Why do I have HUGE hips?

Options
I am so annoyed. I feel like I have ginormous hips. Even when I weighed 125 pounds I still wore a size 11 pants b/c my hips were so flipping big....

Okay so here I am now, I am 155 pounds, 5'2, and my hips are 42".. I have lost 34 pounds, but still have big hips, I plan on losing more weight and getting back to 125 but I am confused b/c my older sister is my same exact height and weighs 125, yet is a size 5 juniors and when I weighed 125 I was 11 juniors. WTF????

Can I fix my big hips?

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You have them because of genetics; it's just the way you're built.

By getting to your goal weight, you can make them smaller, but they will likely always be proportionately larger.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    "Winning the battle of learning to love myself....."

I think that includes your hips.....:wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1. Stop shopping in the juniors section. It's not made for people with hips.

2. No, your hips bones so they probably can't be "fixed". IF your body chooses to store it's excess fat on your lower body (like mine does) it make take getting to an unhealthy level of body fat to remove all of it.

3. Hips are sexy! Embrace them. Learn to love them. I know a lot of women with narrow hips who would gladly trade you for your big ones.

4. Large hips are good for birthing babies.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha, the juniors section will only make most of us feel bad. Get used to 'em. They won't go away.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love my wide hips!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is genetics. I'm 5'10.5" and got down to 167 last year (goal is 154). I was a little demotivated to continue because my lower body still needed to lose those pounds but my collarbones were starting to freak me out. I decided to give it another go, because I'm hoping my upper body won't get any skinnier than that and I'll lose the last 13 on my hips, butt, and thighs, but genetically I carry weight lower.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Embrace your hips, I don't have them and wish I did. I would have a waist if I had hips instead of looking like a board or rectangle, urgh.
  • wendyrvp
    wendyrvp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It can always be worse! I was weighed and measured by my trainer yesterday and the tape measure wasn't long enough to measure my hips. Be happy with the JR section :)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Psssst - a big bottom is IN, girlfriend! <snap> I mean, look at J Lo, Kim K, Nicki Minaj. Men LIKE curves! :bigsmile:

P.S. my hips used to be bigger around than I am tall - think about THAT for a sec - I'm five foot one - 61 inches - my hips at 290 lbs were 65 inches!

P.P.S. when I weighed 135 pounds, I took a size 10 jeans. We're built the same way, short lil hourglass figure - with a little extra sand in the bottom! :wink:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I sympathise. I am the same height as you and also have massive hips which have always been proportionately larger no matter what my weight. I've actually planned my funeral to have a private family burial before a thanksgiving service for all...because I don't want my coffin to be seen publicly as I would be ashamed of how wide it was!!!!!!!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So do you mean that your body is shaped that way, or that you have fat there that is the last to go?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Embrace what you have kiddo...there is no fixing genetics. Lots of people would love to have hips and are envious of you.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The amish find birthing hips attractive
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The juniors section is for juniors. Adolescents. They're not made for women with hips. Shop in stores that are designed for women with curves.

That said, when I weighed 108 lbs. at 5'2", I have never worn smaller than a size 5/6 jeans and a medium top. I have broad shoulders and wide hips. It's how I'm built. Not everyone is capable of looking like Twiggy. Not everyone should strive to.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have big hips too! It's how you're built, and only serves to make your waist look tinier.

I'm 5'1, 110 pounds and have 37" hips. At 125 they were over 40.

Also agree that you need to stop shopping in the junior's section. Especially for pants. You'll find better cuts in women's jeans.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Dude, me too. but i LOOOVE my hips. i actually wudnt mind being 125lbs with some 42inc hips. my hips and thighs barly shirink no matter how much weight i loose. i dnt mind tho because im one of the few black grls without a gigantic booty.
    ( #teamsmallbooty) :laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The good news is wide hips make your waist look smaller!

I had a sad moment earlier looking a sizing chart. My waist (25.5") qualified as XS but my hips (37") were medium and thighs (21") were a large!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Psssst - a big bottom is IN, girlfriend! <snap> I mean, look at J Lo, Kim K, Nicki Minaj. Men LIKE curves! :bigsmile:

Mmmmmhhhmmmmm you know she right! I love my hips! Better recognize.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You are lucky! I have man-hips and at the age of 42 I still have to shop in the Jr.'s section because real-woman pants are all droopy in the butt on me. And, trust me, having to wear the styles of youth at my age is NOT flattering. Otherwise I have to buy regular women's and have them altered. Either way, it's a pain.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    ohh but i love my hips...! 42!!! maybe couse im latina... but i love them!