How do you drink your coffee?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I started drinking coffee for the first time last year, and now I'm hooked :worried: I've been a life long tea drinker.

I have mine with milk and no sugar. We have one of those little silver manual coffee plungers at home, but it's a pain in the butt and you end up with grit in the last couple of sips of coffee, hideous! We drink an instant coffee called lavazza, which tastes almost identical to brewed coffee.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Black and French Press. I buy various brands from the local hipster cafes or from Trader Joes. Sometimes when I'm in a bind, I don't mind Folders Coffeehouse blend.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you know you want to make it fancy, get yourself some sugar-free syrup for home.

I drink mine with a bit of milk. I buy Kirkland brand beans from Costco, as they're a good value, taste good, and are fair trade. My husband likes his iced, with chocolate milk, so we use a moka pot (stovetop espresso maker). If you're into the espresso-based drinks, that's the cheapest way to get them. $20-$50 for a stovetop moka pot.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee two ways...if I have energy will grind some whole beans and use a French press. Really like Kenyan beans.
    On a day where I just want a hot cuppa quick, I'll use Nescafe Gold instant.
    I drink it with 1/2tsp sugar and a splash of semiskim milk.

Can't stand drip coffee...yeech. Tried the pod coffee machines whilst staying in a hotel for a couple months...everything just tasted waaay too sweet and the froth was suspiciously not like real milk froth...it was like difference between cool whip vs real whipped cream...something was off and artificial about it. The pods are also hideously expensive. I mean I should not pay more for coffee than I pay for internet access ffs!

I will occasionally drink a medium Costa hazelnut latte...yummy but really not much nutrition to it for the calories it packs....so I do that maybe three times a year.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If you know you want to make it fancy, get yourself some sugar-free syrup for home.

Oooh I forgot, i add a few drops of peanutbutter or maple 0 zero calorie flavdrops sometimes to change it up. I've scoured our grocery stores, and there is no such thing as sugar free syrup here :confused:

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I blend in 15g butter and 30ml of cream (into a 400ml). This is breakfast and keeps me more than happy until midday.
  • Bill_57
    Bill_57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I buy whole beans at Whole Foods and grind them myself at home every morning. I like the freshness of making the coffee immediately after grinding the beans. I use a pour-over method. There's a ton of You Tube videos on how to do it. I drink it black, no sugar.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Costco/Starbucks House Blend is cheap for Starbucks. It's whole bean. Grind it large, French press and hot water kettle. If I'm feeling sassy, I add milk and stevia. If not, black.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If I'm drinking high-quality coffee, I'll either have it black or with some kind of sweetener and milk.

If I'm ordering it at a cafe and want something special, a nonfat cafe au lait is my go-to drink. Tastes like a latte, but not as much milk, and usually costs quite a bit less. (Starbucks calls this a caffe misto.) I add some sweetener to it and it tastes great. The steaming process does something to the milk so it tastes richer than nonfat milk normally does. If I want it extra flavorful, I may have them add some sugar-free flavored syrup to it too. Btw, you were asking about calorie-friendly concoctions. This is one. Not counting any sweetener, a large has about 70 calories.

If I'm making it at home, I'll make the coffee a little bit strong, then add sweetener, nonfat milk, and spices (cinnamon and ginger are what I'm using now). I don't bother using the highest quality coffee for this - either regular brewed coffee or even a good brand of instant are fine.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    At home I use a French press to make hot or cold brew. Illy coffee is good and widely available. I also buy some locally roasted brands. I really enjoy coffee and like trying different brands and different roasts. I usually drink my coffee black, unless it's crappy coffee - then I add milk.

If you want good coffee I'd avoid getting a keruig.

Sometimes I'll make expresso or a cappuccino. If I'm buying coffee out I usually get cold brew or nitro.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee black, but on the lite side of caffeine ... so I generally buy whichever brand at the supermarket is on sale that has half-caffeine ... and I normally drink 16 ounces in the morning, plus on many days I'll have another 8 ounces in mid morning. I do use a Keurig coffee maker, but not the K-cups. Instead, I have one of those little mesh coffe ground holders that fit where the K-cup would normally go. I use 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds for every cup I make. ... Actually, I prefer a French Press for making coffee but the Keurig is very handy and easy to use, except for dumping the coffee grounds and rinsing out the little mesh grounds basket.

At one time, I used to be able to drink high-octane coffee and then I loved to buy expensive beans and grind them at home. But now I get heart palpitations if I get too much caffeine.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love coffee... but fair warning to the OP, a medium McDonalds Caramel Mocha I believe is 290 calories. Not sure if they can make it unsweetened and/or if it would help. I stay away from anything other than black coffee which I sweeten myself with Stevia and a little light cream or almond milk. I like my breakfast too much to blow my calories on coffee. ;)

I got a small caramel mocha and the website said it's 250 calories with the non-fat milk. Worth every calorie :#

I actually found the copy cat recipe for it so I'm heading out in a bit to buy a machine and supplies-my grocery store carries the McDonalds brand coffees (I've noticed it when I've been in that isle buying tea), so I may just start with that to duplicate the recipe. I'll also be on the lookout for lower calorie syrup options. Getting lots of great ideas here though-thanks everyone!
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cream or 1/2&1/2
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black so I don't have to worry about calories. As a result, I go for light to medium roasts. Dark roasts are dark because they are roasted longer, and basically get kind of burnt, hence the reason they sometimes be too bitter. If I am out somewhere and their coffee is bitter, I will add just a little bit of cream or half in half. I have been known to doctor it up with cinnamon sometimes just for fun. I usually my drip maker at home, but have a stainless steel French press that i use while camping, since I don't always have electrical hookups, but I can always heat water. Stainless steel is more expensive than the glass French presses, but they won't break in transit. Every once in a while I will use the French press at home, particularly when I accidentally buy whole beans.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't like coffee. I only drank it in the past when working third shift but it still didn't keep me awake. :D
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    8oz of coffee, a scop of isopure whey isolate, and 8oz of chocolate milk.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    With a tablespoon of half and half in the AM, and maybe a cup of black coffee during the day as an appetite suppressant if I'm feeling extra munchie.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    French Press
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just strong black coffee. I can't stand the flavoured starbucks/McD rubbish, can't drink that.