Options

exercise.png

March 1 2.13miles

Total 2.13/37.81

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Got a question:

This past weekend, a very dear friend of mine passed away due to complications from ALS. He was only 44, same age as I am. I would like to find a race that supports ALS awareness, research, etc. Does anyone know of any such race, preferably in or close to the Chicago area?

http://events.lesturnerals.org/site/TR/Events/General?fr_id=1172&pg=entry
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    01/03 3.52 miles
    02/03 5.02 miles - probably wouldn't gone that far except my son was with me on his bike and wanted to watch a 400m cargo boat from the Bahamas pass by.

exercise.png

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    3/1 - cross-training - strength training
    3/2 - 7 mile general aerobic run (Holy wind Batman!)

Total: 7/145

215 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

I feel like we're in a Runners Anonymous meeting, lol. Hello, my name is Katie, and I also run my 'easy' runs too fast. :D But seriously, I'm loving all this pacing/bonking/fueling/science talk, it's a lot of great info that I'm filing away for when I start my first marathon training plan in July. You peeps are all awesome!

Today: Holy High Wind Warning run Batman! Winds were a good 15-25 mph, gusting to over 40. The good(?) news was that the wind was oscillating around a headwind, diagonal head/cross wind, and crosswind on my way out, so that it was mainly a tailwind, sometimes crosswind on my way back in. Of course, the preponderance of uphill sections lie on the outbound part of my route, so that wind just made the hills extra challenging, lol. I also wondered for a minute when I started out why my legs felt so tired, since I didn't run yesterday. But then I remembered that I did deadlifts, leg extensions, and weighted calf raises during my strength training session last night. D'oh! Oh well, good practice for running on tired legs. I am so happy though, that I've really been committed to getting back to lifting. It's nice feeling strong, and like I'm helping to ward off the potential for injury as I continue to build my mileage.

3/11 - Bill Fortune 10k
    4/9 - JFK Runway 5k
    4/29 - Run for the Wild 5k (through the Bronx Zoo)
    5/14 - Tinkerbell HM (Disneyland)
    6/4 - GW Bridge Challenge 10k
    6/10 - NYRR New York Mini 10k
    6/25 - Bay of Fundy HM
    7/ 8 - Women’s Distance Festival 5k
    9/10 - S. Nyack 10 Miler (registration not open yet)
    11/9 - Philadelphia Marathon (registration opens 4/1)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Bonked at mile three of last night's group run. Going to walk/jog 5.5 today-- just rest.

I hate to be technical here but with all the talk on marathon training and pacing and what not, this is a good time to bring up what "bonking" really means.
    . . .
    Activity induced hypoglycemia.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Bonked at mile three of last night's group run. Going to walk/jog 5.5 today-- just rest.

I hate to be technical here but with all the talk on marathon training and pacing and what not, this is a good time to bring up what "bonking" really means.
    . . .

Awesome. sorry for picking on you. I saw an opening to talk about bonking and just "ran" with it. *ba da dum*

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So, I was finally "smart" and plugged the from my last 15 mile run into the McMillan pace calculator and holy *kitten*, I've been running WAY too fast, if it's output is at all correct. it gave a E range of 9:48-10:42! I've been at least 15 sec/mile faster than that on average. I definitely need to slow down....not that I didn't know that, but another source of verification is always nice.

I had used my 5k PR time for pace before, but I figured that putting in the pace from my distance PR would be a much better indicator.

Thanks again all, for helping me have my "intervention"

Edit: Side note, using that 15 mile time, the calculator estimates a race time of ~4:21:00, (9:57 pace) interesting to see.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

. . .

Does anyone else also use this when talking about significant energy loss due to electrolyte depletion? Or am I the only one...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So, I was finally "smart" and plugged the from my last 15 mile run into the McMillan pace calculator and holy *kitten*, I've been running WAY too fast, if it's output is at all correct. it gave a E range of 9:48-10:42! I've been at least 15 sec/mile faster than that on average. I definitely need to slow down....not that I didn't know that, but another source of verification is always nice.

I had used my 5k PR time for pace before, but I figured that putting in the pace from my distance PR would be a much better indicator.

Thanks again all, for helping me have my "intervention"

Edit: Side note, using that 15 mile time, the calculator estimates a race time of ~4:21:00, (9:57 pace) interesting to see.

If you're a bit of a numbers junkie like I am, you might also enjoy the Daniels' Training Tables. I had downloaded it ages ago, but only just plugged in some numbers today. So many metrics! :o lol. All the way down to predicting how different weights and different temperatures will impact your times. It even includes the McMillan and Joe Friel approximations as comparisons. electricblues.com/html/runpro.html
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I have it..... so many numbers, so much fun...
  • jts1981
    jts1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1.53 miles in today

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Max HR on an easy run should be below average HR on race day.

So simple. Thanks, @MobyCarp I'll remember that!

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp your remarks on HR got me thinking. On my 2 15 mile runs, I was averaging ~165 HR. I'm pretty sure I could sustain that another while, but I really should be keeping my average HR at and under 155. Thanks for the HR info, it was cool to read
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp @Stoshew71 @BeeerRunner @lporter229

The discussion on marathon training is SO helpful! Cheers to @MNLittleFinn for kicking it off.

I'm building miles, and aiming to increase from January's 27 km to a 30 km later this month, so should I stop running Saturday's 5K parkrun at speed?

ETA: parkrun is the only speed work I usually do. I've run 351 km (218 miles) so far this year.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 3.5 mi.
    3/2 - 4.0 mi.
    March total: 7.5/100
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---Rest
    2---3.07 run/walk WIN!

3.07/31

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

. . .

Awesome. sorry for picking on you. I saw an opening to talk about bonking and just "ran" with it. *ba da dum*

Eh hem... Nerd. :innocent:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

. . .

Eh hem... Nerd. :innocent:
    Takes one to katie ow one
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @MobyCarp @Stoshew71 @BeeerRunner @lporter229

The discussion on marathon training is SO helpful! Cheers to @MNLittleFinn for kicking it off.

I'm building miles, and aiming to increase from January's 27 km to a 30 km later this month, so should I stop running Saturday's 5K parkrun at speed?

ETA: parkrun is the only speed work I usually do. I've run 351 km (218 miles) so far this year.

Glad my stubbornness and difficulty remembering advice is helping others
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm here. Not running much, but here.

45 miles seems like a workable March goal.

I spent the day clicking refresh a couple dozen times waiting to see if the NYC lottery would be kind. No such luck. I am now 0 for 6 on getting in by lottery!

I need to do some reflection and figure out why I would have been willing to get myself into marathon shape for NYC but cannot get fired up for any other fall 26.2.