Fell off the wagon..how to stop being mad

Options
So I fell off the wagon for like the last week and am depressed about it which is making it harder to get back on. I normally don't do this so I don't feel like myself! How do you pick yourself up and just forget about it? I have a hard time with that

Replies

• Morty90210
    Morty90210 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also how do you keep yourself from falling off ...add a weekly treat??
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have found no magic cure. I feel better though if I know it wasn't enough of a fall for the week to gain. I have my stats set to lose 1 lb a week. For me that is 1730cal a day. But I also know what it would be if set to lose .5lbs a week and just to maintain. If I am under my maintenance calories I feel better. So I average out the week rather than the day.

I start my week on Sunday and end on Saturday.

Sunday I ate 1600 calories.. Good day.
    Monday I had 2800 calories! OUCH! WAY over maintenance!
    Yesterday I had 2300 calories! It's way over my 1730 a day I wanted but it's 100 under maintenance so still a win.

Between the three days so far I am at 2233 a day on average. Today I will try to lower that average further. But so far I am 167 a day UNDER maintenance. For me this isn't a loss. It isn't a major victory but I haven't lost the fight. I'm barely ahead on the winning end.

Next week, I try to beat that, even if it's only by a calorie or two. That's how I don't give up. I look at a bigger picture.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Picking up and getting on with it basically comes down to making a decision, you can keep messing up, or dwell on a slip and let it get you down or you can get up in the morning and say today will be different, it just has to be a choice you make.

As for how to keep yourself from falling, I'll let you know when I figure it out...

Don't worry too much about the occasional slip, if you are on the right track 90% of the time then you will lose weight albeit slightly slower than planned.

Some people make the decision to follow their calories religiously and manage it from start to finish, for others it's a constant fight with that part of us that wants to eat more than our calorie allowance permits. For me I manage a good stretch, including daily treats, but eventually I want something I just don't have the budget for and pretty soon I crack, it sets me back, it's disappointing, but ultimately I get back at it, it's a bump in the road rather than a total derailment, and yes if I was perfect I'd be a lot closer to goal right now, or I might have gone mad and stopped completely, and I know which is more likely, so I have to be happy with slow progress!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You're human. We make mistakes. Close that door and look forward. You're worth it to be working hard to be the best you. Go to success stories on my fitness pal and you'll quickly jump back on the bandwagon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Morty90210 wrote: »

This is the important question IMO. Why did you fall off the wagon? Were you so restrictive with your diet that you simply couldn't take not having your favorite foods and went crazy with them? Is your calorie deficit too high and you are eating so little that hunger drove you to it? Do you have PMS?

Recognizing the cause is the first step to correcting the problem.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We are all going to have days where we "go over," both now and when we are at maintenance. Life happens! Just log it and refocus.

Many of us ended up on this journey after letting these days happen with little-to-no thought regarding the consequences. The key is to make these types of days the exception, and not the rule.
  • kellansmommy11
    kellansmommy11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not every day is perfect. There are days that I have a little treats, but I work it into my calories. Last night I had a Girl Scout cookie, but I just had one instead of the whole box which made me feel better. The key is not to deny yourself things, but have the right amount of things. No food is off-limits, just be smart about the portion size. And don't beat yourself up, even if you go crazy. We all do.. this is a process and it something we can learn from. Never give up, though! One bad day does not mean that it's all over.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have a wagon. I eat food I like all day every day. It is just smaller portions and more planning than I used to do.
    If I eat too many calories one day/week I just go back to eating normally the next. I'm not trying to win perfect dieter award or meet some deadline. My life now is eating fewer calories than I used to... walking more, sitting less.

Are you setting yourself up by trying to do something that isn't very sustainable for you and your lifestyle?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    1. I have a little chocolate every day.
    2. I don't have an aggressive weekly weight loss goal.
    3. I now seek happy hormones from exercise rather than food.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So I fell off the wagon for like the last week and am depressed about it which is making it harder to get back on. I normally don't do this so I don't feel like myself! How do you pick yourself up and just forget about it? I have a hard time with that

As do I. I don't know if I ever just "get over being mad" at myself. I just have to make myself get back to it. I think each I screw up, the more determined I get. :|
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Guilt, anger and depression exist for a reason. There are there to guide your actions. The problem is they don't stay around long enough for you to make a difference, ie cement a new habit. They are all forgotten when you are faced with the pleasure of eating.

If everybody could truly recall their worst feelings when food is placed in front of them, no diet plan, effort, etc would be necessary.

Anyway we all have different strategies. Mine is simple. I spend all my effort in controlling my appetite. That effort is much less than dealing with emotions, counting things, watching out for anything.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I envy those like Girl Scout cookie girl who thinks the whole "the trick is not denying yourself, just limit those foods" works on everyone. I tried that route but for me it's the number one culprit of my weight problems. I TRY to stop but once I have ONE of what I crave, the rest soon follow. Take just an hour ago. My daughter didn't think to have breakfast this morning so the little cry baby moaned about being sick to her stomach. We won't be home for awhile so I got her some chicken nuggets. I told myself "I will just have 2.." PFFT! Try 6 and I would have had more had she not eaten the rest!

Once I taste it, that's it. I can handle seeing others eat, but I can't handle if there is enough for me to have some as well, cause I WILL eat.. I take it to the binging levels. The ONLY thing that works for me is strict restrictions. Even when I was a perfect 128, I would over eat anything there wasn't an enforced limit too.

So while it works fine for some to not have to deny themselves, it doesn't work for everyone.

Think "Vampire Diaries".. I'm Stephan. Cookie girl is Damon.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Reaverie, you're not alone. I and lots of others are like that. Pass a certain point of closeness to food, it becomes impossible to stop ourselves. I can well stop my eating 10s of minutes before the food reaches my lips. It becomes much much harder when the food gets on the plate in front of me. Then, it is impossible to stop myself (spitting out the food?) when I start chewing!!!

The point I want to make here is we need to identify the point of closeness where it becomes a danger and take care of it before it's too late. For you, don't start eating the first cookie (if you need to skip getting more calories).
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I've had a profound change in the way I think about wt loss and food. At my heaviest, I would set up strict diet/activity plans for myself only to have them fail. (Of course!) Then I would let the guilt and self deprecation take over. "You might as well not even try. You're fat and you'll always be fat." I don't think like that anymore. If I have one high calorie day... big deal. I'll be back to my usual routine the next day. In fact, today I took my son out to lunch at Pizza Hut. That wasn't in my intended meal plan today, but so what! Tomorrow is a new day.
    You need to accept that you will never have a 100% success rate at anything you do. Chin up :)