Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.

You don't understand why PF catches such a bad rep here....?

Have you seen their ads and understand their business philosophy of: Caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast while calling those fitness enthusiasts dumb and stupid (you know...a lunk) all while preying on the perpetuation a non-existent stereotype that the gym is a place that the "noob" is going to be judged for being out of shape all while under the guise that they are a "judgment free zone" while being the most judgmental gym in the marketplace.

I know that this premise of this piece is satire, but the PF employee interviewed does say a lot for why PF catches so much hell here.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

The people in those ads are acting dumb and stupid, so I see no need to get offended when someone calls them such. As I've said, many times now, I've seen people where I go that are very, very fit. Much more fit than I likely ever will be, and I think that's awesome. I've seen employees and trainers congratulate them along with the less fit people. I've never, ever, seen ANYONE disrespected.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

That's my question as well. Why is someone who cares about their body an idiot? Why is someone who drops the weights an idiot? Wouldn't they be an idiot b/c they didn't drop the weight and injured themselves b/c they didn't bail? Are they an idiot b/c they grunt? Grunting happens in regular, everyday life. People grunt during bowel movements, does that make them a lunk? They're pushing a heavy load, lol. People grunt while playing tennis, football, basketball, but they aren't called lunks.

I grunt while learning new moves during pole b/c A) the ish is hard and B ) the ish is painful. The grunting subsides when I feel more comfortable in a move and have trained my brain and body to ignore the pain (or I've become desensitized to it).
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hate the way they sell to potential clients that other gyms are scary places where they will be judged immediately. They prey on newbies fears and I don't like that at all. I have belonged to many different types of gyms over the last ten years, and at no time did any gym I ever belonged to fit that made me feel out of place, no matter how unfit I was. Every gym, with few exceptions will welcome anyone of any ability, and to advertise to people that unless they join this crap gym they won't be accepted. It's utter bull.

I toured the one that just opened in my town before getting a membership to a real gym. Sure, it costs three times as much, but I can do squats with a proper squat rack - squats are an exercise my local Planet Fitness does not support as only "lunks" do squats. I hate to tell them, but this 37 year old overweight woman does squats. I'm no where near a "lunk"

I personally enjoy going to a gym with people of all abilities. I love seeing super fit people while I workout. It keeps me on the treadmill or elliptical just that much longer. Seeing people who work out once a week or less and never get results is my definition of a sad trip to the gym.

I also don't agree with pizza and candy at the gym. I asked the salesperson what was the deal with the huge bucket of candy, and she said it was a little reward for working out. More like, eat ten of these little tootsie rolls and completely undo your entire workout. People were eating them on the treadmill ffs.

I honestly believe that we humans need motivation to work out and to do a good job in the gym. Watching people eat candy and pizza while doing the bare minimum and getting 0 results, does not give much motivation.

If anything, you're being motivated not to be fit. Fit people are the enemy-remember? Fit people will look down on you. They are bad. Don't be bad.

They do have a stellar idea though. Get a bunch of people who aren't really going to work out that hard or frequently to all give you ten bucks a month to feel like they are doing something good for their health and then profit completely off of them when they barely use the substandard equipment to barely get fit. As far as business ideas, it's a good one. Great even. As a gym, it's good if it's all you can afford I guess.

This. Enuff Said!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You don't understand why PF catches such a bad rep here....?

Have you seen their ads and understand their business philosophy of: Caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast while calling those fitness enthusiasts dumb and stupid (you know...a lunk) all while preying on the perpetuation a non-existent stereotype that the gym is a place that the "noob" is going to be judged for being out of shape all while under the guise that they are a "judgment free zone" while being the most judgmental gym in the marketplace.

I know that this premise of this piece is satire, but the PF employee interviewed does say a lot for why PF catches so much hell here.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

The people in those ads are acting dumb and stupid, so I see no need to get offended when someone calls them such. As I've said, many times now, I've seen people where I go that are very, very fit. Much more fit than I likely ever will be, and I think that's awesome. I've seen employees and trainers congratulate them along with the less fit people. I've never, ever, seen ANYONE disrespected.

Um...ya they are acting dumb and stupid.....for a reason.....PF caricaturizing them to perpetuate the stereotype that those individuals are your general gym goer and that you (the universal you) belong at PF, not with the morons (lunks) that fill every other gym. It's pretty straight forward.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

No need for snark, though you could try finishing a sentence. It makes it a little easier to respond. Have you seen any commercials? The ones I've seen show instructors screaming in people's faces. I think there was one with a very fit weight lifter, but the joke was more about the fact that he was caressing himself in the mirror and making exaggerated poses and faces. Yes, I consider both of these people "idiots" and I am not inclined to workout with them. I've not said anything about anyone who lifts heavy other than they may not find what they need at PF. I have seen enough posts on these boards over the years to know that there are people who fit the stereotypes you're talking about, but I also believe those are few and far between. Going forward, I'd appreciate it if you'd comment on what I actually say, rather than what you wish I had said so that it supports whatever view it is you have.

I am not the one that painted anyone who lifts heavy as an "idiot," and that is what you said, so don't try and walk it back now. You claimed that you have never seen this judgmental attitude and then go ahead and judge a whole group of people as idiots. Furthermore, you just referenced a commercial that they run, where they do the very thing that you say you have never seen them do. I have been working out at gyms for over ten years and I have yet to see people throwing around weights, screaming at a trainee, or flexing in the mirrors. This is just some BS stereotype that PF uses to scare people into going to the PF "safe space."
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

That's my question as well. Why is someone who cares about their body an idiot? Why is someone who drops the weights an idiot? Wouldn't they be an idiot b/c they didn't drop the weight and injured themselves b/c they didn't bail? Are they an idiot b/c they grunt? Grunting happens in regular, everyday life. People grunt during bowel movements, does that make them a lunk? They're pushing a heavy load, lol. People grunt while playing tennis, football, basketball, but they aren't called lunks.

I grunt while learning new moves during pole b/c A) the ish is hard and B ) the ish is painful. The grunting subsides when I feel more comfortable in a move and have trained my brain and body to ignore the pain (or I've become desensitized to it).

Where did anyone say that someone caring about their body is an idiot? Someone jumping around screaming in someone's face is an idiot. Someone making exaggerated poses and faces in a mirror is mostly just ridiculous. Grunting happens at PF, again no lunk alarms and no disrespect.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Where did anyone say that someone caring about their body is an idiot? Someone jumping around screaming in someone's face is an idiot. Someone making exaggerated poses and faces in a mirror is mostly just ridiculous. Grunting happens at PF, again no lunk alarms and no disrespect.

you are basing your opinion on a PF commercial, which would be the equivalent to reading Soviet Union propaganda about life in the United States during the cold war, and forming an opinion of the US based on that.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness takes much criticism, and in my opinion most of it is uninformed and unwarranted.

I've been a member for 2+ years and it meets my fitness/budget/location/cleanliness and availability of equipment needs. I've not had an issue or a bad experience there, and I've never seen their staff be anything other than helpful and courteous.

As for the pizza, bagels, Tootsie Rolls; I don't eat these things when I'm there and they're out, but to each his own.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

No need for snark, though you could try finishing a sentence. It makes it a little easier to respond. Have you seen any commercials? The ones I've seen show instructors screaming in people's faces. I think there was one with a very fit weight lifter, but the joke was more about the fact that he was caressing himself in the mirror and making exaggerated poses and faces. Yes, I consider both of these people "idiots" and I am not inclined to workout with them. I've not said anything about anyone who lifts heavy other than they may not find what they need at PF. I have seen enough posts on these boards over the years to know that there are people who fit the stereotypes you're talking about, but I also believe those are few and far between. Going forward, I'd appreciate it if you'd comment on what I actually say, rather than what you wish I had said so that it supports whatever view it is you have.

I am not the one that painted anyone who lifts heavy as an "idiot," and that is what you said, so don't try and walk it back now. You claimed that you have never seen this judgmental attitude and then go ahead and judge a whole group of people as idiots. Furthermore, you just referenced a commercial that they run, where they do the very thing that you say you have never seen them do. I have been working out at gyms for over ten years and I have yet to see people throwing around weights, screaming at a trainee, or flexing in the mirrors. This is just some BS stereotype that PF uses to scare people into going to the PF "safe space."

That is not what I said so I'm going to end this here as its going nowhere. That's what they make treadmills for ;). You're still putting things in that I didn't say so you can create an argument about something we're unlikely to agree on. I deal with this daily, as I have 16 yr old twin girls, so I know when to walk away, lol.

Once more, for those who are actually reading what I say, there may be PF's out there that fit shame, but I haven't seen it personally. Not in any way, shape, or form. Kudos to marathon runners and heavy lifters and the average person who just needs a treadmill.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That is not what I said so I'm going to end this here as its going nowhere. That's what they make treadmills for ;). You're still putting things in that I didn't say so you can create an argument about something we're unlikely to agree on. I deal with this daily, as I have 16 yr old twin girls, so I know when to walk away, lol.

Once more, for those who are actually reading what I say, there may be PF's out there that fit shame, but I haven't seen it personally. Not in any way, shape, or form. Kudos to marathon runners and heavy lifters and the average person who just needs a treadmill.

As a corporation they fit shame. What you aren't getting is that they portraying all serious lifters as lunks in their commercials. If they had a commercial and portrayed overweight people as stupid they would never ever get away with it but apparently it's OK to do that to bodybuilders, etc.

That's the key. The fact that any one (or several) individual PFs haven't explicitly done this doesn't change what the overarching PF corporation has done.

• ndj1979
    Options

awww you mad bro? I am just commenting on what you said, but feel free to try and back track out of it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Quoted from your post: The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies.

You didn't specify how they acted about their bodies, so I took it as you calling them idiots for daring to care about their bodies b/c they prefer to lift which makes them a lunk b/c they grunt and drop weights. But I'll give you that b/c you didn't say that outright.

But let's go into calling people idiots for looking in the mirror. How nonjudgmental. Also, why do you care what someone else does? How does it affect you? Are they looking in the mirror and blocking equipment you need? No, then let those people be. How do you know what they're doing? How do you know they aren't motivating themselves to be able to make it through their next lift? Chances are, it's their rest period b/c lifting takes a lot of energy. The heavier you lift, the longer the rest period.

The only time I've seen screaming in someone's face is during a bootcamp class, and people expect that. That's what they signed up for.

You seem to be taking these commercials as gospel and absolute truth, when they're actually over exaggerated stereotypes.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    and if you have never heard the lunk alarm go off just google "PF Lunk Alarm"
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    For years I worked at the local pizza joint in my town that PF orders from for Pizza Day. First Monday of the month was always crazy as I had to get two separate $200+ orders out the door and delivered on time. I don't miss that. And I don't partake of the pizza at my PF. I spent five years eating it, so I'm good... :D

Anyways, just here to basically repeat everyone else, based on my own experience.

I have a PF membership because it's literally at the end of my street. I've been going there for a little over four months now, and after the first month (about when I got brave enough to leave the elliptical and start doing strength training) I realized I'd need to find another gym in order to do the weight lifting I'm aiming for. There's no squat racks and only fixed barbells at my PF. The gym overall was really good for me as a beginner, particularly because it was so close and I really needed something close so I would have no excuse not to go. I get my cardio done there and do my best with what weight lifting equipment there is (I follow the Strong Curves program, currently, and I basically do almost nothing with barbells because of the awful selection at my PF).

Right now I'm just trying to decide if I want to add a second gym membership now, for weight lifting purposes, or wait until my contract is up and completely switch to a new gym. I have to say, for cardio purposes, it's really convenient and easy for me. No complaints there.

So, that's my 2 cents.
  • mshelyla
    mshelyla Posts: 36 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    To OP, regardless of the controversy around their mottos, PF fits my financial, fitness, and time needs. I have somewhere else I go for Zumba and other than that, no other local gym offers classes at a time I could take them so I'm not going to pay more at another gym for the option of taking classes I can't take. I also only use the weight machines or light weights (as of right now) so even in that regard it fits my needs.

Basically it's going to come down to what your needs in particular are and if PF meets those needs.

Quick edit to add - I just ignore pizza/bagel days. Just because it is there doesn't mean you have to eat it. And someone said that it's better motivation to see fit people and want to work towards their fitness level and I agree with that, but at mine there are definitely plenty of fit people for me to eye and I definitely do (subtly of course) :wink:
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Slight derailment - do they actually use that alarm? I'm really hoping it's just for show and not a real thing. :s
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Slight derailment - do they actually use that alarm? I'm really hoping it's just for show and not a real thing. :s

Not that I've ever seen, but maybe elsewhere.
  • ndj1979
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4

yup
  • mshelyla
    mshelyla Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I've never personally heard it go off, but I've seen others say they have heard it.