Smoking and running? Help!

Options
13»

Replies

• RachaelIsLosingIt
    RachaelIsLosingIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh! And the reason why I do not quit now, is because I don't want to gain weight... and I know cigarettes help even to lose some.. so..

Yeah when you get cancer it'll definitely help you lose :laugh:

As a person who has lost family to cancer and seen the pain it causes, I find this comment deeply upsetting. I hope you never have to go through it. Unbelievable.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    If you're seriously thinking about quitting, then do it now. As a bonus, perhaps the new exercise habits you want to establish can be a tool to help you (want to smoke? go for a run/walk). Think how much better you could feel - lose weight, quit smoking, and picked up some exercise? Quite the trifecta.

This is how i did it.

Before, i wanted to be slim. I kept on smoking, and kinda did some small diet changes, but nothing much really.

When I wanted to get fit, that's when it all changed. I didn't (and don't) want to be a certain size, I want to do and achieve certain things. To do that i need to be fitter and stronger. To do that, I need to be healthier, drink less and stop smoking.

It also helps that having that focus - nutrition and exercise - is replacing your spare time when not smoking!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    There is a lot to troll on this thread, a fair amount to of sarcastic comments I could make but no. Here's some words from a 27 year old who started smoking at 14 and has "quit" and re started many many times.

Each time I quit (longer than 2 months or so) I feel the benefits. I realise I don't get sick. No colds. No cough. I don't get anywhere near as stressed. I can exercise better. I smell better. I taste things more. Generally it's SO much better.

Whilst I'm smoking, i don't notice the change. I don't notice all those positives doing a U-turn. I "think" I feel great, it's not in till I quit that I realise the damage is was doing. (I'm currently quitting, have not smoked since new years as trying for baby). Also, obviously it's cheaper.

Now what I would take from my brief words are this. LOOK HOW LONG I'VE BEEN SMOKING AND TRYING TO QUIT! Please get out when you can, it's really hard once it's in your life for years. Also you won't feel the damage or limitations right now. Once you stop you WILL feel the difference though.

Good luck xxx
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! You've only been smoking for a year! Stop now! It's not cool, it's not fun, it's certainly not sexy and it *kitten* reeks!

It's hysterical that a pp said their health markers come back fine!! Yeah, now! What about in two years, 5, 30? They won't then. Look, you can't effectively be healthy and smoke. Stop before it becomes too difficult to quit.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    It's one of the hardest addictions to kick. A good thing to try if you haven't could be vaping as it has been proven to be 90% safer than cigs(not saying its healthy btw). It worked for me and if you have more questions about it feel free to msg me.

Now onto smoking there are actually benefits to running or doing cardiovascular activity while your smoker. Use some googlefu should be some research on it.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's one of the hardest addictions to kick. A good thing to try if you haven't could be vaping as it has been proven to be 90% safer than cigs(not saying its healthy btw). It worked for me and if you have more questions about it feel free to msg me.

Now onto smoking there are actually benefits to running or doing cardiovascular activity while your smoker. Use some googlefu should be some research on it.

I second this. I was a smoker for about 5 years and lost about 65 lbs while I was a smoker. I did cardio, ran intervals/sprints, and lifted weights and lost all that weight while smoking. I tried all kinds of things to quit smoking (because I wanted to be healthier not just lose weight) and then I tried vaping and it worked for me. I started vaping and quit smoking in November 2015 and although I am still vaping (at a very low nicotine level), I do plan to quit that soon as well but it really has helped me a lot. Although I could do cardio/run/HITT while smoking, it is a lot easier now. I can work out harder and longer and my lungs do not burn.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Been Vaping for 8 years. Can now run with no problems.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Oh! And the reason why I do not quit now, is because I don't want to gain weight... and I know cigarettes help even to lose some.. so..

This is a silly argument, your replacing a very dangerous habit with the potential for weight gain.

Think about how much more you can run If you didn't smoke?
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    djwar9858 wrote: »
    Been Vaping for 8 years. Can now run with no problems.
    Sure. Vaping sof also disgusting, not cool, not sexy. And it's still not good for you.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you want the weight loss benefits of nicotine just use gum or patches. It won't help with the addiction but at least you won't be destroying your health so badly.

Just a compromise solution until you figure out how to kick your addiction.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    There are so many more reasons to quit, and yes, the sooner the better. If your worried about weight gain now, what do you think your metabolism will be like in 10 or 20 years?!?

I'm an ex smoker and wish I quit long before I did. I definitely feel like it aged my skin.

I used the patch when I quit and actually lost weight when I did quit. Having a kid and not eating healthy afterwards is what caused me to gain weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I seem to recall reading somewhere that to equal the harm to your health caused by smoking you'd have to put on about 45kg so that's a pretty flimsy excuse especially if you've only been smoking for a year.

I quit about 25 years ago after my mother (a life long smoker) died of lung cancer. My father quit years before that as his doctor told he could quit or he could die (heart disease related).

Having said that I've had soccer teammates who light up at half time (and get kicked off the bench to take their filthy habit elsewhere) and i know runners who smoke. I'd be inclined to suggest that regular exercise will help mitigate some of the damage caused by smoking (again, having smoked for only a year I doubt you've done irreparable harm yet) but I would urge you to quit for your own sake. If you're not ready to quit yet don't let that stop you from engaging on other healthy habits.
  • greeder1
    greeder1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Berating someone who smokes is pretty much a surefire way to make sure they don't quit. Ask yourself how much people berating you about your weight made you make long term changes. It may work for a few weeks, but it doesn't make a person want to change for their own benefit. Having smoked many years and been smoke free for more than a year now, the things that really helped me quit were:
    1) Wellbutrin.
    2) Meditation and restoritive yoga (because when you smoke, that's the only time you really take deep breaths. The yoga helped me like breathing again).
    3) The doctor calling me and telling me my biopsy came back and I have cancer (probably not caused by smoking - but I am sure it didn't help any).
    I hope you find the way to quit before #3 because looking back on it now from a healthier place, it kinda sucked!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Halftime of Super Bowl I Lenny Dawson(Chiefs QB) had a smoke during the intermission.

As a former smoker, quit now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a former long time smoker...I actually quit smoking cigarettes about the same time I started all of this other good livin' stuff. I smoked for about 20 years and was up to 2-3 PAD. I had a lot of health concerns at the time that were attributable to my smoking and also my diet and lack of exercise.

I had a friend who was in the same boat and I went over to see him one afternoon to have a couple beers...I popped my top and lit up and was surprised to see that he didn't fire one up with me...turns out he had been quit for over a month using a vaporizer. I figured if his chain smoking *kitten* could do it, so could I and I ordered my vaporizer.

I quit cigarettes in September 2012...I slowly reduced the nicotine in my e-juice and ultimately quit vaping about 9 months later. Unfortunately, I back slid a bit this past fall...lots of stress at work and home...injury preventing me from doing my fitness stuff...too much idle time on my hands, etc and started to slip back into smoking again...I nipped it in the bud and went out and bought another vaporizer. I'm slowly working my way back down nicotine wise...it's a *kitten*, you haven't been at it long so I'd suggest to quit while it's still relatively easy.

As far as putting on weight goes, that's largely due to people's oral fixation and resorting to people putting food in their mouth rather than a cig...I lost weight at the same time I quit smoking.