Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options

Replies

• PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    With ya. I'm 175, with 39.5 inch hips, with visible hip bones. I've still got some fluff to lose in the front of those hips, but bones won't shrink. Don't stress, just love them.
    And yeah, try getting out of the junior section. You'll probably feel better buying jeans meant for women with hips.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Large bottom/hips/thighs are pretty normal in most women it seems...and well I personally think it's much more attractive than no butt, stick legs and bony hips!

Well, some women look like that naturally, just as some women are naturally larger in the hip region. No need to be insulting to people who look different from you.

No offense intended, if you are one of those skinny types, there are plenty of men who find that attractive. As I said my PERSONAL opinion is that fat bottomed girls are more attractive to me.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    well as much as you hate your hips, I love you for starting this thread...

I have bigger hips and I know I do and I embrace them, but I was trying to figure out how much further I down I will go in the hip department as I felt my 46 inch hips were LARGE when I looked at the number, yet almost proportional when I looked in the mirror...

good to know the number is pretty on par with my body shape and the approximate 80 pounds I have left to lose.

so given my stats and loss ratio, when I reach goal weight I will probably have 30-40 inch hips and i'd even be happy with 42!!

thank you for posting this!

Lauren
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    I am 25! LOL I just don't feel old enough to considered a "women", and the saddest part as I am a mother too! LOL
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?

Well currently, yes I do have some extra fat there, right now am a size 13 juniors, but when I was 125 I was still a size 11 and that doesn't make sense to me being that my sister is the same exact height at 125 is a size 5.

What age are you? Why are you shopping in juniors? Big hips are not a bad thing, lots of men love them and clothes can look great on hips...I'd rather have big hips that a flat body any day!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?

Well currently, yes I do have some extra fat there, right now am a size 13 juniors, but when I was 125 I was still a size 11 and that doesn't make sense to me being that my sister is the same exact height at 125 is a size 5.

What age are you? Why are you shopping in juniors? Big hips are not a bad thing, lots of men love them and clothes can look great on hips...I'd rather have big hips that a flat body any day!

i second this. seems like the concerns are misplaced. big hips are good, its the midsection as being big that should be a concern (health reasons and all). i guy needs something to hold on to. if you dont have hips ratio babygirl you dont have curves...thats not ok as an adult.

just sayin
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I had 42" hips and they've gone down to 35.5, so it's possible you may still loses inches. Although I agree with those who say don't shop in Jr sizes, the cut is too narrow.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is genetics. I'm 5'10.5" and got down to 167 last year (goal is 154). I was a little demotivated to continue because my lower body still needed to lose those pounds but my collarbones were starting to freak me out. I decided to give it another go, because I'm hoping my upper body won't get any skinnier than that and I'll lose the last 13 on my hips, butt, and thighs, but genetically I carry weight lower.

This is exactly my problem! My collarbones stick out like crazy but I got a whole mess of fat on the lower half of my body....especially my legs and thighs.....yuck!

I do go into the Jr section sometimes, but have learned to head right back out :wink:
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?

I have the same problem! I've lost some weight & I still wear a size 11 in juniors skinny jeans. My hips are around 41 inches & my waist is 29 inches. I'm 18- so that's why I shop inside the junior section still...
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am 25! LOL I just don't feel old enough to considered a "women", and the saddest part as I am a mother too! LOL

Well seriously, embrace those hips and get yourself some pencil skirts to wiggle them in!!! It works for me :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

I was just saying on my status that I have to buy pants with stretch or that are 1-2 sizes bigger then take them in at the waist.
  • katierechgomez
    Options
    I have big hips as well!! Always have! My hubby says mine were made for having babies! Haha. Still don't have any kids yet, but want to. It is frustrating though when you have to wear bigger pants because of your hips. I understand, believe me. But I am trying to make peace with it and realize that some ppl love women with big hips. And I have to love myself no matter what because this is the only body I am getting. Hang in there girl...embrace your sexy, womanly body!!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

But you ARE a woman. You are not a teen girl with a still-developing body.

One of the biggest tips I can give you, or anybody who's self-conscious about a body part, is to find clothes that fit YOUR body shape. Don't try to stuff yourself into clothes that are just not made for you. Because then you start to feel like something's wrong with YOU, when that's just not true. There's nothing wrong with you, it's the clothes. They're made for someone else. Not someone better, not someone prettier, just someone with a different shape. We're all different. When you find some good clothes that are made to fit women with hips instead of trying to fit into clothes that are made for adolescent girls, you will feel a thousand times better about yourself. And shopping outside the juniors' department doesn't mean you're going to be stuck with granny florals and mom jeans. You can still find super adorable clothing. They'll just be made to fit women like you, to make you look and feel amazing.
  • jpcamden
    jpcamden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A lot of guys like big hips.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

I was just saying on my status that I have to buy pants with stretch or that are 1-2 sizes bigger then take them in at the waist.

That explains why I don't see any change in my pants after losing 10 pounds...this is really depressing. :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
  • GrandmaSue16
    Options
    If there are this many hippy women out there then we should drive what is hot! I carry my weight on my hips as well. Hope to be able to trim most of it off this year.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    Ah I understand, at my smallest in college I was 95 lbs (yeah, not healthy at all) and I never got past a size 11 in juniors. So, then something crazy happened I went to a grown woman store like The LImited suddenly I fit into a size 4. Even though I am no where near that size, I have those pants. lol

Part of it that's just how you're made, however if you really think that you could be more toned or something you can do a lot of squats and ballet type moves. This can really change your shape, but it won't give you a stick thin look if your'e still going to be healthy as a woman (meaning that your pelvic bones have turned out as you matured to make room for any baby-making in your future). If you feel like your lower body is fairly toned and muscular though, that's just how you're made.

But another thing I still do as a somewhat bottom heavy shape is wear more skirts. I used to get a lot teasing for being so "girly" but now that I"m almost 27 no one says anything anymore.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them myself but I think Levi's new curvy ID on jeans is a very good concept. Basically they have same size of jeans but with slight treaking on waist to fit in different shapes more nicely than the traditional one size fits all.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. I am a size 8 and have been a size 8 since high school (when I was in perfect physical shape). I gained weight and my size 8's got really tight, but now that I've lost weight they fit perfectly again. It's the hips! I know it kind of sucks thinking that you'll never wear a size 4 no matter how much weight you lose... trust me I know. But we have to learn to love our bodies.
  • Crystle23
    Options
    At my smallest I wore a 12. I hated it, I thought I was fat and there was something wrong with me, now I am working my *kitten* off to get back to that. You better believe I am going to love it when I am!!

Stop comparing yourself! Did you know that in the 1950s and before it was awesome to have big curvy hips, it was a good thing to be over a size 10 (so long as you were still at a healthy weight.) It was gross looking to be skinny. What happened to those days?? Lets go back to that, PLEASE!! :happy:
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You have had a child! You are no longer a Junior and your body doesn't think you are either! Try the women's department and I bet you will feel much better when the clothes actually fit the wonderful curves you have now!