March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    abdulsaif wrote: »
    New to the group and still beginner in running. I liked the idea of the group and excited to join :). My goal is to run a total of 80 Km by end of Match starting from today and I will update you guys with my progress here.

Stay motivated and wish you all injury-free runs.
    Welcome, and back atcha in the well-wishes!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    My ortho surgeon is always pushing me to go for more shoe and is a big Saucony fan but I feel like it's gonna be too much shoe for me.
    I'm not one to help with shoe suggestions, but I'm currently running in Saucony Marauder TR 2 (which I guess is supposed to be a trail shoe), and enjoying it. Well-cushioned, good toe box, not incredibly expensive. The cushioning does make it feel like it's pretty tall from flesh to road, but it's not a heavy shoe.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up on the thread.

Thanks for the orthotic recommendations @ritzvin and @lporter229 . I'll keep those in mind if I decide to try something.

@lporter229 Sorry to hear about your hamstring but glad the PT thinks you should be able to get back on par for Boston training soon. Hope your issue resolves quickly!

@MNLittleFinn Not the best news regarding your knee but glad to hear that it's not worse. I know that time off of running is hard, but take it easy and let your body heal up so that you can be injury free when you get back to marathon training.

@shanaber Beautiful pic of the mountains! And the vulture...cool but creepy!

@dkabambe Exciting about your first race...and a HM at that!

@BeeerRunner Looks like you're getting some great trail running in. I had to lol at the "glass" crack hill. I had considered the Chicago Spring Half Marathon too, but I'm already going to be in Chicago once this month and again two weeks before that race, so decided to try to find a closer half marathon.
    dpwellman wrote: »
    If anyone has any great shoe recommendations for overpronation I am ready to absorb all your shoe feelings
    @JessicaMcB FWIW, the PT that just did my gait analysis told me I overpronate a little bit, which is why she suggested that I might benefit from some simple orthotics with arch support. She was also happier with the Saucony Guide shoes than my Ghost Brooks (the two shoes I'm currently rotating between) since they're more of a stability shoe. In order to get the support that you need, you may end up needing a bit more shoe than you'd like. I guess you can always add an orthotic to see if that helps before you buy a clunky shoe that you aren't happy with. I'm no shoe expert though. If you're going to a running store to buy shoes anyway, I'd get an opinion from someone who fits for shoes.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up on the thread.

Thanks for the orthotic recommendations @ritzvin and @lporter229 . I'll keep those in mind if I decide to try something.

@lporter229 Sorry to hear about your hamstring but glad the PT thinks you should be able to get back on par for Boston training soon. Hope your issue resolves quickly!

@MNLittleFinn Not the best news regarding your knee but glad to hear that it's not worse. I know that time off of running is hard, but take it easy and let your body heal up so that you can be injury free when you get back to marathon training.

@shanaber Beautiful pic of the mountains! And the vulture...cool but creepy!

@dkabambe Exciting about your first race...and a HM at that!

@BeeerRunner Looks like you're getting some great trail running in. I had to lol at the "glass" crack hill. I had considered the Chicago Spring Half Marathon too, but I'm already going to be in Chicago once this month and again two weeks before that race, so decided to try to find a closer half marathon.
    If anyone has any great shoe recommendations for overpronation I am ready to absorb all your shoe feelings
    @JessicaMcB FWIW, the PT that just did my gait analysis told me I overpronate a little bit, which is why she suggested that I might benefit from some simple orthotics with arch support. She was also happier with the Saucony Guide shoes than my Ghost Brooks (the two shoes I'm currently rotating between) since they're more of a stability shoe. In order to get the support that you need, you may end up needing a bit more shoe than you'd like. I guess you can always add an orthotic to see if that helps before you buy a clunky shoe that you aren't happy with. I'm no shoe expert though. If you're going to a running store to buy shoes anyway, I'd get an opinion from someone who fits for shoes.

@OSUbuckeye906
    That would have been great if you were doing the Spring Half Marathon in Chicago too! A mini MFP MRC meet up!! Lol!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today the weather messed with my long run plans :/ I've done longer runs in heavy rain, but I drow the line at serious storms with lightning and/or hale. After a few hours of pacing in my apartment, I decided to run on the treadmill in the gym instead - after all, this is a cutback week, so the plan was only 19km. I thought that would be doable...
    Well, it wasn't, not for me. I'd never done more than 30min on a treadmill before, and maybe 10 treadmill runs in total over the past five years. I couldn't really listen to my audiobook, since the gym is too noisy and I don't like cranking the headphone volume up too much. The first 4km I kept busy playing with the speed, then I started changing the elevation back and forth between 0-5%, but there's a limit to how long that stays interesting, and the beep the machine made whenever I pressed a button to change things started to get on my nerves.

In the end, I made it to 14.65km. I know "running is 90% mental" and all that, but I just couldn't stand it any longer. 102 minutes running in place! I gave up, drove home, and three hours later, when the storm had died down to regular wind and rain, ran another 5.6km to make up for the missing distance.
    I know that there are people who run entire marathons inside. I have no idea how anyone can stand that kind of horror!

@_nikkiwolf_ Still totally in awe. I've tried music, audio books, TV, movies but still can't get past 30mins on the treadmill, so 102mins is unthinkable to me. I attempted to do 45 minutes last week - could only manage 6mins before realising the storm was preferable and going out. Got some funny looks from others at the gym!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    06/03 - 6.2 mile run, followed up with Interval & Chest ... might have been a bit OTT to extend my goal with 50 miles :) ... oh well, long month

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    30.5km (19 miles) today, quite happy.

mentally, nothing could break me, I really hope that this is not going to change, time passed so quickly and I didn't feel any fatigue

leg bothered me just twice, after 20k and 25k. I hoped it was 100% but i know i must be patient.

overall, a good 30k, now 3 weeks to marathon.

50k flat cycling tomorrow, sort of recovery, last week I felt very good after a 27k run

anyone who sings REALLY LOUD while running? is that rally bad? obviously not in a crowded place. curious because I love to let myself go for example whn on an open field but I also don't want to look psycosocial and get arrested, especially here where everyone stares at runners like they are aliens

@patrikc333 I just love this post. :heart:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thinking about doing cross tomorrow. My stupid left foot is giving me trouble (it's my shoes, they are beyond spent- can't figure out what shoes to replace them with though so this problem continues -_- )
    @JessicaMcB What sort of foot problem? I'm going through one myself (as mentioned above) at the moment.

@dpwellman I am fairly certain I've effed up (idk how, I'm not booking into my ortho over this lol) the bone in the top of my left foot, about two inches up on the tendon near my big toe. If I put any pressure on the foot it's fine but when the tension is released there is sharp pain and the area is visibly raised through my socks. My own damn fault since I've run these shoes so long I've worn holes on the insides of them and taken 100% of the tread off them.

@JessicaMcB Both my podiatrist and my physiotherapist recommended the following for overpronation:

Brooks Adrenaline
    Brooks Ravenna
    Asics Kayano
    Asics GT 2000

I've tried both the Asics, and am now on my third pair of Kayanos.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "Asics Kayano
    Asics GT 2000
    I've tried both the Asics, and am now on my third pair of Kayanos."
    I got along with Kayano21 very well, but with the 22 & 23 I suffered from heel pain. I have now switched to the Saucony Guide and Mizonu Wave, and the first experience is very favorable, with Saucony being the slight favorite
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,Total
    1/3,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1
    2/3,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    3/3,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    4/3,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    5/3,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
    6/3,,,,,,,,,,,,,7.1,,,,,,,,,,,,15.2

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Wow! I forgot to check in here since Friday and 132 posts to catch up on.
    Can't do it this morning - maybe at lunch!

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles
    3/3 - 34 miles biking
    3/4 - 28 miles biking
    3/5 - 4 miles

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Joanna2012B Congrats on the distance PR!

01 - 13.30
    02 - 9.87
    03 - 18.13
    06 - 13.37

Total: 54.67 / 200
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    3/1 - Hate starting a month on a rest day.
    3/2 - 5.0 miles.
    3/3 - Grrr...overslept this morning and have commitments after work. No run. Unwanted rest day!
    3/4 - 6.0 miles.
    3/5 - 3.1 'mill miles, then upper body weights.

exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.52 miles
    02/03 5.02 miles
    04/03 4.5 miles

exercise.png