How to reduce/avoid movie theater snacking?

12346»

Replies

• Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    I alwasy treat myself at the cinema with mini treats that make me feel like im eating a lot- I pop my own popcorn, take mini bags of haribos, have a treat size chocolate bar and a mini marshmallow flump- all totalling about 200 cals but Id be munching away for the whole movie
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm curious about the butter thing, how does that work? In the UK you ask for sweet or salty and that's it. Added butter? I don't know what that is! Enlighten me oh over the pond friends.

Here, movie theaters have vats of butter-flavoured oil-type substance, that they normally pump onto the top of the popcorn.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Think of your goals and ask yourself if it's worth it. That's it really.
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Three options. Work in into your intake so it doesn't put you over your budget with either exercise or by subtracting other food on the specific day. If that's not for you then try not to eat anything while you're there or of course the third option is to just not go to the movies.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    A multipack of individual bags of popcorn from the pound shop. It's far easier to stop eating when it's portioned out, and being pound shop bags, the portions are pretty small. So I still get my popcorn, just not a bucket of it bigger than my head.

It doesn't seem to be an issue here in the UK to bring snacks into the movies from outside, I've never seen anyone have a problem and there are no signs. I still keep it subtle, though.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Eating popcorn and chocolate is a ritual for me. I'm there on average about once a month and I usually bring a bottle of water and share a large bag with butter and and a bag of candy. I add it into my calories as best as I can figure and usually skip lunch and dinner just to fit in the popcorn although I often end up with a late snack if it was a matinee, or an early snack if it's night time movie.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Eating popcorn and chocolate is a ritual for me. I'm there on average about once a month and I usually bring a bottle of water and share a large bag with butter and and a bag of candy. I add it into my calories as best as I can figure and usually skip lunch and dinner just to fit in the popcorn although I often end up with a late snack if it was a matinee, or an early snack if it's night time movie.

This is what successful people do
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you don't bring anything into the theater and you don't buy anything while you're there, it's really easy to avoid overeating. I'm usually too busy watching the movie to care about snacks. It's harder at home because you can pause, or there are commercials, and you have easy access to snacks.

I've never been one to eat in theaters - the crap they sell is pretty unappealing, plus waiting in concession lines and paying 5 times the normal price for food is extremely off-putting. Paying for the tickets is bad enough. When I was a kid, we only went to the movies to see a movie, not eat, then we might go out for lunch or dinner afterwards. There was no association with going to the theater to eat a bunch of crap. Probably people who were raised with the full theater snacking experience don't feel like they are getting the real deal if they don't consume a bunch of junk when they go to the movies...

I get that overeating at the movies must be a problem, because I see most people with these huge troughs of butter-saturated popcorn, over-sized boxes of candy and giant sodas all over the place. Then there's that guy who sneaks a tuna sandwich in. We're all trapped in with that stink. Thanks a lot. Sometimes the sound of other people opening wrappers, stuffing their faces, crunching, slurping and chewing can be distracting if it's really crowded. It sounds like feeding time at the farm. :p But that's just my perception. Who cares what I think? You do you, right?

As far as "dealing with overeating" goes, I think that if movie theater food is a treat for you, you should still eat it. Just plan ahead for it. Exercise to earn more calories and/or make sure it fits your goal. Then enjoy!

ETA: Craziest thing I've ever snuck in - cold pizza. (Not that crazy.) I usually would sneak in a box of candy to share with my husband.