• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Date,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,Total
    1/3,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1
    2/3,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @hannahbananna80 - there are lots of dog running partners in here! I keep thinking about it but haven't gotten one yet. I have a tiny dog who would be devastated if I left to run with a new dog each morning. I'd feel so guilty I'd probably end up taking them both of them for a walk, and I wouldn't get many running miles in.

4 very slow miles - still not completely recovered from being sick. But, it's better each day.

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    a short run this morning. Still not feeling the running love, which is awkward as I need to do 9 miles at the weekend, AND a friend wants to do a long hike, AND the weather looks bad.

All this talk of pacing is useful. I know I need to slow down, although it doesn't FEEL like I need to, but from what I've read, feel isn't always the best indicator. I need to suck it up and do a max HR test, but my HR seems to be around 175 on most runs which doesn't seem good to me!!

But I think time on feet is the most important thing, so I'm trying to aim more for time spent out moving than miles actually hit. So given that I'm struggling with the whole running thing and getting back into it, I'll do a run/walk at the weekend for a couple of hours. so say 9 minutes run, 1 minute walk, repeat 12 times.

and another thing - I did a T'ai Chi class last night - wow. now I hurt!! It looks so gentle!!!!

175 sounds high to me for an easy run, even considering that you're probably a lot younger than I am. So you made me look at some recent results. Here's my 4.4 mile race (4.34 by Garmin) from last Saturday:

1q40qb347h6j.png

Average HR 152, max 167. The max is right at the finish line, in keeping with the fact that my pace was fastest on a small uphill to the finish where I was competing to finish ahead of another guy. You can kind of see the nature of the 2 loop course in the blue pace chart; where I was slow was the other hill in the middle of the loop.

Here's the first part of the long run from the Saturday before, when I was pacing to an 8 minute mile:

u3nl1t4p3adm.png

Average HR 122, max 138. Because the target was 8:00, I had no choice but to slow down if I got feeling too good. There are also some short stops for traffic, and there was one pause at a water stop. That allowed some recovery time so the HR didn't go as high as it would on a technically continual run.

And here's the second part of the long run from the Saturday before, when I was running solo and finding some interesting hills:

uw6iy67ldzti.png

Average HR 130, max 144. By the blue pace chart, I see only 3 stops for traffic; the other pace variability is inverse to HR and correlated with hills. You can see that when I was alone, I ran a little harder on average but still controlled the max effort pretty well; part of why I pace for the training program is that I find it easier to slow myself down when I'm responsible for other people.

Younger runners will have higher HR numbers than mine, but the same pattern should hold. Max HR on an easy run should be below average HR on race day.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Interesting to read about pace and the need to slow down. For my longer runs (HM and up) I switch my watch to show just HR, and check that to ensure I'm staying around the upper range of easy or the very low side of aerobic; I tend to find that doing that and ignoring pace completely naturally slows me down. The only downside is having to get up even earlier to allow extra time for the runs given the slower pace.

01 - 13.30
    02 - 9.87

Total: 23.17 / 200
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    March goal: stay healthy and continue training for Grandma's.
    Nominal mileage goal: 175

3/1- 6.15
    3/2- REST

Total: 6.15

Today's notes: Not much to report. Rest day today, and a Dr. Visit tomorrow. My shin is still bugging me some, but it's not always in the same spot, which is confusing. On another note, my knee still hated me, though I'm 90% sure that's not directly running related. I was sitting on my knees, playing with my little guy on Tuesday night, and he pushed me over backwards, man, that did not feel good! My knee pain started not long after that. Ugh, not what I wanted going on right now.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    March 1st Ontario Canada...running in shorts!! It was a very wet run today, but very mild!!!

exercise.png

Wow - I'm jealous about the shorts. Also in Ontario Canada, but Northwestern and it's definitely not shorts weather this morning at -11!

Ya winter came back today ... :|
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    I am late to post my goal here due to my work travel. I am getting a run in today before I sit on the plane to head home. I am hoping my work/travel schedule lets up a bit and I can get in at least 100 in March. Going to go for 110 though as a stretch goal.
    I will be back later, maybe tomorrow, to catch up on the 5 pages of posts already this month!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2017
    @MobyCarp- That is interesting HR data. thanks for sharing. I am 16 years younger than you and I would say on average my HR is about 13-16 BPM higher than yours for similar effort runs (notice I said EFFORT and not pace. If I was running those paces all the time my HR would be waaay higher)!

@7Lenny7- So, did you go for the short run or not???

@garygse - When I was just getting into the 80/20 program and I needed to slow my pace down, that is what I did as well. It really helped to not know my pace and only focus on my HR. I had a vague idea of my pace because I still showed my time and distance, but it definitely helped me to not focus on it or obsess about it. I don't think you can really make progress until you break out of that mode of thought that your improvement is somehow measured by the pace of each run.

Today is day 7 of no running. Last night I did another P90X3 video, Total Synergystics, which has light weights and lots of movement. The legs held up pretty well through most of it. Then I did 20 minutes on the trainer to shake them out. I did another 30 minutes on the trainer this morning. I have to say, my hamstrings feel looser than they have felt in months (years maybe? Who knows, they have been tight for so long it's hard to remember...). However, the glutes are still sore when sitting. I am anxiously awaiting my PT appointment in the morning. Regardless of what he/she tells me, I know for certain that I will be reducing my weekly mileage and spending more time doing strengthening/ flexibility exercises. At this point, especially with not having a time goal, I think I need to consider that more miles may be doing me more harm than good.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Didn't meet goal in February. No good excuse. Picked up a couple of overtime shifts at work...so was unmotivated afterwards. Good weather though.
    It was 51 degrees in Indy yesterday, overcast with a cool breeze and headwind started at mile 3. I was able to run all but mile 8 under 12 minutes, averaged 11:30 per mile, max heart rate at 94 %. Plan on working on endurance and slowing the pace. In for 40 miles this month even though I didn't make 30 last month. Good start at 8 miles yesterday.

8 miles
    Goal...40 miles

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for March
    3/1 5 miles - 5
    3/2 10 miles - 15

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

It's my Panera Pounders group run day. Since I was the only one running 10, I separated from the group after mile 2 with a modified route to get my extra mileage in.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @mobycarp thanks for that. I know 175 is high (and I just looked at my most recent which averaged 162 so not as bad as I thought).

I've never actually TRIED an HR max test, but I'm beginning to think I should. I have worn my HR (chest strap) monitor only during 2 races and just checked the average:

July 2016 - 7.5k race, mostly flat ave. HR 183. Hot and humid day
    September 2016 - 10k with 2 evil hills ave HR 177 warm day.

I ought to try wearing the HR monitor more often a) to see the average and b) to just do the damn test. I find the minute I even get to WALKING pace my HR rate can shoot up to 140.

I have a feeling I should be aiming for under 140 bpm for an easy run, having said that, it probably depends on the level of fitness. I'm not superfit like you. For info, I'm 41 and took up running just over a year ago.
  • Stoshew71

Is it "normal" to have these roving pains while marathon training?

Yes. You are using muscles in ways that you never have before. Soreness and pain is expected. Things will be strengthening over time. This is why I believe that mileage building should be done wayyyy early and give yourself lots of time before race day. I don't like these 18-20 week plans where the goal is to build up mileage (mostly in your long run) with very little wiggle room and timing your longest run just 2 or 3 weeks before race day. I also believe that mileage building should be spread apart throughout the week and not focus mostly on your long runs. Think weekly mileage not just long runs.

Key thing to remember. You do not get stronger from running. You actually get weaker from running. You get stronger from the rest that comes after running. Running is just a stimulus and soreness and pains will be expected if you are pushing the envelope. If not, then you cannot expect any improvement.

The key thing to learn and learn quickly is to understand the difference between a hurt and an injury. A hurt you can work through. An injury you stop and heal up.

• Stoshew71
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    We've decided to spend Easter weekend in Kansas City this year since my daughter's college team will be playing in a national tournament there. My wife gave me three choices for lodging. I surprised her by picking the most expensive option. I didn't bother to tell her that I picked it because it was just a mile away from TRAIL RUNNING!! I've already got a 17 mile route planned.

I don't know why, but I just find this so funny. Enjoy @7lenny7
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Date activity Run dist (mi)
    1-Mar Yoga 60 min/onion-pub run 7.8
    2-Mar rest
    3-Mar rest
    4-Mar Ft. Eustis 10K

Goal (miles) 80
    left (miles) 72.2

2017 Races
    1/14/2017 Menchville Winter Chill 5K 22:12 1 AG 15 OA
    2/11/2017 Run for the Heart 10 mile 1:17:25 1 AG 12 OA
    2/18/2017 Gloucester 8K 35:04:00 1 AG 12 OA
    3/4/2017 Fort Eustis 10K
    4/1/2017 Joe & Sue Moore 5K
    4/15/2017 Victory at Yorktown 10K
    4/22/2017 Run the DOG Street 5K
    5/13/2017 Bull Island 4 miler
    5/29/2017 Yorktown Freedom 8K
    7/29/2017 Coast Guard Day 5K
    8/19/2017 Smart Smiles 5K
    9/16/2017 Mulberry Island HM
    TBD Poquoson Run with the Bulls 5K
    TBD Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler
    TBD Run with the Son for Haiti 5K
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    3/1 - Hate starting a month on a rest day.
    3/2 - 5.0 miles.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    @7lenny7 - You're cracking me up! No need to explain the choice of a hotel near trail running...it just means less time away from the family while you run as you don't need to go so far to get there!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - I agree with what @lporter229 says....

@MNLittleFinn if I remember right, you are doing some speed work and tempo runs while you are building up mileage? That is the risk when doing so. I suggest in my blog that when you are building mileage for a distance that you never ran, focus on that at an easy pace and not on tempo runs and speed work. Once you reach the mileage safely that you can even out to, then you add in tempo runs then after that sprinkle in speed work. What you can continue to do however is those short bursts or strides. 6x40 seconds is the most I personally ever done.

That was my takeaway from Moby's input.
    Thanks. While I love the speedwork, I've been thinking about taking the mileage from my speed assignments and just running them at E pace instead.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited March 2017
    3/1 6.3r 4.2w
    Total so far: 6.3r + 4.2w = 10.5 miles

Not sure what happened there, but on Tuesday my knee was in some pain, and it was gone by Wednesday.

I cancelled my shoe order from Amazon because I realized I'd ordered the wrong width. They only had D width in the [ten-eighty] v7's and I need a B. So I put in a new order on the New Balance website last night. It was the same price either way... can't seem to find any deals on the [ten-eighty] no matter where I look.

The hydration belt shipped today, so I'll be getting that soon and I can start testing it out.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - I agree with what @lporter229 says....

@MNLittleFinn if I remember right, you are doing some speed work and tempo runs while you are building up mileage? That is the risk when doing so. I suggest in my blog that when you are building mileage for a distance that you never ran, focus on that at an easy pace and not on tempo runs and speed work. Once you reach the mileage safely that you can even out to, then you add in tempo runs then after that sprinkle in speed work. What you can continue to do however is those short bursts or strides. 6x40 seconds is the most I personally ever done.

That was my takeaway from Moby's input.
    Thanks. While I love the speedwork, I've been thinking about taking the mileage from my speed assignments and just running them at E pace instead.

as a serious novice training for a first HM, this is what I am doing - completely ignoring everything any training plan says about speed, and just working on crunching out the miles. (although as we know from my HR comments above, I'm probably going too fast in my runs)

I figure the important thing is building the endurance. My body has never run that far before, so I need to introduce the idea to it. The only caveat, is because my HM will be hilly, I need to do some of my training on that sort of terrain.