Help settle an argument?

Options

Replies

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Well... if someone cooked for me.... id do the washing up no question!
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Work should be split even. If one say does cleaning, laundry, out door work (mowing etc.) and the other only has to cook and do dishes (it's not that hard really these days because it the dishwasher that does the work) that's pretty even.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This!

I do most of the cooking and dishes during the week but then I don't mow the grass or take out the trash most weeks. And once in a while...usually on the weekends he does the dishes and if he is gone or forgot because he is busy I take out the trash. If dishes are a priority for you and not the other person you will likely continue having the argument.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In my house I cook and do the dishes.
    Dh works all day outside the home to finance our lives, does the car maintenance and lawn care. I stay home with dd and do the the cooking, cleaning, laundry.
    If both dh and I worked outside the home all day then we would split household chores differently than we do now.

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    That's why I had kids.
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My wife makes me cook and do all the dishes, then asks for coffee while watching Bravo tv. The darling and her cat never get off the chaise lounge.

somebody is whipped....j/k that is sweet of you :blush:
  • Free2LiveAgain
    Free2LiveAgain Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    uhm.. whoever isn't selfish and lazy
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If the dishes are really an issue I would say make a list of all the chores, put them into your own groupings of which ones you dislike, feel neutral about, get some odd pleasure in doing. Then figure out which ones and how many you are willing to do off the other person's dislike or neutral list in exchange for them doing the one off your dislike list. Keep going until you have an agreement on who does which bit of housework.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Me and my fiance have been arguing about dishes for years. Who should do the majority of the dishes?
    The one who does all the cooking?
    Or
    The one who doesn't cook?

Doesn't have anything to do with who cooks; it's overall workload. Share it evenly.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I cook 98% of the time and I clean as I cook and use up pots, pans, utensils, etc. Also wipe counters, etc. After dinner, my boyfriend does the rest of the clean-up while I put away any leftovers, clean off the table, etc. It was never really a question for us. We settled into this routine fairly quickly. Works out we're both done about the same time and can have a nice glass of wine together while watching TV. :heart:
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The one with the smallest feet. They can get closer to the sink... lol kidding!! :)
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'd say the, person that isn't the; busiest and/or most active! If I had, a desk job & my Fiance was a construction worker, he'd be responsible for none of; the chores in our home!

I have a desk job and my husband is a construction worker and we share every last responsibility when it comes to our home, except cooking and laundry. He's a great cook and hates doing laundry so he does most of the cooking and I do most of the laundry (when my stepdaughter allows me to. She REALLY likes doing laundry.)

We have never really discussed the division of chores though. It's just become somewhat of a routine over the last 13 years. He gets home before I do so he just kind of developed a habit of starting dinner while I was on my way home and I started doing little things like vacuuming or laundry while he was cooking. I do help him as I'm a pretty good cook myself, he just enjoys it more.

Desk jobs aren't always easy. They may not be as physically labor intensive as that of a construction worker, but depending on the position, a desk job is just as mentally (and overall) exhausting. I worked in both fields to know. :-)
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Or... just do what my sister did and hire a housekeeper!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I think both of you should do it.

Maybe try this:

One of you stand in front of the other and then the person standing in the back pretends to be the hands of the person in front.

To clearify, like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjr0fHeiDU
  • pauljordan1
    pauljordan1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One wash, one dry, in my house.. :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I just let our dog lick the plates

..... clean enough!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Who does the cooking has nothing to do with it UNLESS there is equal work to bring home the bacon which you are cooking. If one of you stays home more and brings in less money then that one should do more dishes. If it's really an even split then all chores should be equally split. Some people feel that they are above doing household chores. These are people who need humbling. The question here is who does the cooking? If it is he who does all the cooking and he is saying the one who cooks should not do the dishes ask him if he would have that same opinion if you were doing all the cooking. Do you take turns cooking? Maybe if this issue persists try sharing the tasks evenly. Both of you take part in cooking and both of you take part in the dishes after.

All that being said, in this home my husband works out side the home and I stay home caring for the home and the kids. The only chores I ask are that he takes out the trash, change light bulbs, and do little fix it types of things. However when he does cook it is because he wants to fire up the grill and in that case he is NOT welcome to make a mess in the kitchen and leave it.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    ltawaacufz6z.gif

The dishes are done man!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Also, it is a proven fact that women find it sexy when men do housework and take care of kids. So why do so many fight it? They let their women become exhausted doing everything around the house and then wonder why they are too tired for sex. Maybe help out and turn her on at the same time. Duh.

I do not find it sexy. I find it responsible and considerate. If there are no kids involved this isn't a big deal of course because there is so much less work. Once children enter the picture it is just inconsiderate to sit around watching t.v. and never lending a hand to stir a pot, change a diaper, or at least put some dishes into the sink. While it isn't a requirement it is just a pleasant surprise. However you are right on about that tired part. Or should I say exhausted.