Lent

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the conversation, also. My observation on spiritual fasting is that it takes practice to keep the focus where you want it to be. The physical (and logistical) aspects of fasting can be really distracting. I.e. an inexperienced person could easily spend more energy trying to comply with a difficult fast regimen than on spiritual awareness. I've also been around a lot of people who view their Lenten discipline as a diet to lose weight and couldn't care less about spiritual awareness. With the proper focus, however, fasting can be profoundly humbling and enlightening. Best wishes to all who observe it for a holy Lent.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This won't answer OP's question, but I thought I'd post here since it follows with the discussion. So, if we're fasting today, the calories are not going to be met. MFP is going to give the "not eating enough" warning. Does this affect our diary recording streak? I love how I see my days increasing, as I'm not usually good at keeping with anything for very long.

The streak is for logging in to the site or app not entering things in your diary. You also do not have to click on the complete entry button to use the diary.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great conversation! Love this thread.

Throwing in my two cents that I feel like I'm giving up enough on this journey - I'm observant of Lenten requirements, but since it's not a requirement to give up something extra, I'm skipping it. All those extra calories? Yeah, Jesus, those were for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic. I remember Lent as a time to give up indulgences. I don't consider vegetables to be an indulgence :lol:

I may take the opportunity of Lent this year to give up excessive salt.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    On the other hand, I did have pancakes this morning! (Pancake/Shrove Tuesday.) My assistant usually brings in paczkis, but I don't think she did today.

The idea behind that goes back into the Hebrew text of leavening being related to the contamination of the world in our religious life. So cleaning out all the leaven before Lent? Might as well use it up. Hence Shrove Tuesday.

Raised Polish Catholic. Sugar, lard, and fruit also had to be used up prior to Lenten atonement. Hence paczki (which is plural).

Yes, I always thought it was originally a central and northern European custom from the days when their cooking fat would have been primarily lard (animal fat), not allowed in the days when meat was prohibited throughout Lent (as opposed to southern Europe where the customary cooking fat was plant-based olive oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    It is worth considering that during Lent, Catholics are expected to abstain from eating meat which might make this a challenging (and perhaps unhealthy) sacrifice to observe during Lent in light of what you are still going to be eating.

Only on Fridays (and you can still eat fish), but I wouldn't assume OP is Catholic anyway.

Historically Catholics abstained from meat (and various other things) for all of Lent, and that's one reason I like the no meat practice as part of my own observance, but Catholic rules these days are pretty light (as my friend who is Orthodox likes to tell me). ;-)

Your Orthodox friend may be spending Wednesdays and/or Fridays during Lent eating absolutely nothing at all until evening.

No it's not that (not as she understands/does it anyway), but their rules (or so she explains it) is basically plant-based and no olive oil (although shellfish apparently doesn't count as meat). Her family is Greek, for what that's worth.

And I agree with her--the Catholic rules are pretty non-demanding these days. Didn't mean to sound like I was questioning it or ignorant of why she said it, just joking about the discussion some.
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Alcohol. I don't need the calories of 5-6 drinks every weekend.
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yikes! The thought of giving up all grains, vegetables and fruits as well as anything with fibre or sugar in it (beans, milk, cheese, etc.) sounds awful and not what Lent is intended for. That'll make you sick!

Lent isn't a way for people to lose the weight they want to - is that what you're trying to do?

No. It's a family tradition to go no carb
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You'll want to do lots of organ meats. Preferably rare, so you don't get scurvy. There's a big long thread over on the "nutrition" board you can read for inspiration.

Scurvy is caused by a vitamin C deficiency. You can easily and cheaply supplement. Not that organ meats are bad or not loaded with other micronutrients, but not necessary to avoid scurvy.
  • Froxen
    Froxen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have given up processed food for lent
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yikes! The thought of giving up all grains, vegetables and fruits as well as anything with fibre or sugar in it (beans, milk, cheese, etc.) sounds awful and not what Lent is intended for. That'll make you sick!

Lent isn't a way for people to lose the weight they want to - is that what you're trying to do?

When did this tradition start? Just curious, as not all that long ago it would have been pretty burdensome and expensive, not to mention inconsistent with the traditional idea of Lent as a more meat-free time, as noted above. I also think traditions to avoid vegetables are, well, unusual.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Froxen wrote: »

I tend to eat more of certain kinds of processed foods during Lent, like dried beans, oats, tofu/tempeh, rice. Plenty of veg too, of course, but I don't tend to buy a lot of frozen veg even though nutritionally I think it's preferable at this time of year and of course it's cheaper. It just doesn't fit as well with how I usually cook. I'll probably try to do more soups and chilis, though, and that would work well with frozen. Canned tomatoes are something I use during this time of year too.
  • kiiibbb112253
    Options

When did this tradition start? Just curious, as not all that long ago it would have been pretty burdensome and expensive, not to mention inconsistent with the traditional idea of Lent as a more meat-free time, as noted above. I also think traditions to avoid vegetables are, well, unusual.

It started sometime around 2004 from what I can remember. It isn't that expensive. We just have to have a LOT of eggs lol.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    This won't answer OP's question, but I thought I'd post here since it follows with the discussion. So, if we're fasting today, the calories are not going to be met. MFP is going to give the "not eating enough" warning. Does this affect our diary recording streak? I love how I see my days increasing, as I'm not usually good at keeping with anything for very long.

The streak is for logging in to the site or app not entering things in your diary. You also do not have to click on the complete entry button to use the diary.

You don't even always have you log in! If the app is running in the background it sometimes counts that. Mr. Garage has an account and the app on his phone just to encourage me, he doesn't use it, and I keep getting told to congratulate him for logging in for 7 days or whatever when he hasn't touched it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I tend to eat more of certain kinds of processed foods during Lent, like dried beans, oats, tofu/tempeh, rice. Plenty of veg too, of course, but I don't tend to buy a lot of frozen veg even though nutritionally I think it's preferable at this time of year and of course it's cheaper. It just doesn't fit as well with how I usually cook. I'll probably try to do more soups and chilis, though, and that would work well with frozen. Canned tomatoes are something I use during this time of year too.

Those mostly aren't processed in the sense people mean when they say "processed foods" though, are they? Beans and rice are simply dried; oats are just rolled or cut. It's not as if we're talking about microwavable meals or cured meats or something. (Tofu/tempeh are indeed processed though.)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "We just have to have a LOT of eggs"

It sounds like maybe you are doing low carb rather than no carb, since eggs do have carbs?

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Those mostly aren't processed in the sense people mean when they say "processed foods" though, are they? Beans and rice are simply dried; oats are just rolled or cut. It's not as if we're talking about microwavable meals or cured meats or something. (Tofu/tempeh are indeed processed though.)

And this right here is the whole problem with the idea of "processed food". It's completely vague and undefined and everyone means different things by it, and yet people talk as if it's obvious what it means and obvious that it's bad. It's not obvious on either count.

Yes, there is some evidence of health issues with overeating what researchers stupidly dubbed "processed meats" (by which they meant specifically cured meats, and why they couldn't have said so just baffles me) but there is no evidence of health problems from "processed foods" in general, because how could there be when the term is so vague it covers everything from flour to fake cheese in a can? It's just not a meaningful or useful term at all.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

They are processed, and are certainly what I mean when I say processed. People using it to mean some unspecified subset of processed foods makes conversation so much less clear.

I would certainly not limit "processed" foods to microwaveable meals or cured meats. Dried is a process. I eat canned beans sometimes (the low sodium, no added ingredients kind), and those are processed. Pasta and bread are processed, dairy is all processed, skinless, boneless chicken breast and smoked salmon is processed. Fish and vegetables at a church fish fry (even if prepared really healthfully, not that it usually is, admittedly) = processed, since it's prepared for you (I'm assuming people are not including food they then process themselves).

I would interpret all unprocessed to mean (1) meat (and not skinless varieties or, of course, sausage or bacon or cured foods, canned fish, smoked fish), (2) eggs, (3) maybe plain milk, but not any kind of yogurt, cheese, etc., and (4) fresh fruits and veg and tubers. Pretty much that. And of course "fresh" fruits and veg many places (like in Chicago where I live) isn't really any more natural or whatever than processed (i.e., frozen veg and fruit) given that they have to be brought in from far away. One reason I use canned tomatoes this time of year is that I think grocery store tomatoes now are tasteless. (In the summer I buy local or grow my own, as they are one of the only things I consistently grow successfully.)

Probably a distraction from the main topic, though! It just always puzzles me given how diverse processed foods are that people see them as inherently bad.
  • kiiibbb112253
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    "We just have to have a LOT of eggs"

It sounds like maybe you are doing low carb rather than no carb, since eggs do have carbs?

No most eggs don't have any carbs
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You realize we actually need SOME sugar / carbs for brain function, right? No?

Okay.

He'll be ok, his brain will use glucose made from gluconeogenesis, the rest of his body will switch from using glucose to ketones.