Smoking and running? Help!

Options

Replies

• jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Some really useful, helpful advice here, but as always some blunt and deliberately rude responses.

No, smoking isn't the healthiest habit but it's one of the most addictive and any positive health change is good. Well done for wanting to make a change and all the best to you in having a lifestyle filled with exercise.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 days into my last cigarette. I was smoking a pack a day. I'm also a runner. I can tell you hands down, that I'm so glad I quit! While you CAN smoke, you're going to be much better off if you quit NOW rather than try to quit later. It was hard for me to be serious about my fitness goals, and still smoke. I felt like a hypocrite.
    Also, I just managed to fit into a pair of pants (WITHOUT the muffin top) that I've never been able to wear before, so it is possible to still lose weight, and quit. If you don't want to quit, don't. Because until you want to, you'll never be able to stick to it. I've made the decision to replace the smoking with running. And you know what? It's working :)
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started running before I quit smoking (I smoked for over 8 years). Quitting smoking, in and of itself, isn't going to make you gain weight. You just have to make sure to keep an eye on your calorie intake and keep exercising rather than reaching for a pack of cigarettes. I quit about a year and a half ago after a few months of starting to get healthier, and still managed to keep losing weight as a result of lifting weights and running.

Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you aren't really ready to quit. When you really want to quit, you make it happen and deal with any side effects (weight gain, moodiness, etc). It's ok; I've known some fit people who smoked. It's a bad habit, it's addictive, it's hard to put down for good. But if you are serious, don't be afraid to get help doing it.

Here are a few tips that helped me finally kick the habit: I was living with my parents, and I put up an old-school calendar in the dining room and marked daily, for everyone to see, each day that I didn't smoke. That accountability really helped. Download the Smoke Free app. The "last cigarette" timer really helped me. I don't check it daily anymore, but it's still a motivation when I feel a craving unexpectedly (Well, I can't smoke a cigarette now; my timer's at over a year and I don't want to have to reset it). I also used nicotine patches. They helped with the physical withdrawal symptoms so that I could mentally focus on breaking the habits of smoking (the cigarette with coffee, while driving, etc).

I hope that some of these words help.
  • RachaelIsLosingIt
    RachaelIsLosingIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Until 3 days a go I had been exercising 5 days a week for 6 months whilst being a smoker. I'm not going to say "You can do both - Go for it!" because there is no way of being a healthy smoker... but I'm also not far enough in to quitting to start preaching to you about how amazing it is to stop.
    At the end of the day (excuse my language here...!) quitting is *kitten* hard. I've tried and failed so many times. I've found that exercising whilst smoking gave me the boost to quit - I'm sure the same thing will happen to you! No matter what you decide, good luck!I'll add you as a friend because I'm going to be giving updates on my quitting progress :) xx
  • RachaelIsLosingIt
    RachaelIsLosingIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Okay it corrected my swear to *kitten* which is pretty cool.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cookma423 wrote: »
    I started running before I quit smoking (I smoked for over 8 years). Quitting smoking, in and of itself, isn't going to make you gain weight. You just have to make sure to keep an eye on your calorie intake and keep exercising rather than reaching for a pack of cigarettes. I quit about a year and a half ago after a few months of starting to get healthier, and still managed to keep losing weight as a result of lifting weights and running.

Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you aren't really ready to quit. When you really want to quit, you make it happen and deal with any side effects (weight gain, moodiness, etc). It's ok; I've known some fit people who smoked. It's a bad habit, it's addictive, it's hard to put down for good. But if you are serious, don't be afraid to get help doing it.

Here are a few tips that helped me finally kick the habit: I was living with my parents, and I put up an old-school calendar in the dining room and marked daily, for everyone to see, each day that I didn't smoke. That accountability really helped. Download the Smoke Free app. The "last cigarette" timer really helped me. I don't check it daily anymore, but it's still a motivation when I feel a craving unexpectedly (Well, I can't smoke a cigarette now; my timer's at over a year and I don't want to have to reset it). I also used nicotine patches. They helped with the physical withdrawal symptoms so that I could mentally focus on breaking the habits of smoking (the cigarette with coffee, while driving, etc).

That's not being rude, that's a fact. You are being real. You can't scare/preach/advise a smoker into quitting any more than you can scare/preach/advise an obese person into losing weight. If they're ever ready to do it they will take the initiative themselves. Trust me, smokers are not ignorant of the potential health repercussions and that it's not the best habit in the world, and I feel some of the past smokers lose touch with what it was like to be a content smoker. I know a couple in real life that are outright vitriolic about it. I only quit when I was ready and it wasn't because of the almost passive aggressive nearly condescending advice, it was because it was no longer worth it to me. In fact it's more annoying to smokers than helpful and is often ignored with an inner "yeah, yeah, heard it a thousand times get it all out and be done with it so we can move on to a different topic".
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would quit...

After I quit, exercising and life in general became easier.

However, don't let people bully you into it. Yes, smoking can cause lung cancer. I watched my 59 year old daddy waste away to nothing in four months time when the day before his diagnosis, he was out-fishing me on the creek bank. At 59, he could outperform most 25 year olds, but the cancer got him. I'm a little biased when it comes to cancer though. Only about 1 in 10 smokers actually develop lung cancer, but smoking can make you more cancer-prone in other areas of your body. For me, it was my cervix. The main risk you run by smoking is developing COPD which cannot be reversed only slowed down. If this happens, then you very well might risk being the 60 year old grandparent lugging around an oxygen tank.

Everyone has their vice. You can definitely exercise as a smoker. It just might be more difficult.

Just do whatever you want. Only you can make the decision to quit or not. My only solid advice for you is to get yearly CT scans done once you hit 35 or 40.
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

That's not being rude, that's a fact. You are being real. You can't scare/preach/advise a smoker into quitting any more than you can scare/preach/advise an obese person into losing weight. If they're ever ready to do it they will take the initiative themselves. Trust me, smokers are not ignorant of the potential health repercussions and that it's not the best habit in the world, and I feel some of the past smokers lose touch with what it was like to be a content smoker. I know a couple in real life that are outright vitriolic about it. I only quit when I was ready and it wasn't because of the almost passive aggressive nearly condescending advice, it was because it was no longer worth it to me. In fact it's more annoying to smokers than helpful and is often ignored with an inner "yeah, yeah, heard it a thousand times get it all out and be done with it so we can move on to a different topic".

haha! That last line... Brought back memories of a stranger who told me to quit one time. Almost verbatim what I told him. I've had some people get upset with an opinion or two I've shared here, so I try to make ensure that I make it clear that I'm only trying to be helpful. I know I tried to quit a fail several times before I finally kicked the habit. For a long time, while smoking and starting to quit, I had the mantra "Smoking sucks, but so does quitting." It's a hard thing; I don't blame or shame smokers. Their life, their choice. They will quit when the time is right for them, and hopefully they do before it's too late.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit. I smoked for 20 years and it was very hard to quit. I'm really glad I did, though.

The longer you smoke, the more you increase your chances of having lung cancer down the line, even after quitting.

My mother died of metastasized lung cancer, even after having quit 15 years prior to her cancer forming. The damage had been done.

Saying that, you can still run and smoke.

Smoking doesn't keep your weight down, even though it might suppress your appetite. You can find other ways to suppress your appetite. If you're aware that quitting might give you the urge to put something else in your mouth (food), you can counter that urge with non-caloric options like sugar-free gum and diet soda.

When I quit, I didn't put on any weight, which was shocking because I was a big eater at the time. I was watching for it to happen though, and developed a diet soda habit instead.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for about 10 years and succeeded after my third attempt. I needed a stable moment in my life when everything was just right. I went cold turkey.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I smoke and am healthy

Oxymoron.

Not a heavy smoker. Healthy balanced diet. Regular exercise. Don't drink, don't take any meds. Regular health checks through work, checking numerous health markers including bloods, and FEV1/FVC

My health is just fine :)

Oh, I believe it. My partner is a heavy smoker with a far greater lung capacity than me, and is in average, fine health.

But that doesn't equate healthy. Just means it hasn't caught up with you yet.

I'm in good health as per the regular checks i have :)

You are one person out of millions. It is unwise to believe that just because your numbers at your check ups show as healthy, that this is generally true for most smokers. Not only that, but I don't know a single physician out there that would say "Yep, your numbers are great, keep on smoking!" Quitting is hard, REALLY hard, and it sounds like you enjoy smoking, which is your choice. However, telling someone that your numbers on paper look good, so they are fine to continue smoking is not good. You have been lucky to not have a lowered immune system becusause of smoking. This doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. I wa on the opposite end of that. My numbers showed fine one day, then 2 weeks later my right lung collapsed. It was a huge wake up call.

Where did I say 'keep on smoking' ?

I was talking about myself

You have continued to smoke, am I correct in reading your first comment? I know you are speaking about yourself, but your experience with smoking and still having good health is rare. It happens for some people, but in general, this is not common. If you or the OP were to go to a doctor and have your numbers checked, and everything was great, the doctor would still advise against smoking. The OP doesn't seem ready to quit, which is her choice. I wasn't ready until my lung collapsed. I have been down the road of making excuses to continue smoking, and a comment like yours was exactly what I would use. In my mind I would tell myself, "well, that guys says he's healthy, so I'll just do my thing".
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I smoke and am healthy

Oxymoron.

Not a heavy smoker. Healthy balanced diet. Regular exercise. Don't drink, don't take any meds. Regular health checks through work, checking numerous health markers including bloods, and FEV1/FVC

My health is just fine :)

Oh, I believe it. My partner is a heavy smoker with a far greater lung capacity than me, and is in average, fine health.

But that doesn't equate healthy. Just means it hasn't caught up with you yet.

I'm in good health as per the regular checks i have :)

You are one person out of millions. It is unwise to believe that just because your numbers at your check ups show as healthy, that this is generally true for most smokers. Not only that, but I don't know a single physician out there that would say "Yep, your numbers are great, keep on smoking!" Quitting is hard, REALLY hard, and it sounds like you enjoy smoking, which is your choice. However, telling someone that your numbers on paper look good, so they are fine to continue smoking is not good. You have been lucky to not have a lowered immune system becusause of smoking. This doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. I wa on the opposite end of that. My numbers showed fine one day, then 2 weeks later my right lung collapsed. It was a huge wake up call.

Where did I say 'keep on smoking' ?

I was talking about myself

You have continued to smoke, am I correct in reading your first comment? I know you are speaking about yourself, but your experience with smoking and still having good health is rare. It happens for some people, but in general, this is not common. If you or the OP were to go to a doctor and have your numbers checked, and everything was great, the doctor would still advise against smoking. The OP doesn't seem ready to quit, which is her choice. I wasn't ready until my lung collapsed. I have been down the road of making excuses to continue smoking, and a comment like yours was exactly what I would use. In my mind I would tell myself, "well, that guys says he's healthy, so I'll just do my thing".

I think you are reading too much into what i said.

What i said was, i smoke (not heavy) and all my health markers come back just fine. Nowhere did i suggest the OP should continue to smoke

The nurse who did my last health check was surprised at my FEV1/FVC results given that i smoke. But, i havent anywhere, nor do i, suggest that OP (or anyone else) uses me as a reason to continue to smoke

Let's not make this thread all about me :)

But you're narcissistic, so it should be about you ;):p (kidding!!!) Perhaps I did read too much into it, but I have been in the OP's shoes, and I know I would have latched onto what you said. After going through what I went through, it was scary and painful, and all of that comes flooding back when I remember all of the excuses I would make. I know people shouldn't use other people's positive smoking experiences as a reason to continue smoking, but it happens.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you aren't really ready to quit. When you really want to quit, you make it happen and deal with any side effects (weight gain, moodiness, etc).

Completely true.

I talked about not smoking for years 'by THIS time' or 'by THAT milestone'. But I didn't want to.

You have to want it, and then you'll find you can.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you're seriously thinking about quitting, then do it now. As a bonus, perhaps the new exercise habits you want to establish can be a tool to help you (want to smoke? go for a run/walk). Think how much better you could feel - lose weight, quit smoking, and picked up some exercise? Quite the trifecta.