My cheap, easy, filling 1200 cal/day vegetarian diet!

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You eat this every. Single. Day? Sodium isn't a big deal if you have no health conditions that mean you should watch it so that's not a concern to me.

The lack of protein however, is worrying.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I actually googled to find out how duck-flavored anything is vegetarian. I've been poorer than I am now and spent a few years surviving on student food, but I've never been poor enough to eat anything that includes "artificial duck flavor."

Your Asian grocery usually has lots of odd flavored ramen packets and bowls
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    And are you going to eat this for the rest of your life?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Add in chick peas, lentils to your noodles.

Snack on cottage cheese to add both protein and calcium.

Fat seems too low also, maybe add a few hard boiled eggs chopped up or cashew nuts?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I actually googled to find out how duck-flavored anything is vegetarian. I've been poorer than I am now and spent a few years surviving on student food, but I've never been poor enough to eat anything that includes "artificial duck flavor."

Your Asian grocery usually has lots of odd flavored ramen packets and bowls

Duck itself isn't an odd flavor, but it IS odd to see someone recommend duck-flavored ramen as part of a vegetarian meal plan.

Often it's an ethical choice over a "yuck I don't like how meat tastes" choice. Hence the plethora of meat-like replacement products. So it's not weird at all really.

We have a product called Pot Noodle here in the UK, my mind was blown when I discovered I could eat the meat varieties (or at least some of them, it's quite a number of years since I had one!) because they didn't actually contain any animal products.

I'm no longer vegetarian, bacon lured me back.

Seeing products labeled as meat-flavored (without also having a label that clearly identifies the product as vegetarian) might be a regional thing; it's not common where I live. I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons and I wouldn't even think to pick up a duck-flavored product unless it was clearly labeled with something like "Soy," "Meatless" or "Vegetarian," because I would assume that the fact that it mentions meat in the product name means that I can't eat it. I'm pretty comfortable with that assumption, even if it means missing out on artificial duck-flavored ramen :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating like this? And are you sticking to it? What's your height and weight? It sounds unbalanced (too little protein and fat) and repetitive (are you eating the same every day?), and there are so many inexpensive foods you can eat in addition to ramen. Aren't Powerbars expensive for an everyday snack? And be aware that Furikake may contain "dried and ground fish", according to Wikipedia.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This diet sounds terrible but I'm totally eating ramen tomorrow, thanks for giving me craving lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another US/UK quirk. What you call ramen we just call noodles. There is a variety of noodle called ramen but it's not the generic. Same as we don't call pasta noodles, because pasta isn't noodles!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've eaten around 1200 calories today, which is less than I usually eat--my usual goal is 1500 to 2000--but I've not had much appetite lately:

Breakfast: chocolate banana protein pancakes (it's pancake day!) which consist of: 2 eggs, 1 banana, 15g chocolate whey protein and 15g oat bran, fried in a little butter and topped with a bit of a sesame carob spread I bought

Lunch: Veggie scrambled eggs from Starbucks and a grande skinny caramel misto (it's half filter coffee and half steamed milk. Tastes just as nice as a latte but isn't as filling. I find normal lattes a bit cloying)

Dinner: Linda McCartney veggie roast, baked sweet potato, stir fried broccoli and mushrooms (I meal prepped 4 servings of this today so it'll last as a lunch or a dinner for a few days)

Dessert: A dried apricot and almond bar thing

Plus tea and coffee - I tend to log 200 ml per day of milk to allot for those as I can't be bothered to measure my milk each time.

Totals: 1189, so just under 1200 (will probably have another snack later to get it over, maybe an apple or something). 109g carbs, 71g fat & 79g protein. Probably significantly lower in sodium, and a bit more varied. I personally can't get by on 25g of protein a day, especially as I'm pretty active. I start to feel really tired.

I really like ramen as part of my diet, and I bought some black rice ramen noodles which are awesome, but I tend to make my own broth with curry powder and a bit of chili oil.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love ramen but I think twice a day is a recipe for that getting old real fast.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you said yourself 45g protein is recommended amount and you are eating half that??? why???
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd be sad if I had to eat like that. I can do 1200 calories, that's not a problem, but where's the food? Yikes!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think OP has left the building.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the Easy Mac diet threads. Although I like Ramen a lot better than easy mac - and especially authentic Ramen from this restaurant near me. It's so yummy but not vegetarian - at least not the kind I get. But just packets of ramen from the grocery - I wouldn't last long eating that twice a day.