March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    March 1st Ontario Canada...running in shorts!! It was a very wet run today, but very mild!!!

exercise.png

Wow - I'm jealous about the shorts. Also in Ontario Canada, but Northwestern and it's definitely not shorts weather this morning at -11!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Another first for me on my run this morning - a faceplant. got caught by a fine bit of bramble across the way, went straight down into the mud. I am not sure whether this was in subconscious homage to @BeeerRunner and the marathon spectacular, but it made me laugh some. Nothing like washing your hands clean in the dirtiest puddle you can find!!!

@girlinahat
    Oh no!! I sure hope the mud was softer than the pavement I landed on!! Lol! For both of our sakes, I'm hoping that was our one and only face plant! Lol!!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    The mid-section of my run follows a path for several miles that the wind seems to love (if it happens to be blowing in from the north), meaning that even slight winds tend to become exaggerated during this section, which in turn makes the slight constant incline of the path feel like hard work. Today was a northerly wind day; at least it wasn't a frigid wind like Friday.

01 - 13.30

Total: 13.30 / 200
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for March
    3/1 5 miles - 5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    March goal: stay healthy and continue training for Grandma's.
    Nominal mileage goal: 175

3/1- 6.15

Total: 6.15

Today's notes: Assignment called for 6 miles with 8x1min @5k pace, and I wasn't really feeling like doing that, so I ran the miles, but my run looked like this:
    Mile 1: 9:36- fastish E pace
    Mile 2: 9:18- Fast end of E pace
    Mile 3: 9:08- Goal HM Pace
    Mile 4: 9:00 GHMP- 8sec
    Mile 5: 8:27- Tempo Pace
    Mile 6: 9:05- Just faster than Goal HMP

Run went well, but now the left side of my right knee HATES me. It just seems like if it's not one thing it's another. My left leg is feeling OK today, so, OF COURSE, my right leg hates me....Go figure.....good thing I have a rest day tomorrow and a DR. Appointment on Friday.

Is it "normal" to have these roving pains while marathon training?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have a 12K trail race on 4/1. Last month, my goal was 60 miles and I failed at just shy of 50 miles. This is a longer month and I hope to be less busy later in the month (I ran maybe once or twice per week during the last half of Feb.).

My March goal will be 60 miles again. I will work on developing a ticker later.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Run went well, but now the left side of my right knee HATES me. It just seems like if it's not one thing it's another. My left leg is feeling OK today, so, OF COURSE, my right leg hates me....Go figure.....good thing I have a rest day tomorrow and a DR. Appointment on Friday.

Is it "normal" to have these roving pains while marathon training?

Yes, yes and more yes. As I think @Orphia stated in the Feb thread, you will always have some sort of niggles that bug you. You just have to pay attention to them and figure out when it might be something more. I would never advise anybody from seeking a professional consult for any aches and pains that are bothersome. At the same time, you can also drive yourself crazy if you worry about every little ache and pain.

I have not had to deal with too many injuries over the years, but in my experience, I know when it's something to be concerned about if it doesn't go away after a week or two, if it intensifies as I run, and if it's not better after a day or two of rest. Maybe some others can jump in and give you their experiences on determining the difference between an overuse injury and normal wear and tear. Right now I am dealing with my hamstring issue. I am still not sure if it's an actual injury/condition, but I know that the soreness has been getting worse instead of better and a few days of rest did not make it go away, so that is why I decided to seek the advice of a PT.
  • cknott9
    cknott9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    3/1 2.3 miles done
    Goal 35 miles
    Left 32.7 miles

The wind was killer today!!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 100 miles! :)
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Goal 80 miles.

I'm cutting back this month and working more on strength and stability training since I only have an 10k early this month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thanks. My current goal is to try to slow it down. Today's run was speed, but I have a rest day tomorrow, and Friday is an E run. Saturday is supposed to be a FFLR, but because I ran one 2 weeks ago (unplanned because of a watch issue), I'm going to keep my LR at E this week.

Next week is another step up in mileage, so I'm going to focus on keeping my pace a bit slower in my E Range. Current pace has been faster than my Stretch goal marathon pace, so I know there's PLENTY of room to slow down and still be running a pace that I would be ecstatic with for my marathon.

Thanks again. You, you've given me a ton of great insights, now I just need to remember them WHILE I'm running, instead of going "oh *kitten*, MobyCarp warned me about that" AFTER I run.

Edit: I just did the math, and my AGERAGE pace for my easy runs over the last 7 weeks has been 9:37.....with a 9:55 GMP, I know I can slow down.