Options

Replies

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    mgibbons22 wrote: »
    After two years of maintenance, I found myself 10 lbs over weight. Because I am extremely impatient, I am going 1600 to 2400 calories, with 1000 - 1200 exercise calories, so a net of 600 to 1400 calories. It's not easy; it takes discipline but it works.

Hopefully your exercise calories are over stated. When we get closer to goal a moderate deficit helps our bodies fuel existing lean muscle mass more efficiently. The price for aggressive weight loss goals in often not lowering your body fat % by as much as you could have.

Men need more calories than women (unless you are very short).....because men have more muscle mass to start out with.

To be honest, I think Fitbit overstates the exercise calories :smile:

Calories are overstated by fitbit, MFP, and the machines I use at the gym. Plus everyone is different, that is why it is so important to monitor what works for each of us, and hopefully, consult with a health care professional to determine that what we are doing is healthy for us.

• worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I nearly died and am still dealing with the mental and physical consequences. Did not not enjoy the experience, 0/10 would not recommend to a friend.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 7 and wouldn't function on 1200. I eat at least 1500 everyday . Yes MFP will put me at 1200 as I have an office job but I just overrode it . I started in November and have lost 40 pounds. I would love to only eat 1200 but I know I cant do that for the rest of my life. I think it is really hard to get the protein ( and all the other nutrients ) you need when calories are that low. best of luck to you
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey! Yeah I'm on 1200 cals a day and I feel great and am sleeping like a log ((been on it longer than my diary says)) I exercise but even on days where I don't do a full workout, I can still spare calories for some chocolate or something! Like today I had one of my homemade vegan brownies, some white chocolate buttons and a Milkyway crispy roll:) only just gone over with my dinner added but still a workout to go:) x
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7in and eat 1900ish cals a day. I have 10 pounds to lose only. I remember first starting off with the 1200 cal range cause that's what MFP suggested. I lost the weight.. and then some. I lost hair, my nails were horrible, I was cold all the time, no energy (even though I forced myself to go to the gym), etc. It was the worst times of my life. Sometimes I'd be so hungry that I'd have stomach pains and I would eat only one mint so they would stop. Everyone is different, even with same heights, but I would really research what you are meant to be taking in a little while longer. Good luck!
  • buglesalmoncatgirl
    buglesalmoncatgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jodietownsend03
    jodietownsend03 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000-1300 Val's min-Friday and no more than 2000 on weekends and lost 5 stones last year I have an active job and walk 16,000 steps a day 6.5 miles. It's hard some days but others it's fine! Don't give in to cravings! It's hard my friend has biscuits n sweets all over the house so I have lots of fruit in to snack on or chocolate special k bars for just in cases!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    All great feedback. Thanks everyone.

I am 5'4". 32 years old. I have yo-yo'd more times than I can track (lost and gained 20lbs at least 4 times). I suspect my metabolism is slower, if you subscribe to that philosophy.

The MFP settings put me at 1200 for 2lbs per week, at 1370 for 1lb per week. To lose half a pound I need 1500-ish calories would be the amount to eat. Those are the numbers I am getting with the app.

I'm curious then, if this is what MFP is suggesting for you, which sounds reasonable to me, why your original post said you were aiming to eat below 1200 cals in order to lose?

What is the total weight you are aiming to lose? Are you logging your food, using a food scale for accuracy?
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

1000 calories is likely too few. Please visit the above website for a more accurate calorie count and additional information. If you are stuck, it could very well be because you are not eating enough. Now get off this board, read medically supported information, and have this conversation with your doctor.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I get 1200 per day. I have been trying to walk at least 1.5-2 miles a day but sometimes I miss a day. I just started back this week and I've been gaining all week and I feel like I barely eat anything. ugh.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello.

Have any of you been on a 1000-1200 calorie per day plan? Did you follow it strictly? What was your experience? (Plateaus, weight loss rates, sleep quality...)

It is what I am doing; I never had to go so low before.

Thanks kindly.

1200 - 1300 is maintenance for me at my proper weight, so yes, I have to dip lower when I need to lose. It's normal for me, but I fall outside of the general norm. I don't think the experience is any different than anyone else though....I just have to eat a bit less than others. And I am a meticulous logger, weigh everything - after 12 years of journaling I know the drill, believe me. ;)

I do get quite a bit of exercise - and while I track that on my FitBit site, I do not concern myself with how many calories I burned and if I need to "eat back" any. I try to keep below 1100, and really do best if I stay closer to 1000. If I do a LOT of exercise, and I find myself hungry, I will eat what I feel is necessary. But it does not ever really match calorie for calorie. For instance, I consumed 1036 calories on Sunday, and did a 17 mile bike ride that morning - at a decent clip, in a stiff cold wind. My Polar watch said I burned 579 calories for that ride. (Who know how accurate that really is, but all we have to go by is these devices, so...) I never found myself hungry that day - and did not feel like I had to eat extra to cover the calories I burned. But some days, I do. Yesterday I walked 4 miles, and rode about 18 miles, for an hour on the stationary bike at the gym. I was starving when I got home from the gym, and ate what wound up being an extra 300 calories. But I don't plan the calories/do any math on that stuff. I just eat what I need to, to feel good. I try to make sure get in my protein, and not eat too much sodium at night - that's really all I concern myself with. Oh and I have taken multi-vitamins, for years. That's a daily norm for me as well.

Are you teeny tiny?

LOL. Definitely not. 5'7". 61 years old.

You must have a medical condition then? Because maintenance of 1200 calories for a 5'7 woman would be significantly outwith the usual variation.

No, I sure don't. Healthy as a horse. No thyroid issues either. As I stated earlier, I am an outlier. I fall on the extreme low end of the variation.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    After reading the comments I am wondering if it has to do with height? I am 5'2 and MFP set me at 1200 as well.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    LisaPrust wrote: »
    I sorta hate to be in the minority but after over a year I have found that if I do not keep the calories at 1200 as well as work out 3-5 times a week, the weight will simply not come off ! Sad face. I'm 54, 5'8" and have gone from 227 down to 184. Still have 25+/- to lose! Good luck friend!

Holy cow! I'm 5'8", 176, work out 5-6 days a week lifting weights and I eat 1800-1900 calories and lose with that. Wow. I would be so hangry if I could only eat 1200 calories :s
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    LisaPrust wrote: »
    I sorta hate to be in the minority but after over a year I have found that if I do not keep the calories at 1200 as well as work out 3-5 times a week, the weight will simply not come off ! Sad face. I'm 54, 5'8" and have gone from 227 down to 184. Still have 25+/- to lose! Good luck friend!

Holy cow! I'm 5'8", 176, work out 5-6 days a week lifting weights and I eat 1800-1900 calories and lose with that. Wow. I would be so hangry if I could only eat 1200 calories :s

Yes it is pretty amazing how differently our bodies all work. I lift weights as well, and have done so for 30+ years (with one 5 year break in there!).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    After reading the comments I am wondering if it has to do with height? I am 5'2 and MFP set me at 1200 as well.

How old are you? Are you trying to lose > 1% of your current weight each week?

Shorties & older ladies will get 1200 before exercise.
  • buglesalmoncatgirl
    buglesalmoncatgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lots of diversity.
    Someone asked me why I'm considering going lower than 1200. Other calculators have placed me there, for weight loss at a rate of 2lbs per week. That's why.

My net average has been around 1290 or so, however.

I might add, I've spoken with numerous professionals (doctors, nurse practitioners, nutrition counselors) and I have received different advice.

One said I have to consume 1200 daily, that's it.
    One said intermittent fasting is the way to go.
    One kinda just agreed with all my ideas... occasionally giving me health tips and "venting" support.

Well, I'm still figuring it all out.
This discussion has been closed.