Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @cnbbnc exactly! Just because some don't want to lift heavy doesn't mean they're not meeting their goals or doing what works for them. I see some that just use the cardio machines, most look like runners. I am happy with my PF.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    @cnbbnc exactly! Just because some don't want to lift heavy doesn't mean they're not meeting their goals or doing what works for them. I see some that just use the cardio machines, most look like runners. I am happy with my PF.

No one said that...we just said their no judgement zone is bull
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lol...the stereotypes just keep on coming...people in other gyms are wearing flashy clothes? Most people in any gym I've been in wear whatever...I wear shorts and a t-shirt...

Good job PF...you have been very successful getting people to believe all kinds of stereotypes..

Yup, flashy clothes. I can only discuss what goes on in my area. I have three gyms that are very close to me. And I've tried all of them. The other two (which I will not name the names) For the most part ( most not all) people come in with their cute little clothes, sit around and talk to people all day. They don't want to sweat, they don't want to work out, it's a big fashion show and a meeting station. Not saying that this happens everywhere but I'm saying it happens where I live and I'm glad that Planet Fitness is not like that. Not stereotyping, just stating facts.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eh.

So I've been and that's my reaction. Eh.

I'm a solitary person and I like to be left alone to my own space when I work out. PF is large enough to where I'm not waiting on machines or cardio equipment. That being said, I'm not competitive. I just want a space to do some simple stuff.

I prefer the gym at my university, and I don't know why. It's more crowded, there are lines, but I prefer it. Maybe because the locker room is nicer and has showers you can actually use, as well as a sauna.

I DO prefer PF to the local 24 hour fitness, simply because it's bigger. The 24 hour is just too small and there isn't enough equipment.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I don't understand their 'no judgement' policy when they are judging so many people from the start!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I completely agree. I also think that anyone who is signing up for that sole reason has bigger issues to deal with. I really don't think the majority give a flip about it though. Does it make it right? Nope. But I still won't discourage anyone from giving it a try if it will motivate them to become more active because that would be doing them a disservice right out of the gate. Maybe they'll end up being one of many who shows up for a month and never goes back, but...maybe not.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

I completely agree. I also think that anyone who is signing up for that sole reason has bigger issues to deal with. I really don't think the majority give a flip about it though. Does it make it right? Nope. But I still won't discourage anyone from giving it a try if it will motivate them to become more active because that would be doing them a disservice right out of the gate. Maybe they'll end up being one of many who shows up for a month and never goes back, but...maybe not.

I agree It is fine for a beginner .myself and @cwolfman13 pointed that out on page 1
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So, maybe I should clarify a little why I appreciate planet fitness.
    There are a couple of gyms in the town I live in. I got a membership to one of them. It has a variety of equipment, a lot of free weights, and knowledgeable staff people.
    It also has the roiders.
    The roiders come in, scream at the weights, throw the weights on the floor, and leave needles in the bathroom. I’m not making any of this up. They also don’t rack any of their weights, ever. Eventually I joined planet fitness on the recognition that, for my purposes, I can just use a smith machine and dumbells <80 lbs, and do just fine.

I'm 42 and have been in and out of gyms and weight rooms since I was 15...I've never seen anything like this ever...I've known people who've used steroids too, and they aren't shooting up in the gym...it's not heroine. I'm kind of doubting the validity of this.

I would agree. I've been in different gyms for 40 years. Have worked out on vacation at 3 gyms that make the top 10 most hard core in the US lists.

Never seen anything like what was mentioned
  • cnbbnc
    Options

I agree It is fine for a beginner .myself and @cwolfman13 pointed that out on page 1

I know. I just hate the hostility in these threads although I understand and agree with the feelings behind it....

Anyway OP, it's a basic no frills place to workout. If you're looking mainly for cardio you'll be satisfied.

They say that they have trainers, but they really don't have people who are actual trainers. What they'll do is show people how to use the equipment and set up a basic workout plan to follow, but that's about it. If you do want personal training you can get a black card membership and bring your own in.

Strength training there has its limitations, but between the dumbbells/trx/cables and some of the machines....there's still plenty to work with (for most people) if you can work it on your own.

• gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I joined for 2 months to be able to work out while my oldest son was being tutored a couple hours a week, so purely for a time-convenience thing (my regular gym was too far away). I found the cardio machines to be 'hurky-jerky' that hurt my joints (the only way I know to describe it! There wasn't a smooth fluid motion to them). The free candies in huge bowls on the front desk, pizza nights, etc. just struck me as wrong for a business that has Fitness in their name.

However, if PF is the only gym near you and is the only opportunity you feel you have to exercise, then what we say or how we feel about it doesn't matter. Exercise is a deeply personal thing, so you do what you want! (I say try it and if it doesn't work for you, it was VERY easy for me to cancel membership! It was no-hassle and they never charged my card again.)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I just checked out Blink. Very PF like, but with better weight machines, battle ropes, higher free weight selection, more cardio machine variety, plyo boxes, stability and medicine balls. Not that much higher in monthly fees. I think I'm making the switch.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I just checked out Blink. Very PF like, but with better weight machines, battle ropes, higher free weight selection, more cardio machine variety, plyo boxes, stability and medicine balls. Not that much higher in monthly fees. I think I'm making the switch.

My friend belongs to Blink Fitness and likes it :)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I joined in September and have enjoyed it. There are 2 in my town, and both are a pretty decent size. I have never had any issues getting to any of the equipment. I enjoy running, so most of my workouts revolve around cardio, but I also enjoy their circuit training area. My PF has a loads of cardio equipment that has always worked well for me, they have a ton of weight machines, as well as their circuit area. They have a handful of cable machines, and a few racks of free weights. They have 3 smith machines, a circuit for core exercises, and an area that contains some eqiupment and mats for stretching. I have never heard the alarm go off, and considering their policy, there is a big mix of people that workout there. It's clean, always open, and the price is good.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

And my location has a lot of that. Weird how they all differ so much.... I've never heard of Blink.

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

And my location has a lot of that. Weird how they all differ so much.... I've never heard of Blink.

Wow! You have a really good location! Mine, meh. I don't know if Blink is regional, but there are quite a few opening up in NY. My daughter and her boyfriend left PF for Blink, and they're pretty happy.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used to be one of those that thought PF was a joke.

Now I love it, it fits my needs for now. Only $10 a month! Open 24/7. And at least in my area they have so much equipment that even at the busiest times I'm not waiting. I've also seen people deadlift and not get kicked out. I also was not given a list of rules when I joined either. Maybe that's only some clubs?
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Lynnmi07 wrote: »
    Years ago I used to be one of those that thought PF was a joke.

Now I love it, it fits my needs for now. Only $10 a month! Open 24/7. And at least in my area they have so much equipment that even at the busiest times I'm not waiting. I've also seen people deadlift and not get kicked out. I also was not given a list of rules when I joined either. Maybe that's only some clubs?

I didn't see any list either. The only paperwork I was given was a copy of my contract. Who knows....
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post no deadlifts?! I just got back from PF and I did deadlifts and so did a muscular man next to me. As I've done many times before.
    Yes, they have pizza night, I've never participated but once a month pizza isn't bad.
    Yes, if you throw weights, I mean really slam them staff will sound the alarm. Hardly ever happens.
    There's all types - muscle men and women, beginners, very fit to older gentlemen whom have worn jeans while exercising. As long as they're in there trying, hey, that's great. To each their own

How does one do deadlifts without bumper plates and/or a platform...the floor will get jacked.

You don't need bumper plates for deadlifting and a rubber floor is fine. If you need bumper plates, you aren't in control of the weight.