Smoking and running? Help!

Options
So I've been smoking for about a year.. my question is: do I need to first quit smoking or I can do exercise (running, cardio etc.) while still smoking? I know it's stupid since we are all here to change habbits or maintain them as for healthy living. But I am interested.. what is your experience with tabacco and healthy living?

Replies

• kristinajakavonyte
    Options
    Oh! And the reason why I do not quit now, is because I don't want to gain weight... and I know cigarettes help even to lose some.. so..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have seen plenty of people finish a race and light up, so do as you wish...
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke. Then I started working out regularly and the two did not mix well for me. I can barely breathe as a nonsmoker while running...when I smoked it was 10x worse. I felt like hammered shhiit all the time so I quit.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke regularly, especially during the summers. I started noticing that taking the stairs really got me winded and breathing became much harder to do. As I increased my exercise the need to smoke lessened and I eventually quit. There are times when the urge to smoke is strong (times of stress, relaxing with friends, drinking) but I look back on how much life has improved just by getting rid of that habit and having that one cigarette doesn't seem worth it.

You don't have to quit to start exercising but depending on how heavy a smoker you are, you'll notice its effects on you when trying to make it through a workout session. Good luck!
  • runningcowboymike
    Options
    I've been a competitive runner for 30 years and what has always amazed me is a age group competitor who smoked and did quite well.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Anyone can exercise and still smoke. The real question is, if you are working towards your overall health, why wouldn't you quit? There is plenty of scientific proof out there showing how unhealthy smoking is for you. I am an ex smoker turned runner, and I find my workouts to be stronger, my endurance is much higher than it was when I smoked, and I am more motivated to exercise. I didn't gain any weight when I quit smoking. Every time I had a craving, I would take a walk or do a 10 minute ab workout, anything exercise related to replace that craving. This is something you need to want on your own though. Quit, or don't. It's up to you and what your vision for your overall health goals are.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I smoke and am healthy

Oxymoron.

Not a heavy smoker. Healthy balanced diet. Regular exercise. Don't drink, don't take any meds. Regular health checks through work, checking numerous health markers including bloods, and FEV1/FVC

My health is just fine :)

Oh, I believe it. My partner is a heavy smoker with a far greater lung capacity than me, and is in average, fine health.

But that doesn't equate healthy. Just means it hasn't caught up with you yet.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Oh! And the reason why I do not quit now, is because I don't want to gain weight... and I know cigarettes help even to lose some.. so..

Cigarettes don't stimulate weight loss or weight gain. It's the increase in eating from replacing a habit and oral fixation. If you continue to count your calories accurately, keep up with your exercise, and quit smoking, you will not see weight gain.

• bigtiger60
    bigtiger60 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been off cigs now for 7 months having been a smoker for 20 years or so - I moved to vaping - and in that time I've still managed to lose weight. Stopping smoking doesn't put weight on, you look for something to do with your hands as you're not smoking any more so instead of lighting up you raid the fridge.
    You can run and be a smoker, you're body will be able to cope better if you don't smoke though.
    And I know vaping isn't good for you but its less harmful and cheaper than smoking
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, yes, it is possible to smoke and run if that's what you want to do. Quitting would be ideal and may help with the running a bit, but if you aren't running competitively for a title and are not ready to quit yet there is no reason you can't do both.