Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options

Replies

• KT022
    KT022 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the big hips family and to be honest, I'd prefer to have big hips over no hips - some of the girls out there who are thin as thin can be just look like sticks, whereas if their hips were a little wider and they had a bit of meat they would look a lot healthier :) My sister doesn't have hips and she is envious of mine!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wish I stored my weight in my hips! I store all of my fat in my stomach, and I can't tell you how many times people asked if I was pregnant when I was really just fat :(
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?

Well currently, yes I do have some extra fat there, right now am a size 13 juniors, but when I was 125 I was still a size 11 and that doesn't make sense to me being that my sister is the same exact height at 125 is a size 5.
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Big hips here... one advaantage is that your waist looks smaller and you will age "shaplier". I've grown to love my hips!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side, wider-hipped girls tend to have more thigh gap!
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Same reason I have massive thighs, genetics! F*** 'em!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    whoa now hips not all bad
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Plus size doesn't matter anyway. I'm 5'9 and a size 10 (mainly because I have big thighs and a booty) and weight 155lbs and I look fabulous. The way I'm built I doubt I will get much smaller. People are shocked when I tell them I'm a size 10 ("You look like a size 2!") What matters is how you LOOK in your clothes. Like others have said you also should probably not shop in the juniors section. It's intended for adolescents and women who have much smaller hips. You will probably find things that fit you much better in the regular women's section.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain....But I like big hips! They look feminine. Child bearing hips, as they say :P
  • erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Reduce your body fat percentage by strength training in addition to cardio if you are not already.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That's just how your hips are, it's got to do with your bone structure. Mine are exactly the same but I really love it lol

At least when you have babies we'll have plenty of room for them X3
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I will be in the same situation when I lose all my weight, I have really wide hip bones but I love them.
    They make me feel womanly and curvy.

Embrace them! You probably look hot in your jeans. <3
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    From an article I just read:

On women, body fat seems to be healthier and less problematic. The characteristically female lower body “gluteofemoral fat” is actually a strong sign of metabolic health, whereas abdominal fat is not. In men, high body fat levels correlate strongly with insulin resistance, while this relationship is much weaker in women (probably because of their lower tendency to store visceral fat).

Women burn fat differently than men. Upper body fat goes first, while lower body fat tends to stay put. Except during pregnancy and lactation, when the lower body begins to give up lower fat stores far more readily. Interestingly (and not by coincidence), women tend to preferentially store the long chain omega-3 fatty acid DHA – the one that’s so important to the baby’s development during and pregnancy – in their thighs.

Large bottom/hips/thighs are pretty normal in most women it seems...and well I personally think it's much more attractive than no butt, stick legs and bony hips!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Big hips, butt and thighs. :( Have been annoyed for so many years...nothing I have done has done anything to enhance them. :(
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Mother nature! I have a 28 inch waist and 40 inch hips........
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hips are good.
    But if you want firmness then cycle. Nothing quite like it.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    im the same,im 5,7, i now weigh in around 125.8 pounds,i was 135 pounds, and my hips are still the same, my waist is 28 inches and hips are 39 .........im like f**k of hips u make my bottom look too wide ..lol
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?

Well currently, yes I do have some extra fat there, right now am a size 13 juniors, but when I was 125 I was still a size 11 and that doesn't make sense to me being that my sister is the same exact height at 125 is a size 5.

What age are you? Why are you shopping in juniors? Big hips are not a bad thing, lots of men love them and clothes can look great on hips...I'd rather have big hips that a flat body any day!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Large bottom/hips/thighs are pretty normal in most women it seems...and well I personally think it's much more attractive than no butt, stick legs and bony hips!

Well, some women look like that naturally, just as some women are naturally larger in the hip region. No need to be insulting to people who look different from you.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Oh yes I too have "good strong child bearing hips". On the plus side you probably look hot as hell in jeans no matter the size!

As has been said: get the heck out of the juniors section, they're meant for pre-pubescent girls who have yet to develop hips. You probably get whale tail & plumbers crack too because of I'll fitting pants!! Check out clothes meant for girls with curves, I am personally loving a pair of Lee's I just bought, otherwise most of my pants come from New York & Co, they tend to fit much nicer and I'll be a size smaller in thei curvy style pants because they make their pants smaller in the waist and wider in the hips and thighs to match my pear shape.

I gotta say I'd rather have a badonkadonk than be an apple and be mistaken for pregnant all the time!!!