lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Two eggs have about 1 g of carbs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    "We just have to have a LOT of eggs"

It sounds like maybe you are doing low carb rather than no carb, since eggs do have carbs?

No most eggs don't have any carbs

The USDA disagrees with you. One large egg contains .4g of carbs.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You'll want to do lots of organ meats. Preferably rare, so you don't get scurvy. There's a big long thread over on the "nutrition" board you can read for inspiration.

Scurvy is caused by a vitamin C deficiency. You can easily and cheaply supplement. Not that organ meats are bad or not loaded with other micronutrients, but not necessary to avoid scurvy.

vitamins are filled with carbs :wink:
    (but seriously: cellulose)
  • vchserica
    vchserica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do either grilled fish or chicken with jalapenos/grilled onions on top, and broccoli on the side. Seem to see results as long as I proportion.(picky about veggies)Steam broccoli in microwavable bag with A local cajun seasoning. This will def work for my lent menu as I rotate them depending on the day of the week. I love spicy food so grilled jalapenos and onions make any meal bearable multiple times in a week. Lol
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    @Kiiibbb112253 I'm curious what other things you do eat during Lent besides the eggs you mentioned?
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    @Kiiibbb112253 I'm curious what other things you do eat during Lent besides the eggs you mentioned?

Tuna in water, Alaskan salmon, certain kinds of sausage/bacon. But mostly eggs
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    whiplashy wrote: »
    I live in Ireland. Lent is a really big thing here. People would be horrified if you said you weren't giving up something for Lent. (Even if you're not religious! :D ) But I've never heard of someone giving up ALL carbs for Lent. It's not healthy and it's not in the spirit of Lent.

I best not tell anyone here I'm not giving up anything then :lol:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    6 weeks of eggs? I bet your home smells delightful!

This thread has been a fascinating education. There isn't a religious cell in my body but I have always had an interest in religious traditions and observances.

There was a period when giving something up for Lent, usually chocolate, was very fashionable amongst my peers. None of whom were Catholic.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any beef or chicken? Have you ever noticed any difference in your health / weight / physical being when you practice your Lenten discipline? Good luck with your next six weeks! :smile:

(btw - sausage and bacon do have carbs as well since they are processed meats.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yikes! The thought of giving up all grains, vegetables and fruits as well as anything with fibre or sugar in it (beans, milk, cheese, etc.) sounds awful and not what Lent is intended for. That'll make you sick!

Lent isn't a way for people to lose the weight they want to - is that what you're trying to do?

No. It's a family tradition to go no carb

A family tradition to eat only meat and oil, and no fruits, vegetables, grains or dairy for forty days?

How many in the family? Children?
  • maryrosehunt
    maryrosehunt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its not what you give up for Lent but what you do to please God. so you could do some good deeds or give to charities but of course don't brag about it, you could say extra prayers also. Good luck and may God bless you
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Raised and confirmed catholic. Even in high school, giving up something for lent was impressed upon us to be used as a time of sacrifice (like giving up chocolate or whatever) and any money that would have been spent on what was given up was suppose to be given to charity or the church. On a spiritual level we were told to spend the time reflecting on God. In some ways, they were even a bit vague when teaching us about lent (I'm not sure some of the teachers even understood what it was for).

Now? As a born again Christian I'm going to do what the Bible says. "Whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." That includes eating and drinking. I will be thankful for what I have to eat and drink and not worry about lent since it's not even in the Bible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kind of like Christmas, hmm. That's what the Puritans thought and it's a fair point if that's your approach, but I'm glad my tradition is otherwise. I teach CCD, and am pretty sure we explain it better, but I know religious ed can be dreadful some places.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Guys, let's tone it down. I really hope this interesting thread doesn't get closed.
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yikes! The thought of giving up all grains, vegetables and fruits as well as anything with fibre or sugar in it (beans, milk, cheese, etc.) sounds awful and not what Lent is intended for. That'll make you sick!

Lent isn't a way for people to lose the weight they want to - is that what you're trying to do?

No. It's a family tradition to go no carb

A family tradition to eat only meat and oil, and no fruits, vegetables, grains or dairy for forty days?

How many in the family? Children?

Oh no the children don't give up carbs. They just give up bread. Most of us who do the no carb thing started when we were 20