Grunting -- how important is it ...

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Grunting should be reserved for that last tough rep or max effort, not every single rep like some tools.

The only time I ever grunt is when I'm powering over the very top of a beast of a hill while mountain biking. It's like super-charging that last bit of effort needed to make the summit. I also bare my teeth like an animal when I'm close to the top and feel like I need more power. It helps. I swear it does. But I never grunt with weights. I make faces, though. Probably really ugly ones...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't really grunt on purpose. It's usually the result of forced air expulsion rather than going out of my way grunting. I only judge someone if they sound like they are having kicking prom night sex while they are lifting.

Like go on with your bad self- but can you not sound... like that please.

I do make a god awful amount of noise getting up off the floor though- I creak like something else and I groan... a looooooooot.
    #sorrynotsorry
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Grunting should be reserved for that last tough rep or max effort, not every single rep like some tools.

The only time I ever grunt is when I'm powering over the very top of a beast of a hill while mountain biking. It's like super-charging that last bit of effort needed to make the summit. I also bare my teeth like an animal when I'm close to the top and feel like I need more power. It helps. I swear it does. But I never grunt with weights. I make faces, though. Probably really ugly ones...

I look so funny when I lift. I record lifts for form critique and I look so goofy. Lol
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    I can't help but observe the half reps and people working the weight and not the muscle..
    I recently started lifting (using a trainer to help with program but then I go out to the gym on my own) and this sentence struck me. I wonder if I am doing that. How can you be sure you are working muscles. I just assumed if you lift the weight you must be working the muscle. Any insight? Thanks.

• _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I can't help but observe the half reps and people working the weight and not the muscle..
    I recently started lifting (using a trainer to help with program but then I go out to the gym on my own) and this sentence struck me. I wonder if I am doing that. How can you be sure you are working muscles. I just assumed if you lift the weight you must be working the muscle. Any insight? Thanks.

So let's say I can bench 405 for 4 reps.
    When I go to do the bench, the ego says put on 405 --I'm going to show everyone that I can "do this" / look at me type attitude. Sure enough, I warm up, work my way up, crank out the 405 and move on...

What have I gained... not much especially if I do this all the time!
    I've really worked the weight but not my muscles.

Instead, what if I work my way up to a lesser weight focusing, on good form, really squeezing the muscle, and going to failure with a lesser weight?

Really working the muscle and not the weight? Long term, I think this approach will yield better results and the progress I want.

Additional Remarks:
    The same mentality can exist in general where you always focus on moving the weight, and getting to your intended rep count and don't concern your self with always trying to squeeze contract / work the muscle.

Do I sometimes just go heavy and perhaps have less form, sure but it's not all the time.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    thanks @ brobro that is a great explanation!.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't make sounds or faces when lifting, guess my 360 pound deadlift doesn't count.

Nope..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPY4HG5TOc
    I wish I had watched this earlier. Frickin funny and reminds me of home.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's good to laugh about the noises in the gym! Today there was a girl who was being pretty loud but totally killing it on the deadlift (respect!! ) lol..
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't make sounds or faces when lifting, guess my 360 pound deadlift doesn't count.

Nope..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPY4HG5TOc

He needs more 45s...

I've grunted occasionally on setting new PRs with hip thrusts...I also attempt to make eye contact with randoms to get the full creep effect.

I'm sure plenty of creepers are staring anyways! Lol!
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ^^
    Haha that's partly why I do it...just to screw with them...maybe even throw in a wink..the gym I go to is usually filled with all the high school boys by the time I go...very Mrs. Robinson. I kid...maybe.
    Options
    ^^
    Haha that's partly why I do it...just to screw with them...maybe even throw in a wink..the gym I go to is usually filled with all the high school boys by the time I go...very Mrs. Robinson. I kid...maybe.

Oh those poor boys! Lol!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I grunt and make faces at the very end of a rowing machine sprint. It's involuntary and not very loud. I hope.

I just noticed myself doing this today! Hopefully the lady leisurely pulling underhanded up to her chin next to me didn't mind.

I don't think I grunt when lifting. Definitely grimace. Possibly a small "uhhh" at the end of the last rep for a heavy push press...oh well.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I grunt and make faces at the very end of a rowing machine sprint. It's involuntary and not very loud. I hope.

I just noticed myself doing this today! Hopefully the lady leisurely pulling underhanded up to her chin next to me didn't mind.

Ha! Yes! There's this tiny woman in my gym who comes over in her matchy-matchy pink velour track suit and long nails, rows slowly with the worst possible form for 5 minutes, and gives me looks the whole time like I'm the weirdo.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    These are standard noises for me. I always have a pretty loud "shhhhh" before I squat. I mean the sound I made when I came up I definitely had no control over. I don't get dudes grunting though while they bicep curl 25s

Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    These are standard noises for me. I always have a pretty loud "shhhhh" before I squat. I mean the sound I made when I came up I definitely had no control over. I don't get dudes grunting though while they bicep curl 25s

I love the TAH!!!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    TBH I probably grunt while curling DBs too lmao
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Science has proven that grunting is a sound.
    As science is well aware, the louder the sound the heavier the object.
    So if everyone can't hear you lifting weights your doing it wrong.
    Thoughts?
    I grunt when I fart. What does science say about that?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    One of my friends who was visiting likes to get attention so he came to the gym and on every lift made girly noises like this: Go to 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiSDKmesXQ

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I think I'm the deflating kiddie pool. I'm so self conscious about making noise so I exhale hard but really quietly. Like this tiny little "hah!" sound at the end.