Why do I have HUGE hips?

Replies

• vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    I've always had wide hips too! Mine got even wider having a kid! Since no one is built the same, I have learned to just embrace my hips and move on!
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    i feel your pain...my hips are huge compared to my waist. my thighs are even bigger making it hard to find pants that fit well. if they fit in the hips they dont fit in the thighs usually.
  • Body fat% makes a huge difference in how big you actually are, size wise. I was skinny fat when I was younger, and wore a size 5 at 105 lbs. But I also wore that when I was 120 lbs. I wish i still looked like that, i guess thats why I'm here, sigh.

I got the genetically gifted big hips too, always fighting them.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?

Not suggesting that big hips are a bad thing, but have you ever looked into the research on Gynecoid/Gynoid body types? There really is such thing as "child birthing hips" and certain diets may be required for those body shapes to lose weight. I to have large hips and currently take a vitamin supplement called DIM because large hips are a sign of estrogen dominance.

On a positive note, women who carry their weight on their hips are less prone to diabetes and heart disease:

Android – Apple shape ( abdominal or central, males)

Collection of fat mostly in the abdomen (above the waist)
    Apple-shaped
    Associated with insulin resistance and heart disease

Gynoid – Pear shape (below the waist, females):

Collection of fat on hips and buttocks
    pear-shaped
    Associated with mechanical problems
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    From an article I just read:

On women, body fat seems to be healthier and less problematic. The characteristically female lower body “gluteofemoral fat” is actually a strong sign of metabolic health, whereas abdominal fat is not. In men, high body fat levels correlate strongly with insulin resistance, while this relationship is much weaker in women (probably because of their lower tendency to store visceral fat).

Women burn fat differently than men. Upper body fat goes first, while lower body fat tends to stay put. Except during pregnancy and lactation, when the lower body begins to give up lower fat stores far more readily. Interestingly (and not by coincidence), women tend to preferentially store the long chain omega-3 fatty acid DHA – the one that’s so important to the baby’s development during and pregnancy – in their thighs.

Large bottom/hips/thighs are pretty normal in most women it seems...and well I personally think it's much more attractive than no butt, stick legs and bony hips!

Does this maybe explain the hCG diet?
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    hips are sexy!!!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,782 Member
    im the same, some people are just born that way, I will never where smaller then an 11, I and 5'7" starting weight 172, size 13 jeans, now im 148 and wear 13 still
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,782 Member
    same here, I can wear Walmarts LEI's and thats it, I have tried every brand under the friggin sun, and those are all that fit
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    No one should ever define themselves by their size. Same goes for the number on the scale.

Buy what fits and flatters, regardless of what the tag says.

I can wear anywhere from a size 2 to a 10, depending on the cut. It's not like I'm suddenly any bigger because a garment is cut smaller. Heck, last time I bought jeans, I took in size 3, 5, 7 and 9... and they all fit the same.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?

Well currently, yes I do have some extra fat there, right now am a size 13 juniors, but when I was 125 I was still a size 11 and that doesn't make sense to me being that my sister is the same exact height at 125 is a size 5.
    Well, if you have extra fat there, like it's the last fat to go, then just keep going!
    I will also suggest a deep tissue lymphatic massage in those areas, if you think you may be clogged up in those areas.
    I say that because after having my last child, I was really clogged up. So that was something I had to work on.
    Just keep at it, and don't get discouraged!
    Your body is loving all the great things you are doing for it!
  • Hips are a great thing to have... a very womanly feature :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    No one should ever define themselves by their size. Same goes for the number on the scale.

Buy what fits and flatters, regardless of what the tag says.

I can wear anywhere from a size 2 to a 10, depending on the cut. It's not like I'm suddenly any bigger because a garment is cut smaller. Heck, last time I bought jeans, I took in size 3, 5, 7 and 9... and they all fit the same.
    ^This. I have a gigantic *kitten* and a small waist (13 inches in difference). There is no changing it no matter how hard I work on it. If I did I have a feeling the top half of me would wither away to nothing and a 28 band bra is already impossible to find in a DD. Not that I think I need a huge change. If you look at my profile pic I don't think I look terrible, I'm more irritated with the clothes industry. I don't mind having hips and a butt but it sure would be nice to find a pair of pants that's flattering. Buying clothes is a pain and like the above I wear a size 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 27, 29. Even when I gained weight I don't think I jumped above a 29 just because of where I gained weight. I lost weight and it all left my waist but my *kitten* stayed the same so I couldn't get smaller. And since there's a huge difference between waist and hips some of the smaller pants hang off on the back and some of the bigger ones cut into my waist and hang off at the back :happy:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Unfortunately it is genetics. I'm 5'10.5" and got down to 167 last year (goal is 154). I was a little demotivated to continue because my lower body still needed to lose those pounds but my collarbones were starting to freak me out. I decided to give it another go, because I'm hoping my upper body won't get any skinnier than that and I'll lose the last 13 on my hips, butt, and thighs, but genetically I carry weight lower.

yeah, pretty much this.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Think of them as handles to steer the love machine.

EDIT: Srs though, hips = good.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Embrace them! They are a wonderful asset. Guys like them!!!
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Hips are great to hang on to when hitting it from the back in the shower.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Get yourself some nice fitted pencil skirts and rock that ish!

There are women who dream of having the hourglass figure.
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    I have big hips and I love them. If you're in proportion - no need to complain. Embrace your figure
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    I have a HUGE ROUND BUTT.. just like my mom's :blushing:
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I used to have big hips, but when I started lifting weights my shoulders grew and now I'm much more proportional.

I think my hips looked large because my upper body was so underdeveloped.

If you could increase the strenghth in your upper body, you might find yourself looking much more like an hourglass :)