Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Here is "food for thought", so to speak.

Almost every person on "The Biggest Loser" has gained all of the weight back or more. Look it up.

As I understand it (I never watched the show) "Planet Fitness" sponsored it and the "workouts" were done at their facilities.

post hoc ergo propter hoc? Yes, but it is a data point.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    At SOME "Planet Fitness"

Franchise policies vary.
    That isn't how franchises operate in most instances.
    They must abide by contractual law to the rules set forth by the parent company.

"They have made a business decision to purchase the franchise and have voluntarily agreed to operate the business according to the rules and boundaries set forth by the franchisor. "

Regardless, one of the signs reads "per corporate regulations". Emphasis mine.
    So are you saying some of the franchise owners are liars as well?

The company's PR director, McCall Gosselin is proud of these policies.

To each their own.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love my PF. Joined a year ago because I got sick of buying heavier dumbbells for a program I was following at home. The staff always greet me and say goodbyes. I now follow a program on bodyspace app. Staff are always cleaning, the equipment is always working, the staff don't try to sell me on personal trainers or other items. The only downfall to mine is the parking lot has some pot holes.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Here is "food for thought", so to speak.

Almost every person on "The Biggest Loser" has gained all of the weight back or more. Look it up.

As I understand it (I never watched the show) "Planet Fitness" sponsored it and the "workouts" were done at their facilities.

post hoc ergo propter hoc? Yes, but it is a data point.

24 Hour Fitness sponsored the first 9 seasons before they switched to PF. 24 allows all those things that PF doesn't. My location added a 3rd squat rack with Olympic weights. I think the BL issue is just the sustainability.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I recently went gym shopping, and for a "No Judgement Zone", they seemed very judgemental.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I belong to a PF. I'm just looking for cardio right now. It is $10/month and operates on a schedule that works with my life.

People drop weights A LOT at the PF I belong to and I've never heard an alarm go off. It's a no-frills place for me to burn some calories when it is -20 outside.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program and highly functional movements.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

cosign

I utilize compound movements and am not a professional power lifter by any stretch of the imagination ...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My son was a member for a while He was bartending and going to school so he would normally go in after the bar closed. He said he could do what he wanted in there at that time since it pretty empty and sometimes the attendant would go catch a nap.

Didn't have all the equipment he wanted but cheap, good hours and close by his apartment.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I belong to a PF. I'm just looking for cardio right now. It is $10/month and operates on a schedule that works with my life.

People drop weights A LOT at the PF I belong to and I've never heard an alarm go off. It's a no-frills place for me to burn some calories when it is -20 outside.

I've heard weights drop with my headphones in and my music up and the huge fans on overhead. No lunk alarm.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You don't understand why PF catches such a bad rep here....?

Have you seen their ads and understand their business philosophy of: Caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast while calling those fitness enthusiasts dumb and stupid (you know...a lunk) all while preying on the perpetuation a non-existent stereotype that the gym is a place that the "noob" is going to be judged for being out of shape all while under the guise that they are a "judgment free zone" while being the most judgmental gym in the marketplace.

I know that this premise of this piece is satire, but the PF employee interviewed does say a lot for why PF catches so much hell here.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Can't beat the price for what they offer. The equipment has always been in good shape at my two locations. That is more than I can say for my previous "real" gyms which always seem to have broken equipment because the lunks like throwing things around.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

No need for snark, though you could try finishing a sentence. It makes it a little easier to respond. Have you seen any commercials? The ones I've seen show instructors screaming in people's faces. I think there was one with a very fit weight lifter, but the joke was more about the fact that he was caressing himself in the mirror and making exaggerated poses and faces. Yes, I consider both of these people "idiots" and I am not inclined to workout with them. I've not said anything about anyone who lifts heavy other than they may not find what they need at PF. I have seen enough posts on these boards over the years to know that there are people who fit the stereotypes you're talking about, but I also believe those are few and far between. Going forward, I'd appreciate it if you'd comment on what I actually say, rather than what you wish I had said so that it supports whatever view it is you have.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Can't beat the price for what they offer. The equipment has always been in good shape at my two locations. That is more than I can say for my previous "real" gyms which always seem to have broken equipment because the lunks like throwing things around.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or judgmental...