Nutrisystem

Options

Replies

• quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have never tried NS however, now that you have me thinking about it, what are the preservatives to keep it from going bad? I hope not salt.
  • mbag437
    mbag437 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started on NS last March. My original reason was to get myself to eat regular meals. I'm not a real foodie, I don't like to cook at all and I just wanted to be told what to eat. It definitely gets you to appreciate portion control but also doesn't starve you. I stayed on NS for 3 shipments. I lost 20 pounds and considered myself in maintenance when I joined MFP. With CICO and all of the great information on these forums I lost an additional 15 pounds. I weigh less than I have my entire adult life. I am female, 58, 5'6" 125 pounds. I started at 160. I have to credit both NS and MFP for my success. I don't know that MFP would have worked for me without the jumpstart I got from NS. I have to agree that NS is not a long term weight management program but it does have its usefulness for some people, like me.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I have never tried NS however, now that you have me thinking about it, what are the preservatives to keep it from going bad? I hope not salt.

You can't use salt as a preservative in a prepared meal like that without adding so much it would make it inedible. Even things like bacon, before refrigeration, were often so salty they needed to be soaked before cooking.

Chemical preservatives just aren't practical for a prepared meal - I'm guessing they're either refrigerated or frozen. The only other way to preserve them would be by sterilisation and air-exclusion, in a can or pouch.

Chemical preservatives exist, but their use is massively overstated and they can't do half the things people believe they can. They mainly slow down staling in dryish things like bread, or preserve colour in things with long shelf lives. They can't combat actual microbial deterioration in cooked food. They're not magic. Even the traditional ones like salt and sugar only work in concentrations so high they completely change the nature of the food (jam =/= strawberries).
  • HUNIBUN2022
    HUNIBUN2022 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    priestp1 wrote: »
    I see that your are on the road. I know how hard it can be on the road / preparing meals. One thing to consider is the purchase of Ninja 4-1 (Walmart). I know many truckers use it with slow cooker liners for cooking. This just gives you options. There is a group with a good bunch of recipes on Facebook - Ninja 3 -1 Recipes. https://www.facebook.com/groups/403206896465253/

As far as NutriSystem. I know folks that were on it and left because of quality / cost. I know we all have to do what we need to to be better / healthier with our time demands. Being OTR all the time, it is hard. Good Luck in what you do :)

Yes I have a pressure cooker that is a cockpot and steamer in one, yes it's not easy being OTR
    I have to say in the last 2 weeks I have lost 3 lbs
    Thank you for understanding and knowing
    how difficult it is being on the road

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I see that your are on the road. I know how hard it can be on the road / preparing meals. One thing to consider is the purchase of Ninja 4-1 (Walmart). I know many truckers use it with slow cooker liners for cooking. This just gives you options. There is a group with a good bunch of recipes on Facebook - Ninja 3 -1 Recipes. https://www.facebook.com/groups/403206896465253/

As far as NutriSystem. I know folks that were on it and left because of quality / cost. I know we all have to do what we need to to be better / healthier with our time demands. Being OTR all the time, it is hard. Good Luck in what you do :)

Yes I have a pressure cooker that is a cockpot and steamer in one, yes it's not easy being OTR

Can you use the crock pot/multicooker thing while driving? That's a pretty cool setup if so! I know nothing about Nutrsystem, my main question would be "how filling are they?", as that is where a lot of ready meals fall down. If they are filling and you enjoy them (and can afford them) then why not?

Personally I'd be using the multicooker all the time, but I'm a slow cooker devotee.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    My opinion? It's probably cheaper to just buy frozen dinners at Safeway. Heck I eat frozen dinners often for lunch because it's just me. And for only 4.5 minutes waiting, that means more time to do other things and less clean up. I get the Eating Right ones 3 for $5. Each meal is a just under 300 calories. I mix that in with a salad and I'm done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HUNIBUN2022
    HUNIBUN2022 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Can you use the crock pot/multicooker thing while driving? That's a pretty cool setup if so! I know nothing about Nutrsystem, my main question would be "how filling are they?", as that is where a lot of ready meals fall down. If they are filling and you enjoy them (and can afford them) then why not?

Personally I'd be using the multicooker all the time, but I'm a slow cooker devotee.

No I can't use it going down the road I have to wait till we are done, and sometimes it's late. The meals I try are good and very fulling. I eat lots veggies
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was super sensitive to the preservatives in these foods. I got a starter kit at Walmart right after New Years. One week in I stopped due to multiple migraine headaches.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that those packaged dinners are absolutely loaded with salt. I cut them out as they were starting to affect my blood pressure. Anyway, if they work for you then enjoy, but it's important to remember the salt and preservative content in them.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Most all packaged /processed foods are full of sodium. NS is abt 25% and the frozen abt 20% on their dinners. They work for me and my BP has actually come down, guess I was eating a lot of sodium anyway and the extra weight was affecting me more. The average cost per meal is $3.68 including snack. I'm down almost 60 lbs now since Sept.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Okay well I hope you all doing the packages expensive dinners can afford them for the rest of your life because by not learning anything other then opening a box because you have relied on a company to take all the guess work out of it for you if you ever can't afford it you will have no experience in order to maintain your losses. Frozen dinners at the grocery store would at least be cheaper if you really don't wanna cook anything... most people using them tho still at least cook a little and they still gradually learn skills

Snarky.....

Agree, way snarky.

OP: I tried NS meals years ago - I didn't like them. Maybe they're better now??? I do use a lot of convenience foods however, and I get they can be very helpful to stay within your calorie goal. If I were in your situation on the road often I would use grocery store bought frozen foods, subway, even convenience stores carry a huge variety you could work into your diet. Just a thought. Wish you all the best.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bchlvr64 wrote: »
    Okay well I hope you all doing the packages expensive dinners can afford them for the rest of your life because by not learning anything other then opening a box because you have relied on a company to take all the guess work out of it for you if you ever can't afford it you will have no experience in order to maintain your losses. Frozen dinners at the grocery store would at least be cheaper if you really don't wanna cook anything... most people using them tho still at least cook a little and they still gradually learn skills

Snarky.....

Agree, way snarky.

OP: I tried NS meals years ago - I didn't like them. Maybe they're better now??? I do use a lot of convenience foods however, and I get they can be very helpful to stay within your calorie goal. If I were in your situation on the road often I would use grocery store bought frozen foods, subway, even convenience stores carry a huge variety you could work into your diet. Just a thought. Wish you all the best.

Nutrisystem has improved a lot. Regarding the salt contend in a previous post, they are within the recommended daily allowance.
  • Birdie1952
    Options
    All I have made my food diary public if anyone would be interested in seeing how I incorporate Nutrisystem into my daily meals. I started on NS on Feb 4th.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    It's good if you don't feel like weighting your foods, plan your meals and want someone else to do everything for you, which is why it cost expensive.

This is simply untrue. You still have to weigh proteins and other foods. If it was as simple as buying NS food and the weight just fell off why wouldn't everyone do it. The plan is simple but not necessarily easy. They by no means, do everything for you. I have been on NS for two years and i have lost 180lbs. I do not eat it strictly now, but I still get the food and I do like the convenience of their meals. No matter what plan you are on you to be committed to what you are doing.
  • Myaaka
    Myaaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OP, I have been looking into NS myself and will probably try it out for April and May. I've just lost my baby weight (90 lbs gained during first pregnancy because I traveled for 6 months for work) and now just have about 40 more lbs to go until I hit my goal weight. I'm hoping that NS will help with at least 20 of those lbs. I'm mostly using them because I need a little variety haha! Been eating chicken and veggies and Greek yogurt for months now and I'm bored! Been stuck at 175 for over a month and look forward to trying NS. Good luck on your journey and hopefully I'll get to hear of your success soon!
    Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Birdie1952
    Options
    Birdie1952 wrote: »
    All I have made my food diary public if anyone would be interested in seeing how I incorporate Nutrisystem into my daily meals. I started on NS on Feb 4th.

Three weeks in to Nutrisystem and am down 9 pounds.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I know as people get older, who have cooked regularly all their life and now single, it's easier to pull out a frozen meal. There are several brands and they are not all sodium and fat. My oldest sister does this, she is not doing this for weightloss, but convenience. She will cook on occassion, but mainly frozen meals. She likes the breakfast meals too. She buys them on sale always. However she has lost weight over past few years, but because of her theory on food now, it's only food. My point to each their own. I still cook regularly, but if in a hurry I will pull out a healthy frozen meal for lunch on occassion.