Looking for help to continue making progress

Options
I've been on my diet and exercise plan for almost 6 months now. In that time I've gone from 215.5 - 160.5. I still fluctuate up and down a few each day of course, and am still slowly working my way down, but it is very slow going now. I am very open to anyone who could take a look over my diet and exercise entries (should be viewable in my journal) and give any feedback about if I look to currently be on the right track for where I am. I'm no longer that concerned with the number on the scale, but more so with trying to burn off the rest of the stubborn fat, especially in the belly, and other common problem areas (chest, love handles, underarms.) I have not been logging any of my actual strength training specific so far, I just let my fitbit handle tracking my calorie burn from walking around at work and any running type exercise I do. I work a very active physical job and hit the gym 5 days a week, alternating between cardio and weight training. Looking very forward to any feedback and advice!

Replies

• britzyrose07
    britzyrose07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to 'spot-reduce' these areas. Overall body fat will have to come down. It's disappointing, but we don't get to pick which areas are last to lose the fat. Have a look at increasing your protein 10% or so at the expense of carbs and fat. If you want to get the stubborn last bit of fat you'll need to be in a calorie deficit. I doesn't have to be a large deficit, but to keep as much muscle as you can while losing the fat you'll have to keep your protein higher, between 0.6 - 1.4 g/lb/day. (I use 1 g/lb/day) has been shown to be more effective than less and more than that.

You might be interested in some type of intermittent fasting. Some people like it, tends to make it easier with calorie goals and in addition the theory is it burns a bit more fat stores than otherwise.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've lost 82lbs with another 18-20 to go. Feel free to add me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to tighten up your logging. I am assuming you do not because all your apples are the same. All your bananas are the same...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to tighten up your logging. I am assuming you do not because all your apples are the same. All your bananas are the same...

This^^ And maybe look into lifting some weight. That will change your body composition, which is more what it sounds like you want to do.
  • topher347
    topher347 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

This is one thing I have been thinking about since I do use general measurements for most of my food, I only measure some things that I can do with a scoop or measuring cup, but I know even that wouldn't be as accurate as an actual food scale.

This^^ And maybe look into lifting some weight. That will change your body composition, which is more what it sounds like you want to do.

I do lift 2-3 days a week, since I alternate with cardio days. Just haven't been great about logging the actual exercise, just started that today. I also do a decent amount of light-sometimes heavy lifting at work, I operate a machine where I have to load and unload large pieces of metal in and out of it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    topher347 wrote: »
    I've been on my diet and exercise plan for almost 6 months now. In that time I've gone from 215.5 - 160.5. I still fluctuate up and down a few each day of course, and am still slowly working my way down, but it is very slow going now. I am very open to anyone who could take a look over my diet and exercise entries (should be viewable in my journal) and give any feedback about if I look to currently be on the right track for where I am. I'm no longer that concerned with the number on the scale, but more so with trying to burn off the rest of the stubborn fat, especially in the belly, and other common problem areas (chest, love handles, underarms.) I have not been logging any of my actual strength training specific so far, I just let my fitbit handle tracking my calorie burn from walking around at work and any running type exercise I do. I work a very active physical job and hit the gym 5 days a week, alternating between cardio and weight training. Looking very forward to any feedback and advice!

55 pounds in 6 months - 9 pounds a month? Wow, that's quite a fast rate of weight loss! I'm assuming you may be getting quite close to goal, so a slower rate of weight loss will be healthier and more appropriate, frustrating though that can be. If you're still losing, just slowly, that may actually be a good course.

Have you looked at the recomposition thread for tips? It's a good one, and it seems like it might be in line with your goals soon, if not right now:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Tightening up the logging is also a good thought, as you're getting close to goal, if you want to keep a bit tighter reins on the process and make it more predictable.
  • topher347
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    You won't be able to 'spot-reduce' these areas. Overall body fat will have to come down. It's disappointing, but we don't get to pick which areas are last to lose the fat. Have a look at increasing your protein 10% or so at the expense of carbs and fat. If you want to get the stubborn last bit of fat you'll need to be in a calorie deficit. I doesn't have to be a large deficit, but to keep as much muscle as you can while losing the fat you'll have to keep your protein higher, between 0.6 - 1.4 g/lb/day. (I use 1 g/lb/day) has been shown to be more effective than less and more than that.

You might be interested in some type of intermittent fasting. Some people like it, tends to make it easier with calorie goals and in addition the theory is it burns a bit more fat stores than otherwise.

According to the days I've logged on MFP so far I get about 150-160 g of protein a day, so I could up it a bit still to get to 1 g/lb.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options

According to the days I've logged on MFP so far I get about 150-160 g of protein a day, so I could up it a bit still to get to 1 g/lb.

I don't think you said how close to goal you are. When estimating protein needs using a factor suitable for body-weight pounds, it's usually a good idea to use a healthy goal weight as the pounds. You don't need protein to maintain your fat stores; you need protein to maintain your lean body mass. (There are other, slightly higher, factors that can be used if you know your lean body mass - I don't recall them off the top of my head, though.)
  • topher347
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't think you said how close to goal you are. When estimating protein needs using a factor suitable for body-weight pounds, it's usually a good idea to use a healthy goal weight as the pounds. You don't need protein to maintain your fat stores; you need protein to maintain your lean body mass. (There are other, slightly higher, factors that can be used if you know your lean body mass - I don't recall them off the top of my head, though.)

That's one problem is I don't really have a set goal weight in mind. Probably more of a goal for body fat being somewhere around 12-15% or so. Just a loose estimate, but I've seen several people say that's usually the range they start really having definition in abs which is kind of what I'm going for. The calculator I used online put me at about 21% right now, so I probably don't have a ton more actual weight to lose, so I imagine it will be a slow process now. I changed my goal to 1lb a week so it would be more realistic.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

That's one problem is I don't really have a set goal weight in mind. Probably more of a goal for body fat being somewhere around 12-15% or so. Just a loose estimate, but I've seen several people say that's usually the range they start really having definition in abs which is kind of what I'm going for. The calculator I used online put me at about 21% right now, so I probably don't have a ton more actual weight to lose, so I imagine it will be a slow process now. I changed my goal to 1lb a week so it would be more realistic.

That's great that you've got a body fat goal. I was at around 25% when I started and just had a weight goal, then when I hit my weight goal (That I was skeptical I'd ever make lol ) I thought, why not have a six-pack? Now I'm around 14%, but here's the tricky part. It's really hard, or expensive, to get an accurate measure of body fat. I'd suggest using the Navy (google it) calculator which only uses height and waist circumference for males, then track your waist circumference every month or so with a cloth tape. I made the mistake of not taking measurements when I was bigger and now I wish I had. At least this way you'll see you progress even though you won't know what exact body fat you are. You'll get closer and closer then start looking lean (watch for your face to thin out) and then the number won't mean as much as how you feel you look in the mirror since we all look a bit different at the same body fat. Take face progress photos, you'll be thankful you did. :smile:
  • topher347
    Options

That's great that you've got a body fat goal. I was at around 25% when I started and just had a weight goal, then when I hit my weight goal (That I was skeptical I'd ever make lol ) I thought, why not have a six-pack? Now I'm around 14%, but here's the tricky part. It's really hard, or expensive, to get an accurate measure of body fat. I'd suggest using the Navy (google it) calculator which only uses height and waist circumference for males, then track your waist circumference every month or so with a cloth tape. I made the mistake of not taking measurements when I was bigger and now I wish I had. At least this way you'll see you progress even though you won't know what exact body fat you are. You'll get closer and closer then start looking lean (watch for your face to thin out) and then the number won't mean as much as how you feel you look in the mirror since we all look a bit different at the same body fat. Take face progress photos, you'll be thankful you did. :smile:

Thanks for the link, according to the measurements I took it put me at 20.15, so I still have a ways to go, but I'm making progress. I'll have to post up the current before and after face pictures I have, it's already a pretty noticeable difference from where I started.