Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options

Replies

• _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hips are great to hang on to when hitting it from the back in the shower.

^^^ oh yeah, this for sure..
    42" hips, sexy..
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'll be lucky to ever get in a size 8, I've got a 12 inch difference between my waist and hips. O.o
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    The amish find birthing hips attractive

I'm moving to Pennsylvania pronto!!!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have big hips, and I'm glad I do! I hate my weight right now, and I really want to lose enough to look good in a bikini... Girls with hips have more to show and more to love! I love having curves! Embrace it! :) Try focusing on what you have and be thankful you don't lack any of that! :)
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    True_story_bro..jpg

tumblr_m5hnuz4MCv1r54a2lo5_1280.jpg
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have huge hips as well and the whole myth about them being "birthing hips" is a lie, my hips are about 56 inches and I was in labor with my son for over 12 hours and still could not have him. I eventually had to have a c-section!

I understand they are frustrating but like many people have said, you are stuck with them so you might want to learn to embrace them! I find that guys love my big hips eventhough I feel they look horrible!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have huge hips as well and the whole myth about them being "birthing hips" is a lie, my hips are about 56 inches and I was in labor with my son for over 12 hours and still could not have him. I eventually had to have a c-section!

I understand they are frustrating but like many people have said, you are stuck with them so you might want to learn to embrace them! I find that guys love my big hips eventhough I feel they look horrible!

It's funny you say that; I was actually just hearing something about that. That's such a left-over, old timey concept. A woman with larger hips is supposed to seem more attractive to men because of "fecundness," but that's just because it's a signal of secondary sexual characteristics. Big boobs and hips to a caveman? Probably means you had your period and can have kids.

It's actually all to do with the vaginal canal, which means nothing to the hips!
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5'2" 150 lbs, 42" hips, and 26" thighs besides that. It's always a pain to find jeans and pants that fit those measurements without having a massive gap behind my 30" waist. Maurice's "Taylor" curvy fit jeans seem to fit the bill pretty well. I wear a 7/8 short in that style, but an 11/12 in their other pants. They're a good for fitting my curves, but still have a more youthful style. Plus they're cheap, which is good seeing as how I've gone from a size 14/16 to an 8/10 since February.

Hip size has a lot more to do with your bone structure and your genetic predisposition for where you have a lot of muscle or tend to store fat. I'm making peace with the big bum I was born with, and my husband seems to like it the way that it is. I can only work to be the healthiest, fittest, and nicest looking me that I can.

We have really similar body types and goals though, so if you want to add me, feel free!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

It's funny you say that; I was actually just hearing something about that. That's such a left-over, old timey concept. A woman with larger hips is supposed to seem more attractive to men because of "fecundness," but that's just because it's a signal of secondary sexual characteristics. Big boobs and hips to a caveman? Probably means you had your period and can have kids.

It's actually all to do with the vaginal canal, which means nothing to the hips!

Personally I take this old saying very offensive to my ears. To me it's almost the same as saying "you hippies can give birth like pigs do"...How insulting! :sad:
  • kscampbellnh
    Options
    I have big hips - always have no matter what I do. I'm 45 now and admit I still hate them...someone once told me I was shaped like a guitar. I didn't like that comment, but they were surprised because they thought it was a compliment. I guess it's all relative, my friend. Just embrace!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have big hips - always have no matter what I do. I'm 45 now and admit I still hate them...someone once told me I was shaped like a guitar. I didn't like that comment, but they were surprised because they thought it was a compliment. I guess it's all relative, my friend. Just embrace!

Yeah, paying compliments is such a tricky thing...Once I made a comment here on the forum about somebody's extremely musculine build as a compliment but I was almost attacked because apparently I insulted her instead.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    True_story_bro..jpg

tumblr_m5hnuz4MCv1r54a2lo5_1280.jpg

I get what you are trying to do here, but that's insulting to women who naturally have straighter body shapes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat percentage. :)

dexa.jpg?w=490

just sayin!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

just sayin!

Holy crap, it's that easy? I wonder why nobody just does that?!

Not really as simple as all that, and some people, no matter what they try are just going to have wider hips, butt and thighs....not a damn thing wrong with that though :bigsmile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

just sayin!

Not really as simple as all that, and some people, no matter what they try are just going to have wider hips, butt and thighs....not a damn thing wrong with that though :bigsmile:

"Body shape" simply depends on genetics and where your body stores fat. Regardless, with a low enough body fat percentage she shouldn't have that problem. No one has "HUGE" actual hip bones... they may just carry fat in that area.

She also mentions "even when I was skinny I was still a size 11." Define skinny? I mean, if your body fat percentage is low enough, I just don't see how thats a problem. It's definitely possible for someone to lower your body fat percentage... I was being serious and trying to be helpful. ;_;
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I too have big hips, at 41". I still have 30lbs left to go but it's mostly in my stomach and legs, I wear a 14 jean right now and will probably be able to get into a 12 when it's all said and done.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

just sayin!

"Body shape" simply depends on genetics and where your body stores fat. Regardless, with a low enough body fat percentage she shouldn't have that problem. No one has "HUGE" actual hip bones... they may just carry fat in that area.

She also mentions "even when I was skinny I was still a size 11." Define skinny? I mean, if your body fat percentage is low enough, I just don't see how thats a problem. It's definitely possible for someone to lower your body fat percentage... I was being serious and trying to be helpful. ;_;

Well, it's not as simple as "Hey just lower your body fat percentage" some of those areas are stubborn, and further some just appear to be genetics. Even when my wife was a "normal" weight for her height she always has larger hips, butt and thighs (believe me, I've heard the complaining when she attempts to shop for clothes, she's short and very curvy even when there's not much fat in most places).

Based on the weight on your ticker and your profile pics I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 1) you don't have this problem with "unusually" wide hips, 2) You've never had a weight problem/issues with loosing weight when you want, and 3) Drop weight and slim out relatively easily. Just a hunch though, could be completely wrong.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You have to get over comparing yourself to your sister. I also have a sister and we are absolute opposites in body type. She is has hips and a butt and no boobs, I'm busty and no hips. It's been that way since we hit puberty. As teens, we used to joke that if we cut both of us in half and reassembled the parts, we'd have one Playboy bunny and one runway model. :laugh:

Your sister isn't necessarily going to have a figure similar to yours simply because you are related. :wink:

And I agree with everyone else about the juniors department--juniors are cut very straight and thin for bodies hitting puberty and just beginning to develop curves. You should be shopping in the Missy section, where you will be far more likely to find clothes that fit you well.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Dems good child bearing hips.

In all seriousness though, pear shaped is better than being apple shaped. I hate having a blob for a stomach.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I thought this first said, do I have huge lips. See what MFP has done to me.