Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options

Replies

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I totally read the title of this thread wrong. For some reason I thought it said "Why do I have HUGE lips?"

Ah well, you live and learn. More coffee needed for me I think.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i have wide hips too...I am 5'9 and even when i was borderline underweight at 126lbs i was still in a size 8...because of my hips....im back in my size 8's now at 140lbs

there is nothing you can do to change it....just embrace it....and do not focus on the size...focus on dressing for your body type :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some nice fitted pencil skirts and rock that ish!

There are women who dream of having the hourglass figure.

This! I notice pencil skirts make my curvy figure look about 10x better.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Some people just have wide set hip bones. Don't hate the genetics of your body. EMBRACE IT. You can't change your shape, if it truly is that and not just extra fat. Quit comparing yourself to others and be the best YOU that you can be!
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. In the past couple years I've lost about 30-35 lbs. My shirt size has gone down 3 sizes but my pant size only 1. I'm definitely a pear.

The way I look at it I would rather have a big butt and hips than a big stomach and I don't mean to offend anyone at all!

: )
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I definitely sympathize. I'm learning to embrace it. Even when I was 118 at the beginning of college, I was in a size 8 pant (I'm also petite, at 5'3''). I carry it alllll in my hips, and it's gonna be what it's gonna be!
  • patfyfe
    patfyfe Posts: 17
    Options
    Be glad that you carry your weight on your hips and not around your stomach and waist, where mine always sits, as it is healthier and you will not be prone to heart problems.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 as well. When I weighed 155, I was a size 14/16. I'm extra hippy. I'm now in the low 130s and a size 8. I did NOT like my figure when I was at my heaviest, I literally looked like a pear.. a giant pear. Now that I'm quite a bit smaller let me tell you, I love my shape. You'll love yours too. We're built to fill out dresses and skirts. Pants are a bit of a challenge when you sport the small waist and big butt but you'll like it, trust me.
  • jcm529
    jcm529 Posts: 36
    Options
    This post just made me realize how much I appreciate my hips (that I was complaining about this morning). I've realized that big hips for me, also mean tiny waist. We are pretty much identical in size (I'm 5ft2, 154, 40" hip). It's something I'm learning to love.
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm built the same way, with huge, fatty hips. My sister weighs a little more than me but we wear the same size jeans because she has small hips. I have to learn to embrace that this is how I'm made and my hips will probably always be big, BUT I do not like the extra fat that "hangs" there. I have been doing squats(all kinds), lunges, deadlifts, and any other exercise I can think of to tighten that area. So far, I've lost half an inch and already, my pants feel looser! Anyways, my advice is if you start to do all kinds of exercises to tighten that area, your hips will probably be smaller when you reach your weight loss goal than they were when you were 125lbs. However, do not think that once you reach that goal, you will be a size 0. It'll never happen to us who have bigger hips so let's all learn to love these sexy, curvier hips!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Embrace it! When I was dealing with the worst parts of anorexia, I weighed 95 lbs at 5'6"... I couldn't fit into a smaller size pair of pants than a 5 or 7. That's not very big... but when I think my bmi was roughly 15 or 16, it was jarring that my hips would not go away. Now they're my fiance's favorite part of me, and I never feel bad about an hourglass shape.
  • Kerilynnda
    Kerilynnda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way ... I actually started a thread a while back with almost the exact same question! Basically it's like everyone said - learn to love them...

I just hope mine don't get larger when i have children!! :sad:
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hips are to women like condoms are to men.

Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm at 42 also abut I love my hips and butt!! Everybody it's different I'm a size 6 and 140 lbs
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    I love big hips. :D there is nothing wrong with them at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?
    Blame your parents. Somewhere in conception genetics chose you to have the wide hips. Embrace it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I have big hips and a big booty......I embrace both. Especially since most men seem to want to embrace them, too.... :wink:
  • TheUglyFriend
    Options
    Boys dont like them... men like them ^.^ I have big hips and they arent going anywhere lol
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    oh hun i think big hips = sexy! ^^ like most ppl said embrace them. xx
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Really, it's genetics. You'll always have them. I've got the same problem.

Even when I was skinny, I had a 28" waist and 38" hips. Made shopping for jeans a *****.