but I'm not mourning the loss of treats in my life. Not at all. I'm celebrating my freedom from cravings, the likes of which only some have experienced and know anything at all about.

I've never been addicted to alcohol or drugs, so I can't make a comparison. What I do know is that I've been unable to control my cravings for sugar in the past and it has had major impacts on my health, mobility, family relationships, job, friendships and self esteem. It feels like unable, not unwilling. I'm only one person and can speak only for myself. But this struggle between being willing but unable seems to indicate an addiction of sorts. I don't know why that needs to upset anyone but me, my family, friends, employer and doctor.

It certainly shouldn't upset the MFP community. Why would anyone want to shake a finger at someone who's having success in a healthy way? And what would inspire anyone to accuse me of being weak and stupid because my inner wisdom doesn't work for them? Not compassion. Not helpfulness.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It certainly shouldn't upset the MFP community. Why would anyone want to shake a finger at someone who's having success in a healthy way? And what would inspire anyone to accuse me of being weak and stupid because my inner wisdom doesn't work for them? Not compassion. Not helpfulness.

And nobody will be upset if you say "cutting added sugar helped me". People get upset when somebody says "everyone MUST cut added sugar". They're very different statements.

I'm still waiting for the opening post that says the former. It always seems to be the latter until challenged, and then the complaints start.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MuT not be eating healthy
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

We're do you live?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Your weight on the scales does not reflect what you did yesterday. More like what you did 2 weeks ago. Your weight will fluctuate up and down daily and has little to do with what you ate in the last 24 hours. You're drawing conclusions based on faulty data.
  • JayZ1488
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stop over eating