Tonight I had the dumbest conversation with target staff

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Lthey are supposed to be frozen but this store sells them in the open refrigerated section next to dairy isle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Something being past its Sell By date doesn't mean it has gone bad.

This is true, but it does mean it should not be sold. And she was at a store, right?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Alternative facts. Lol
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This could happen anywhere with any clerk. They are not nutritional or dietary geniuses. A lot of people out there have no idea. Sad but true. You would be wise to call the 1-800- customer service number to report this. They are obviously not following the FIFO rule when stocking shelves.

They all should be aware of what the dates mean. Management especially. Best by, sell by and expires by are different terms with different meanings. Training here has likely fallen through the cracks. This could be dangerous if someone eats something that has expired. Most of us know to check the dates, but unfortunately some people never think to check.

The number to call is: 1-800-440-0680.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Contact Target headquarters. They'd probably love to know one of their stores is selling food expired for a year and employees laughing it off when a customer brings it to their attention.

I agree. That's insane. Trying to push expired food and lying to customers either out of ignorance or greed. It's worse than just an Udi's problem.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    This wasn't what the post was about but please tell me you have a gluten allergy... So sick of people eating gluten free that don't have a health issue with it. GF bread is NOT better for you than regular bread. Save your money people! By the way, my wife has a gluten allergy so I'm not just saying this... I have literally seen people say "oh, I only eat gluten free" and when you say "so what IS gluten?" they have no clue! Just jumped on some bandwagon! So ignorant.

I'm pretty sure the OP does have a gluten allergy

Anyway, Elphie that's awful. I work at a superstore and last month my store director was talking about a complaint he got about something past the sell by date, and he discussed the different types of dates found. Our grocery (plus my department, as we handle baby food) tries to mark down anything that is near the date, no matter whether it's sell by or use by. Obviously some things get missed, but not by almost a year.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hahaha...wait, you're serious?

I thought they were joking as well, but nope-they were serious.

I don't think I could have helped myself. But I'm an argue-er.

If it doesn't expire, why does it have an expiration date??

That would have driven me nuts!!

I said that to her, but she had that look like no matter how many times I explained in she would never get it, So I gave up.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    @elphie754 I posted their corporate customer service number in my first comment. Not sure if you saw it or not. You may want to call and report this store so they can (hopefully) take care of their expired goods problem.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lol, if that were true, then why an expiration date? People are dumb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png