Where did my calories go?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Love people who post looking for help and then never return to the post.

This is literally my first day and I have no idea what I'm doing. Lol. Also I've been at work.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I am seeing a common post to preplan and prelog my meals! I'm going to try this tomorrow!! :)

Also to the girl who said to stop blindly eating - I totally understood what you meant! I think sometimes we choose foods without thinking or taking into consideration the choices we are making.

Thanks guys!!!
    Rach

See now? No snarkyness taken.. people just keep putting tones in my mouth without asking me first.
    If we stopped eating so many negative calorie foods, maybe we all wouldn't be so negative.. :wink:

:D:D:D:D:D LOL
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    In time you'll learn to find foods that have less calories in them. Here are some "negative calorie" foods. I say negative because it takes more caloric energy to eat and burn them off than they actually have.
    Celery
    Oranges
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Grapefruit
    Carrots
    Apricots
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Watermelon
    Cauliflower
    Apples
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Zucchini

Still count the portions and calories, but you can rest in knowing at least something that you eat will be burned off! Like previously said, you can get more calories by exercising. Even moderate or light exercise can gain you extra calories, so log the things you do! If it takes 15 minutes to vacuum the entire house, log it and get the free cals.

There's no such thing a negative calorie foods. (Well, maybe hay since we don't have multiple stomachs and the ability to chew our cud.) Many of the foods in the list have quite high sugar content and some varieties have extremely high sugar content.

True, and that just proves the point. If it takes more calories to digest than we can derive from it, it's not food for us. (Unless, of course, someone here actually eats hay. But I'd guess that's too extreme even for extreme Paleo dieters.)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Prelog your days. That way you can plan your calorie distribution ahead of time.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I find myself using up all my calories by mid afternoon that i barely have any for dinner. Anyone run into this and have any tips to offer?

Rach

What is your daily calorie goal? And what is your weight loss goal? If you put the numbers in correctly, MFP tells you how much you need to eat to comfortably achieve your objectives.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    so freaking sorry I said a !#@$ word.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    edited March 2017
    I find myself using up all my calories by mid afternoon that i barely have any for dinner. Anyone run into this and have any tips to offer?

Rach

Prelog.

I'll experiment with it ... put in what I hope to eat, gasp quietly to myself at how many calories that came to, and then I'll start making adjustments until I arrive at something I'm happy with.

Did that yesterday ... plugged it all in, then had to experiment with evening snack options until I found something that worked.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    In time you'll learn to find foods that have less calories in them. Here are some "negative calorie" foods. I say negative because it takes more caloric energy to eat and burn them off than they actually have.
    Celery
    Oranges
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Grapefruit
    Carrots
    Apricots
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Watermelon
    Cauliflower
    Apples
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Zucchini

Wishful thinking. :) If only it were true.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    so freaking sorry I said a !#@$ word.

I mean, it was a lot of wrong words strung together, but eh...

I get it's hard not to take being told you're wrong personally, but think about it. If you ate nothing but your list of so-called "negative calorie foods," you'd starve to death, no? Does that sound right to you?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    While those aren't zero-calorie [or "negative"] foods, they are foods that are at least good to have on-hand for snacking. Much better than a bag of chips, etc. Happy the misinformation was corrected on it.

That said, I tend to keep a pound of certain fruits/berries/stuff on-hand. For days I feel insatiable, it makes for a good snack THROUGH the entire DAY, pre-weighed and ready. A lot of my stuff is on that list. xD

A pound of peaches is only 178 calories. That's a good amount of straight up peach. xD So my snacking tends to edge itself off fairly well. Is also sweet and delish.

A pound of strawberries is 151 calories. I like using 0-cal chocolate or marshmallow dip with it. Yaasssss. Maybe dab of splenda if I'm feelin' frisky.

Apples are higher on that list, but I still get'm as they are incredibly cheap in the King Soopers 'discount produce' piles... 4-6 apples for $.99? Don't judge me.

But again, I nom these between meals slowly through the day, and they've been pre-measured at the 1lb mark for ease at day-end. If anything is left, I can just weigh -that- and subtract it from the pound to re-calculate what I'd eaten.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    A good place to start may be to make sure you're eating plenty of vegetables - especially the kind that aren't starchy. They fill you up and at the same time tend to crowd out higher-calorie foods, making it easy to keep your calorie count lower. Plus they are great nutritionally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Love people who post looking for help and then never return to the post.

Calm down, it hasn't even been two hours!

Amazing as it may seem to you and I, some people have lives outside the mfp forums...

they what?! :laugh: