March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Rest up man. You'll be tearing up the roads in no time! Good to hear you got it checked out. I'd bet a couple weeks of will be pretty good. Amateur guessing here of course. Great time to catch up on Netflix! ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    On the topic of sleep, I chose to skip my morning cardio workout in order to get an extra hour and I feel much better. Sleep is so important, that when I'm deprived, it affects everything and makes my workouts feel suckish.

I'll be back at it tomorrow. :smile:

Sleep is SO important in my opinion. In fact, I read all these tales of people getting up at 3.30am to go to the gym and all I can think is- wouldn't you just be better getting that as sleep?

There are definitely days where I forego a workout for more sleep. Doesn't help push the mileage but certainly helps the overall health.

Talking of mileage - I mentioned my dilemma of my friend wanting to walk while I wanted to run this weekend? Just found out she fell off her bike tonight and is injured. What have I done?!!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn sorry to hear about the patellofemoral syndrome, I'm sure the rest will have you fixed right up.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn sorry to hear about the patellofemoral syndrome, I'm sure the rest will have you fixed right up.

Thanks. Dr. was't 100% that is it, but she said that since the pain was where my Patellar ligament attaches at the bottom, that's the most likely diagnosis. She said rest is the best thing for it....the massage I got today wouldn't hurt either she said....LOL
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Patellarfemoral syndrome. rest, massage, NSAIDs let it heal. Dr wasn't worried since it wasn't in the knee.

My poor poor students..... I'm grumpy when I don't run.

Planning to take 9 full days off,minimum, even if I feel better. Dr didn't say how long to rest, just to ride it out, so I gave myself a minimum to stick to.

@MNLittleFinn - I'm glad to hear the prognosis is favorable. Some stuff that springs to mind:

1. Rest doesn't mean total inactivity. When you're not running, walk some. Maybe some elliptical or exercycle, whatever your knee will tolerate. Go gently. If anything hurts, stop doing whatever made it hurt. But you do want to move in order to stimulate blood flow that aids healing.

2. If your doctor doesn't have a preference on which NSAID, I've found it easier to be consistent with naproxen every 12 hours than with ibuprofen every 4 hours.

3. With no running, you calorie needs will go down immediately. Your appetite will not go down for a few days. Be warned, and plan accordingly. I've managed to maintain my weight through several injures, and I was hungry for the first 3 or 4 days every time; but I held to (reduced) calorie discipline. Other runners report gaining weight while injured. This is no big deal if it's really only 9 days . . . but treating it as if it will be long term is also no big deal if it's only 9 days, and important if it turns out to be longer.

4. When you come back, come back slowly. Run fewer miles than you remember running, and run them slower. The miles will come back if you build gradually, but running slowly is something you'll need for life. Or at least for as long as you're a distance runner. This episode is your first warning of *why* you want to run most of the miles easy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp thanks for the advice!

About the eating thing, I know that's going to be hard. I'm going to try to use this time to get back to drinking enough water, with tropes that the full stomach of water will also help with the hunger!

I was eating maintenence and deficit calories before I started running, so at least I know the drill as far as that goes.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March goal: lose (another)3lbs
    3/1 2.54 + core/strength training
    3/2 3.20
    3/3 5.25

Total: 10.99

@MNLittleFinn sorry you've been sidelined for awhile....do you have a pool nearby that you could swim or nonweightbear "run" in?

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.3r + 4.2w
    3/2 7.25r + 4.5w + 1000m row
    3/3 6.5r + 4.8w
    Total so far: 20.05r + 13.5w = 33.55 miles

Bonus run tonight! Friday's are usually a rest day, but my son was busy this evening so I took the opportunity to get some more miles.

My new shoes have shipped and I am very much looking forward to them getting here.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    WK: 2/27/17 - 3/5/17
    M - 8 m. TM - 9:30 pace.
    T - 10.4 m. TM - 8:50 pace.
    W - 3 m. TM - 10:00 pace.
    T - 7.3 m. TM - 8:38 pace.
    F - 9 m. TM - 9:20 pace.
    S -
    S -
    Total -

Upcoming Events:

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm back. Since I missed my February goal, I will stick with 45 miles for March.
    3/01-3.1 miles
    3/02-1.44 miles
    3/03-3.14 miles

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    March 1- 15km
    March 2- 18km
    March 3- 15km

48/250km

• Dancetoburn93
    Dancetoburn93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @midwesterner85
    Thank you for the tips ! Started with a power walk and ran at a decent speed and walked at intervals. Didn't clock in my miles though. Hope to do it from next time.

I feel amazing right now ! Have a great run everyone ! :smile:
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    04/03 - 9 miles (including Interval, and 7.5 mile training run) ... I have extended my mileage goal to 150 miles for this month, although that is not reflected in the ticker yet

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sorted a few things out
    new laptop
    gp certificate
    registered for Milan marathon on the 2nd april

4 weeks to prepare it, but considering I'm feeling better and I really need a new challenge, who cares, I've got 2 choice in the end

1)running it and finishing it
    2)running it and finishing it

I really have to say that I've never "stimulated" myself so much as in the last 2 weeks. PT suggested to add to physio an electrostimulator for a problem I've got on my thigh, and well...I must run now with the hand break on as I'm making times I was not making since 2015!this improves my mood and so my running and so on. the strenght i'm gaining back on my muscles is incredible!

on the negative side
    bought a *kitten* pair of shoes, really disappointed and wasted 100eur
    i destroyed my spine with all the commuting i was doing, found out what i've got now after MRI but really have to suck it up
    i'm a wuss going downhill with my bike, that is the most frustrating thing

so in the end March is for marathon preparation

tomorrow 30k.

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Good call on the knee. Knowing when to challenge yourself and when to allow some recovery is a good Runner's Instinct to develop. I'm still kind of astounded at the monthly mileage targets you hit ... lots of room there for some strategic healing.